360 - 360 trev ODB SAK Tool | FerrariChat

360 360 trev ODB SAK Tool

Discussion in '360/430' started by Hacan, Oct 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hacan

Hacan Rookie

Mar 8, 2015
    360trev said few mounths ago ''They are developing a low cost alternative in the form of my ODB SAK Tool that can do everything an SDx machine can do and much much more''

is anyone have info about this

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Ask Trev

he's the expert

You may have to wait a bit for a response if he's having tea with the Queen!!!

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Trev is still on his hols, so hopefully I'm not stepping on his toes by commenting on what he's told me. He is indeed working on this; I understand his provisional plan is that the SDx functionality would be a bolt-on to the SAK tool that you would pay a small fee to access for a set amount of days/weeks/whatever (having already got yourself the SAK).

He's a busy lad though; not sure how far along he is with this, but he's spent enough time developing this that I get the impression he's committed to seeing it through.

360trev likes this.
  4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Sorry I've had a lot on lately and just haven't had spare time to complete it. This work is not my day job so sadly it's best effort affair for me. I will get something ready soon I promise!

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    trev.. hopefully we can get the 360 tool..... before the other marques, models pull you away ;).......

you are a real asset to our little community.
    cheers.

6. akagan

akagan Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Avi Kagan
    I'm also super interested in this. I just bought my first Ferrari, a 430 Scud, and haven't been super impressed with the options or costs. I'm also quite familiar with automotive firmware in case I can be of any help.

7. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Question: Of all the ODB device out there, which ones work on a Ferrari, and specifically a 360?

8. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I use a foxwell NT-520. Works with both engine bank ECUs. It can actually do quite a bit. It will not communicate with the early TCUs on an F1 car, but will with 189542 and onward. For $300 it's already paid for itself. I always keep it in the car.

If you do get one, it will only get access to both engine banks if the immobilizer is disabled.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Thx ima—. Just picked one up. 140 from foxwell

10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I have the same tool too but beware its rather crude and isn't always correct in its descriptions. This comes down to the fact that majority of diagnostic tools do not differentiate between OBD codes for a US spec car and ones for an EU car.

Sometimes in a crazy situation the damn OBD codes overlap and mean completely DIFFERENT things on an EU car than a US car so you need to double check any description it gives you about a fault. I think from memory it decodes for US spec cars, not EU or grey import correctly. Also it doesn't come remotely close to doing all of the K-Line commands for diagnostics above powertrain (engine) ecu's. Yes it can do a few things but pretty basic. The error codes can also be completely different too depending on the version of the firmware. See picture for an illustration so sadly its not always accurate!!!

To help assist with correct diagnostics I will provide some help. If you want to know the correct decoding of the P codes I will release a free app soon where you enter the engine ecu part number and it will list all the fault codes and you can search for the correct P-code definition for your exact firmware.

Trevor
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper, MCASEY and Mimmo Blue like this.
  11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    You most likely got the NT-510, this is the one that I use, has done me well, but I will probably upgrade to the 520 at some point if it's worth it. I don't think either of them will talk to the Airbag system

12. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Matt, It's the 520. While I was in a newer car, I was too excited that I got into the TCU that i forgot to test the airbag and other modules.

360trev, it is certainly crude and glitchy, but it is a lot cheaper than an SD2 or going to the dealer which is 2 hours away. Once SAK comes out I'll probably ditch the foxwell. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

13. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Can you guys confirm if the Foxwell or the SAK tool can turn off the passenger airbag system?

14. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The safety systems are quite basic on the 360. You have ;

1. Seat belt pre-tensioners
    2. A fuel cut off inertia switch in the foot well which disables fuel pump on rollover
    3. An airbag ecu under the central tunnel
    4. Passenger dashboard airbag
    5. Drivers side steering wheel airbag
    6. Airbag wiring (yellow) connected to dashboard. If it doesn't get the correct self check signal/message it will illuminate the dashboard SRS fault light.

What exactly do you mean by turn off the airbag system?

If the airbags have been activated before it will write an indicator flag into the eeprom in the airbag ECU to log the fault. You can either backup the eeprom from an non activated airbag ecu and reflash it on a activated one or use the two eeprom dumps to determine the exact bytes changed. This allows the airbag ecu to be recycled and its quite commonly done on many cars.

Or if you are removing airbags altogether you can reflash the Siemens C167 microcontroller from the dashboard and delete airbag checking and light illumination from the firmware so the light never comes on but all this does is hide the light.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Trev- I think he means turn off the Airbag warning lamp once illuminated.

16. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Maybe he wants to disable the airbag from deploying for safety reasons if having a small child as a passenger

17. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Yup, spot on, Dom, that's exactly what I wanted to disable the airbag for.

The F430 has a key slot on the side of the dash to turn the passenger airbag on and off but the 360s don't have that so I'm wondering if one of these flash tools could turn off the passenger airbag when there's a small child in the front and then flashed again if an adult sits there.

18. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Ah OK, got it. I'll have to take a look at what was done on the F430 wrt the Key solution but on these older airbag systems you could use a resistor hack to simulate that an airbag (not verified on 360 so would need to check) is present even when its not. In theory a key could switch the circuit over to a resistor so that the airbag ecu is still happy but ofcourse then the airbag is no longer part of the system. Some more research is required but yes you could retrofit something identical to the F430.

19. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Sorry, that was directed towards One4Torque, I've never seen the 520 for $140...

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I was thinking about this for mine. if I could rig up a switch like the 430 that bypasses it to a resistor...

The OEM bypass is NLA and was admittedly complex in its wiring..

BWT thanks for the heads up on the 520! Buying one as it's cheap!

21. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    There are a few companies that make airbag on/off switches.

One is in Texas.

I have to look them up for the site addresses

Bob Brown from www.airbagonoff.com used to provide and install them

I do not know if he is still doing this

He did it for me. Switches go in glove box and there is a key for each so one can leave off permanently or activate

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Airbag on/off switches were optional in Europe and ROW for some Ferraris models. You can look in the parts catalogs and see if one was available for yours. I am pretty sure even the SD2/SD3 does not offer the capability to disable the passenger airbag.

23. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    apparently Bob Brown is no longer at it.

Here is one option - http://www.airbagsystems.com/switches.html

As to OEM switches as 360Trev refers, the parts books show them for the 360 but purchasing them in the US is another matter.

Probably unobtanium

timwu12 likes this.
  24. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Thanks, Greg!

The passenger airbag bypass OEM switch is definitely NLA

25. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I was sure of that.

There are a few vendors here and the switches are under $300 each.

No reason for the high cost.

Not much in them but a switch and resistive load