COTA 2019: Pre - Race thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

COTA 2019: Pre - Race thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Oct 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I don't want to clutter this thread with my advice.

Any logistical questions like this I'd be glad to answer in my "BigTex Goes Wild down South Congress with Jimmie Vaughan and Jesse Dayton" discussion in the Texas Section.

I did just run across two 3 Day GA wristbands thru my Volunteer Squad, so that's how tickets and wristt bands start to roll!!

It's said "The town does no care about F1" but when I bust into the Broken Spoke in my crew gear, they know!! Be there Thursday night for sure....

2. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Good, I like COTA , fingers crossed. Mexico was such a siesta.

3. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Big Tex, appreciate your comments...keep posting....I want to make the most of my 3 days for sure. I’m a track rat at Sebring and really love the close up area for the 12hr race. I get F1 isn’t like that. I enjoy watching the crews working on the cars as much as the racing. The secret behind scenes stuff

I’m a drummer....you mentioned Jimmy Vaughn....is he playing out this weekend?

4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    greg328 likes this.
  6. 'Don't know about his IQ but we sure do re: his M.O. (modus operandi)......

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Friday night at C Boys Heart and Soul, on South Congress just north oft Live Oak, is the Michael Flannigan Trio, there's an old guy on lead guitar, named Jimmie.

His hair is perfect......so is his tone.

mdrums likes this.
  8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, that's HIS tour......I think I'm right but if not, walk south a block and ask me for a drink!!
    You would need to pull up the Club schedule for C Boys, grab an Austin Chronicle....

ALSO ALSO ALSO go buy the Austin American Statesman THURSDAY as it has F1 magazines SPECIAL on our race, maybe Friday as well but today for sure its in there FREE

I'll be there in three hours guys, headed to Broken Spoke, kind of a tradition.

9. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    BigTex, ypsilon and stavura like this.
  10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Lol thanks... I'm staying at the Fairmont so probably not far

11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #40 I'm 360 Canuck, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    We’re at turn 4.
    Stop and say hi ;)

on the way back to the hotel today, we saw josh snowhorrns McLaren Senna leaving COTA. Crazy car.

met Gasly at our hotel also,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

DIGMAN52, trumpet77, ypsilon and 2 others like this.
  12. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Saw proof this evening that F1 is in town when going north on Red Bud in Round Rock I passed a mini-caravan of a Ferrari (I think 458/488?, but could've been something else exotic) and a winged Lambo going south. Give a shout if you are out there - I waved in the red TR.

13. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #42 I'm 360 Canuck, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Bumped into Danii Kvyat at breakfast
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

otoh, end of day traffic is insane, cabbies are up charging what amounts to extortion, and the free wifi at COTA hasn’t worked yet...what is it, 1997? No big deal for Americans, but us foreigners get raped with roaming charges and prevents us from calling an Uber.

DF1 and trumpet77 like this.
  14. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Wow. Just wow. I’ve never in my life been to a more disorganized post race traffic pattern in my entire life. We sat in line in Lot L for over an hour not moving until people went out and stopped traffic ourselves to let cars out. It took almost four hours to get to the airport. Insane.

trumpet77 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  15. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Ya, for a track in the middle of nowhere, traffic was insane. Cabs and Uber were avoiding it as well.

trumpet77 likes this.
  16. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I'll pile on, and say yes, this was bad traffic. In the COTA and F1 surveys after the race I told them what I saw, so rather than go on and on, it was not great.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oh God, my Monday night date was at the Fairmont and my phone would not even give me a route to it!

Sweet baby Jeebus I got there ten minutes late at 6PM and all was saved..but what a cluster &^%&^% Downtown from construction......

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I am well aware as I have UK guests for the rodeo!!
    They can call me but I cannot call back!!

The answer is to enable the country you plane to be in on a Phone Plan, if I tell Sprint to add the UK to my bundle cheap enough...
    But I never though of it before I asked that Irish Girl to marry me during the Rodeo..
    :D :D :D

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I may well be the only person in the world to address that with COTA and they may not like it.

I have the Traffic Plan they sold the project with, and someone forgot the check is all
    I can propose...

so intersection control was not there, and I knew it going in at 9:00Am after changing a dead battery after the Time Change!
    but it was too late...

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Any Cab or driver worth his salt would have gone out there early to recon, it's a HUGE place and after dark even worse....

The designated pick up lot IS out of the storm center, but missing shuttles meant a half mile walk on gravel to find it and then....nothing.
    The other thing to know is that Uber uprates the rates for "Density" at the event.

There are tales where a Houston woman road IN to the rodeo from kingwood for a $40 fare, but getting out was $350!!!
    Its in the software and you have no idea until your card shows it!!!