Maserati Bora - Picture Thread | Page 28 | FerrariChat

Maserati Bora - Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Ron S, Sep 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I would not put too much faith in that honest John database and let's not forget right hand drive Boras were not only sold in the UK. Australia, New Zealand (theoretically Japan but Japanese wanted cars like in Italy ie left hand drive.
    the honest John thing also fails to account for cars that are unregistered, stored.
    So the statistic is better than what that page shows. It is however true that England's climate (in which cars parked outside are constantly wet for about half the year) was disastrous for these cars and that English roads, with their bumps and dips, usually damp or wet, are very treacherous for a car like that hence more will have been crashed there than in other countries.

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    You have a PM Bob.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    To be more precise regarding my post about the honest John data it does in fact account for off the road cars, ie cars not in use, SORN in that UK government database but it does not mean ALL cars stored away are counted, they just don't know about other ones. The honest John Khamsin data proves it, I know far more cars actually still exist in the UK.

4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #679 71Satisfaction, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    o_O 483 is an unfamiliar Bora production number. Having always read 564 with a 289/275 split between 4.7 and 4.9s, I wonder where the difference in production numbers comes from? Is it just "Cozza says" 483 vs the automotive journalists? ...or has this pot been stirred too many times already? :oops:
    - Art

PS - I found this thread on the topic here: https://www.************.com/threads/bora-merak-s-n-and-actual-made-really.19746/

5. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I'll chip in a photo to keep the thread on topic.. :D
    ..an interesting comparison in size. This is Plymouth's mid-size platform for 1967..

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Modulo_B likes this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Shoe box and jewel box:)

red27 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  7. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #682 71Satisfaction, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    ..you may notice a relation of this "Shoe Box" design to the iconic 1961 Lincoln Continental. They were both designed by the same stylist. In that regard, this Plymouth is rather interesting as far as such cars go, and we chose it with care equal to that of the Bora.

After Elwood Engel styled the successful 1961 Lincoln Continental for Ford, he was lured away to work for Chrysler. The 1966-67 Plymouths represent his early work at Chrysler. The Satellite was Plymouth's mid-size Personal Sports Luxury model, were given Plymouth's Premium 'Western Scroll' Interior, and were limited to 2-door hardtop or convertible models. Standard engine was a 273cid small block V8. Since the Plymouth GTX was offered on the same platform with a 440cid engine standard, the Satellite was rarely ordered with large engines. We are the 3rd owners of this particular 1967 Satellite. It was customer-ordered in Evergreen, Colorado with a 383 big block V8, which makes this one of 96 delivered. Further, the customer ordered DD1 Light Metallic paint, P6B Dark Blue interior and White convertible top. They optioned it with glass rear window, dash clock, courtesy light package, outside remote mirror and 3 front, 3 rear retractable seatbelts. Dual circuit drum brakes, front torsion bar suspension, and typical American power steering and silky smooth automatic transmission keep it going down the road.

Though he organized his department around design teams, he oversaw, guided and had final approval of all Chrysler designs from '63 to '73. The most historically known designs were probably the '63 Chrysler Turbine car and the '68 Dodge Charger.

For all you Euro-philes, Elwood Engel also designed the ubiquitous 1959 Ford Anglia...

Cheers! - Art

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Come on Bora owners Art is doing all the heavy lifting and keeping the picture thread alive.Thought i would post a picture prior to assembly.
    ATTACH=full]2847294[/ATTACH]

71Satisfaction and MK1044 like this.
  9. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
  10. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Hello---

Not familiar with your gorgeous Bora!
    From the pic obviously a very very early Bora---Very late 1971 or first months of 1972!
    Factory euro with no hood slats etc.

So good to see a proper spec Bora.
    Congrats!

Would love to hear her story!

Regards.

am117au likes this.
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes a very early car it even has the square headlight covers as opposed to one corner being rounded which was implemented early on.

am117au likes this.
  12. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  13. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
  14. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    I acquired this car about five years ago and have been enjoying every second in it.
    As we all know, these cars are so far above their peers!

15. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    FASCINATING---Mine is a few VINs BEFORE yours---July 1972 delivery in Milan---yet with the later rounded headlight covers!
    Mystery of all things Maserati continues:

71Satisfaction likes this.
  16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    not really, just because the chassis numbers are sequential, doesn’t necessarily mean the build on the line was sequential.

17. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    [QUOTE="italiancars, post: 146886847, member: 7129"
    ]not really, just because the chassis numbers are sequential, doesn’t necessarily mean the build on the line was sequential.[/QUOTE]

As I said:
    Mystery of all things Maserati continues...

MK1044 likes this.
  18. Astonish78

Astonish78 Karting

Sep 11, 2014
    Hello,

i don`t know if i`m 100% correct, but i know there are 3 types of Headlights from the Bora.

First series - completely angular headlights
    Second series - Outer lower corner rounded
    Last series and most common - both lower corners rounded off

Best regards

Zdenek ;)

19. Astonish78

Astonish78 Karting

Sep 11, 2014
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I am sure you are right Mr Z:)

21. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I wonder why Maserati change the configuration of the headlight bucket from the original roll out? Any thoughts on why they made the change. I know why the hood vent took place or at least I think that it was due to the desire for improved cooling. That would be logical but what benefit did the change in the headlight bucket produce?

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Nothing to do with engineering, purely aesthetical reasons, the square version looked clumsy, amateurish simplistic whereas the rounded edges are slicker. There may also have been another reason. This hypothesis comes from an anecdote an American Ferrari BB512 owner told me years ago: he was traveling on the autoroute in France in the 80's at about 250kph/150mph (far fewer controls and radars then than now) with his wife asleep next to him and approaching a tunnel he raised his headlights. What he did not expect was the force of the air stream slamming them up in place to the extent that it made a big noise, BANG! His wife awoke, startled, and asked "What did we hit".

Well the Bora headlight cover version with rounded corners has less of an exposed area for wind resistance. This may all seem fanciful in a country with 55mph speed limits and considering these cars are now mostly concours animals sadly but back then they were really used for fast continental travel. Maserati's test drivers were testing the cars at high speeds including at night and on the Bologna Florence autostrada which has lots of tunnels so this could very well have been one of the reasons, just my 2 cents.

23. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Another consideration could have been the change in the mounting of the front hood from being hinged near the windshield to being hinged near the front bumper.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  24. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Or the other way around? - Didn't the early Bora's hinge at the front, and the later ones hinge at the rear? I've seen several front-hinged '71s and my '75 is rear-hinged. (PS - My headlight lids have both corners rounded)