90 TR Twin Turbo build | Page 8 | FerrariChat

90 TR Twin Turbo build

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by timemachine, Jan 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    #176 timemachine, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    In the past I've had my share of Muncie M22 transmissions apart changing synchros, etc...But, at this point, I don't trust myself to go thru and reassemble this. Namely because I don't know a good rock from a bad rock. So I'm looking for a recommendation on someone that is familiar with these assemblies. Does anyone know of a reputable shop/individual that might be able to help me out here? Just don't want to take a chance with this...Appreciate any assistance in this matter.

3. akko

akko Karting
    BANNED

Jan 31, 2016
    Europe

Hi JM please empty your PM inbox , it´s full so it wont take any more messages, I can not reply to your last message :)

Thank you

4. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    After 2 years, we've finally engineered a clutch for the project. I wanted to guarantee we had enough clamping force to handle the increased torque. The clutch we've come up with is matched to a lightweight high performance starter. The starter is 5-6 lbs lighter than the factory one and spins the engine over faster than the stock one. The clutch and flywheel are 25 pounds lighter than stock. The clutch uses dual disks and is roughly 10 inches in diameter. It uses a diaphragm with 3 centrifugal levers that as speed increases supplies additional clamping. By using the levers it allows for less pedal effort to engage/disengage the clutch. Attached is the link that shows the mockup flywheel and starter in action on the first try.

JrBucksco, ChipG, JoeTSI and 2 others like this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you also have a video from the clutch or some photos?
    how is this working exactly?

in my competition I have also 2 discs, sintermetal ( right word?? ), and a stronger pressure plate, and never had problems

6. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney

Will make another video and add pics once I recieve it later this month.

JoeTSI likes this.
  7. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

John what type of friction material is used in this clutch? Being a twin disc, I'm guessing a metallic compound, but just curious if you went with something else?

8. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    nice work john!

9. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    The clutch manufacturer went with organic discs, b/c it should drive smoother and the clutch way exceeds the torque capacity (rated to 1100 ft lbs) of what I'm gonna put thru it.

10. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Thx James, hope you are well....Clutch shipped today hopefully will have next week. Also sent the gear housing to Fernando (helluva nice guy) at Competizione and they are magnafluxing the gears and rebuilding it back to factory specs (ie new roller bearings, etc).

11. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Thank you John; that sounds like it's going to be a great solution rather than the on/off characteristics of metallic lined, multi disc clutches.

12. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    So I sent the gear housing assembly out to Competizione to go thru it, we decided to magnaflux the gears and input shaft. The magnaflux showed no cracks , so that was good. Next we cleaned up the gear housing, replaced all the bearings and seals, and reassembled. They did an excellent job. One thing I noticed was the snap ring that is in the lower gear was deformed, as if the input shaft was too long and someone had just bolted it together, we will be paying close attention to how this all goes back together.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JoeTSI likes this.
  13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what is this red material on the bearings? special lubrication?

14. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Looks like Red Line assembly lube.

15. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    It's an engine assembly prelube, sometimes with these type of projects you don't know how long it will be before it's ran, so to protect the bearings from rust, it's used. Also when you first fire the engine up, it may take 30 secs before the oil gets to these bearings, so as a precaution that they don't run dry, it's applied. Once the oil does reach it, it quickly dissolves into it.

Rose Red and turbo-joe like this.
  16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Looks like Mobil synthetic grease!

17. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Mounted the flywheel up with the new pilot bearing. You can see the flywheel is aluminum with the steel insert for the friction to ride on. This one is 12 pounds lighter than the stock one, should help with engine acceleration.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe likes this.
  18. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #193 MOSS, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    I'm sure you know what you are doing but the aluminum flywheel will kill the already small amount of torque the engine makes and help
    send a rod through the block on an overrev. Some don't realize the cons. I have ran both. Torque is what plants you in your seat and burns
    the tires and hold all the inertia of the spinning engine. With the aluminum flywheel is will lose its rev a lot between gears. You may not like it. I ran a billet steel flywheel with my 750hp TT TR.

19. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Finally got the MSD crank trigger magnets mounted into the aluminum flywheel and a cam sync setup to replace the stock brake vacuum assist pump. Upon closer inspection of the original vacuum pump I found chards of metal in it...Yikes

Attached Files:

JoeTSI likes this.
  20. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hello John - it's great to see you are continuing to move forward with the twin-turbo TR project.

21. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
  22. Jay R

Jay R Karting
    BANNED

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    James R 12345
    How’s your current build coming along, Billy?

23. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    JoeTSI likes this.
  24. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    By "cam sync" do you mean camshaft position sensors? Looks like that shaft with splines will go into the rear end of the exhaust cam?