1978 Ferrari 400 GT Chassis 24019 | FerrariChat

1978 Ferrari 400 GT Chassis 24019

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Nov 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

In the continued spirit to document our cars... Here is some info and pics of Chassis 24019. 24019 sure presents well!

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ferrari/400gt/2218154.html

Cheers,

Sam

1978 Ferrari 400GT 5-Speed
    Color: Blue Exterior with Tan Interior
    Mileage: 14169 KM
    Chassis: 24019
    ASking: $115K USD

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

550nitis and Il Tifoso like this.
  2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #4 raemin, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Lots of engine oil residues on the gearbox, considering the car is reportedly less than 20.000 kmh. I've only seen once a car that was less than 15.000km, and it looked different. Also there is quite a bit of wear on the left side of the driver's seat (where the safety belt usually scratches the leather).

So, very nice car, but I would ask for the detailed maitenance record and check for mileage consistency. If the large o-rings of the timing chain covers have been cut one could legitimately suspect that this car was subject to a deep maintenance, which is not supposed to occur before 50.000km. Just my 2 cents...

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Asking 115. Will be interesting to see what it sells for. I've heard there are 5 of these in the US. Anyone know for sure?

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just adding Documentation on 24019, which is now on BaT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-ferrari-400-3/

Cheers,

Sam

5. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio

The color combo on this car is amazing! I have been so back and forth on buying one of these and driving it often... I just hear lots of mixed reviews on how much of a PIA maintenance is. I'm considering doing a 550 instead.

Anyway, beautiful car. First bid was 50k and it hasn't moved.

6. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    The odometer on this car has turned, so the mileage is 115k. Full documented history as it was in the Algar family of cars. Tom Vaill who currently owns Allferrariparts that some of you may know is the seller. Has had the car for a while.

7. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio
    This is good info to have! At 115k miles I feel like that should be clearly stated on the auction. Maybe I missed it

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It is 115k kilometers (about 70k miles), and it is in the comments, if not in the auction text. Still looks like a lovely car, especially with the history it has. I would love to own it, but just don't have a garage spot for it right now.

9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    My father had a 456: engine maintenance wasn't any cheaper than on his 365. From memory he had an issue with the camhafts journals, the mechanic billed roughly the same amount of hours as when we had to drop the head of my 400i (which is more work).

Just like the 400/365, a 456/550 is "vintage" now. The issue with these vintage prancing horse is that they are still fast and potentially dangerous car unless well taken care of. After more than 20 years you've got to assume that suspension, brakes, fuel lines have to be taken care of. This plus the regular maintenance of the engine & transmission which is directly linked to the complexity / original price tag of the car (not its current market value). Finally, after so many years a few electric/electronic gremlins have to be addressed in order to offer a reasonable amount of ease and comfort (on a 550 solving such issues is not going to be straightforward).

If you want to avoid costly maintenance, the best bet is to buy from an owner who kept the car for an extended period of time and did not defer maintenance to the "next custodian".

Schumi likes this.
  10. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Ashman, samsaprunoff and Schumi like this.
  11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Ruben,

Indeed, a great price for a nice car and even more so for a well preserved, well maintained, but unrestored car. That said, I think one of the reasons why the final price reached the level it did was because there were two buyers that really wanted the car. It will be interesting to see if this sale price has any influence on future sales.

Cheers,

Sam

Il Tifoso likes this.
  12. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    I attribute the sale price to a combination of factors. The car had good provenance with over 18 years of ownership by Algar Ferrari, complete with full dealer records. Secondly, the seller was actively involved and highly responsive in questions about the vehicle. As he is also the owner of Allferrariparts.com helped. Third, the car was well sorted and in a less common but nice color. The only original item missing from the car which I was surprised was not noted by any of the Tifosi watching was the lack of the mini suitcase toolbox that sits in the wheel well.

Il Tifoso and samsaprunoff like this.