Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 111 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I wrote a review of the 488 a few months ago and I extolled its virtues and there are many. It is a stellar performer on all objective metrics and is an exceptionally capable car.It resides in a select group of super cars , along with the 720S and Performante. I fully comprehend why someone would purchase one over the other depending upon ones preferences. I have sufficient driving experience with the 488 to make a determination how it would be differentiated compared to the F8. For me, the 488, inspite of all its excellences, did not create the emotional stirring and visceral thrill that is central to my list of priorities. Hence, my hope that a highly evolved version of the 488 that should theoretically heighten the level of driver engagement, became of interest. I am still wary that the F8 might not satisfy my predelictions and this issue will be resolved once I drive it. It is not relevant for me to go back and drive the 488 again. Once I experience the F8, it will either satisfy my hunger for the type of super car I desire or it won't. And if it does not, the objective improvements of it over the 488 are of little pertinence to me.

Viperjoe likes this.
  2. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
  3. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Look forward to your review comparing it to your 488. like you I don’t care about outside sound. When your car gets here this winter this will be one of the earliest customer delivery in the US congrats

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    this sounds pretty good to me and looks very quick.

Ash Patel, stavura and REALZEUS like this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #2758 Shadowfax, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Fair call, but it would be difficult for anyone other than a 488 owner (who has become familiar with the characteristics of their car over time) to be in a position to extrapolate the real differences between these two. No doubt F8 has advanced the engine and chassis - Ferrari is highly unlikely to make the new model worse - but at this high level of performance and chassis development certain differences can become very difficult to gauge without having a solid baseline experience with the outgoing car.

Furthermore, knowing you have been critical of 488's engine sound, being one reason why you chose your Perf, it seems somewhat unrealistic to expect the F8 will deliver to your expectations in this area given the obvious. Then there is the rawness factor in the driving experience. F8 would if anything be even more composed in chassis behavior and, insulated than 488 and this I suspect is why the last two users have reported being somewhat underwhelmed vs their experience in the 488.

F8 will no doubt be a sensational car but for someone already used to, seeking an even more improved version of that raw super connected special event type driving experience I very much doubt this car will be the model that delivers upon those particular elements. Ferrari has already made the model for drivers with those types of expectations (Pista).

Clearly F8 is very fast however, based upon the feedback from the 2 members here, the improvements appear to have further insulated the driver, enabling the car to be driven faster and even easier than before. Some may like that, but then some of us prefer more of a connection and engagement - more drama and, theater from the exhaust!

6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    When it comes to engine sound, the Perf is singularly so satisfying and exceptional that I am not expecting the F8 to compare. While some are disappointed by the exhaust note of the 488, I found it more than acceptable bearing in mind the forced induction origins of the power plant.

The F8 will need to be compared not to the 488 but to my standard of adrenaline inducing, viscerally stimulating and intimate driver - car connectivity which is the Performante. If the F8 can elevate the emotional involvement imparted by its driving dynamics, then the F8 will find a home in my garage. If it fails, it will be put up for adoption.

Thecadster likes this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    That sounds a very costly way to find out when a test drive would clear up any doubts. It appears by the recent vids prospective buyers are progressively being offered track experiences. I was also offered a 488 track experience - which I took up - prior to pulling the trigger. It was actually the track drive that got me over the line as prior too the other two test drives had left me unconvinced. Maybe you should be pressing your dealer for a drive or have the deal set up so you have the option of bailing out if the test drive or track day doesn't convince?

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My dealer will not have a demo until summer. We have agreed upon a mutually satisfying solution.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Sounds like you are describing the 600LT's character! :D More connection and engagement...

Shadowfax likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This is very true. And the sound is louder .... although the kicker is the laggy engine. :)

You raise an interesting point. All things considering the 600lt would be the more compelling to drive, and the depreciation may even prove better based on current 488 values.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    Makes me happy and sad all at once....

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Solid State likes this.
  12. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Aerodynamics/downforce is not perceptible on the street.... unless it’s the autobahn and one is going around a sweeper at 200 kph+. Heck, I can’t even feel my Senna’s downforce during spirited driving.

Garretto and Jcmd like this.
  13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Quote from another thread

On October 22 there were NO F8 on the production line

14. Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil Karting

Jan 2, 2016
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marc Brunner
    I’ve read there will be a short production run for F8. Is this a official information from Ferrari or just a guess?

Gesendet von iPad mit FerrariChat

Ohanoune likes this.
  15. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Guess right now, the rumor is LB unveil in 2020 with production beginning after the summer shut down. When they would end F8 production, no clue right now.

Silberpfeil likes this.
  16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I have driven a very familiar road with my F car in normal wind conditions as well as 60-70 mph windy gusty conditions.

the F car is barely unsettled. That’s thanks to the aero.

The other cars I pass get buffeted around and you can see that in how cautiously they drive.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Aerodynamicists say that in road cars aero works over 100 kph.

Ohanoune and of2worlds like this.
  18. Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil Karting

Jan 2, 2016
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marc Brunner
    This timing would indicate that there is no space for a f8 tributo vs what I thought should be the case to generate some more profits...time will show:)
    Sent from my HTC U11 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Theoretically it’s working at 10 kph, but the differential in downforce between a base 488 and a Pista at 100 kph isn’t noticeable by a human. The incremental 50 or 100 pounds (if even that?) of air pushing down on a 3,200 pound car at that speed is not meaningful.

My Radical had a fair bit more aero than a road car and stopped understeering through constant radius corners as I accelerated and crossed 140 kph. Turn 4 at Road Atlanta was the best test for this. Turn 1 there was nearly flat.... in fact it probably could be if I was 25 years younger

of2worlds likes this.