Hypothetical for the forum... | FerrariChat

Hypothetical for the forum...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by davemqv, Nov 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As the years go on and things go the way they seem to be going, I often wonder what will happen to old cars if internal combustion engines are banned from the road, or very strictly limited to events, shows, parades, etc.

I remember seeing an E Type that was converted by Jaguar into an electric vehicle, and thought that it maintained it's elegant looks nicely. But clearly some would no doubt rather say "adieu" than convert their car to an electric engine, and some not.

So I'm wondering...IF the choice was between A) your old Ferrari becoming a glorified paperweight/inert sculpture and B) converting the car to an electric motor and being able to drive it anywhere, anytime, what would you do? Would the aesthetics of the car's exterior design and the richness of the cabin warrant the conversion even if it meant living without the original Ferrari engine? Or is the engine so integral you'd rather just park it and stare at it like a sculpture- still not using the engine but just knowing it's there?

Genuinely curious. I go back and forth on this.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE
    - do not go P&R on me here. Please limit yourselves to the hypothetical question asked or simply don't respond, or go start a parallel thread in P&R and rant to your hearts delight, but let's leave it out of this conversation. Likewise please don't explain why this will never be a real problem. I get it. As a lover of cars, I hope you're right. But this is a hypothetical. Door number 1 or door number 2 only. Danke.

paulchua likes this.
  2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I will be dead when this happens...one way or another if you get my drift.

EastMemphis and davemqv like this.
  3. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
  4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I doubt it. Its coming faster then we think. Just think..it only took us less then sixty years from the invention of flight to putting a man on the moon.

The ICE powered car is a dinosaur on its last legs. Bad for me as I make my living servicing those very dinosaurs.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Just like all those flying cars that everyone predicted we'd be driving?
    No one knows what the future holds. I'm driving my Ferrari until they turn off the tap on the dinosaur juice.
    T

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thought I read somewhere that there isn't nearly enough of the minerals available to build enough batteries. Now they might or will come up with new battery technology but with how they are making batteries now there is no way ICE is going away.

daytona355, wax and pilotoCS like this.
  7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lot of interest from some companies in replacing lithium with more abundant metals like sodium and magnesium. Lots of technical hurdles though...T

8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A or B!!!!

Sheesh! Lol.

Honestly the (non-political) opinions are fine if you feel compelled but at least please give your likely preference...convert your car or let it sit undriven for all of eternity.

9. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Hopefully by then I can buy Venezuela for $29.99 and invite all my Ferrari friends to bring their cars to a fossil fuel paradise where there will brand new high speed roads and world class race courses.:)

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I don't have any problem with it. Put two panels of batteries where the gas tanks are in the 360 and an electric motor in lieu of the engine.. and I'm good.

It will COMPLETELY change the car... but I could go with it.

I'd love to know how the battery manufacture is less carbon emission than ICE for a weekend car though.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The demise of the piston engine has been predicted for years! It will be a long time before it totally is banned. I won't convert. I like anything with pistons and pollutes the air. Call me a dying dinosaur!

Bertil and daytona355 like this.
  12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    When I said one way or the other I meant life would have no meaning without ICE...exit stage left like Madame Butterfly. I am just days away from 74. Doubt if ICE will be non-existent if I make it to average age of around 80.

Otherwise sayonara ...Goodbye, cruel world.

daytona355, Jack-the-lad and jm2 like this.
  13. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    I’ll take new option C for the special occasion cars. Move the cars to a country without the regulation (probably ones with oil fired economies) and fly to them to drive as holidays. Lots of low mileage cars are used so sparingly to make this a valid option. Just need a secure storage facility with a servicing option close buy.

Or wait for someone brighter than me to find the loophole that allows them to be used regardless. No way will every vehicle be replaced by electric AND the time it will take for transition will be massive.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Agree with Y not, but I guess that means the answer is A. No doubt that even in the unlikely event this will happen in my lifetime they will at least be able to run on a private track. So I would keep it as a track car, or as Y not mentioned move it to a country that would allow its use.

Without the sound and feel, what's the point?

daytona355 likes this.
  15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Sorry to sidetrack. The answer to the original question for me is A.

16. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    After being driven around in a Tesla Model 3 for a few days, I'm not afraid of an all electric Ferrari at all. It would be amazing. I'll never give up my 360 Modena manual, but I'm probably going to get a Tesla for my next DD.

There still needs to be a revolution in battery tech before electrics can replace ICE cars completely.

Boomhauer, Jaguar36 and MalcQV like this.
  17. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    I'd be more concerned with all of the nannies required on cars getting to the point of removing, if not total driver involvement, so much that there is no way to have an engaging drive in a vehicle short of being on a closed track.

To answer the op, I wouldn't convert a car to electric and I wouldn't add all of the potential electronics required to allow it to shuttle me to and from my destinations in the manner deemed best for the pubic good.

daytona355 likes this.
  18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    A... If all cars are electric, I may be driven in an autonomous electric crap but I don't see the point of modifying an authentic car.

daytona355 likes this.
  19. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    A

I won’t be swapping out anything on the car regardless of other directions or technologies.

Robb

daytona355 likes this.
  20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Not to mention those batteries are an ecological nightmare of their own. At some point people will come to their senses on that. Gas may not be the energy source for much longer but I don't see batteries as a long term replacement.

daytona355, 375+ and Jack-the-lad like this.
  21. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #21 Jack-the-lad, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    A.

Because sooner or later people will come to their senses. There is no viable, long term, economical, versatile, absolute replacement for fossil fuel.

But I’ll tell you this: Car enthusiasts around the world....and there are millions, just look at all the car events of every type....need to join up with clear thinkers on this issue to exert some influence. Right now we’re not in the conversation. The go-along-to-get-along manufacturers, led by green eyeshade and marketing types, are more a hindrance than a help.

Caeruleus11 and daytona355 like this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    My view is there won't be an outright ban, similar to how steam cars were never banned (at least here in the states) - just too many ICE cars.

Now say they are banned, yeah - probably donate car to Museum.

23. Marco Polo

Marco Polo Rookie

Jan 14, 2017
    Cheshire, UK
    B

I'm a philistine - who needs a sculpture?

Marco

tomc likes this.
  24. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Hasn't VW committed to only building electric cars after a certain year? They have a program called Electrify America and putting in thousands of charging stations.
    No, I would not put an electric motor in my 430

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

25. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    answer A. The engine is THAT integral to me, for this car. I really don't have much interest in owning it without the engine. I'll sell it to someone who may be willing to 'B' the car.

Kevin

AD211 and daytona355 like this.