Advice for Puerto Rico | FerrariChat

Advice for Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Ryan13, Oct 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan13

Ryan13 Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Anyone ever go to Puerto Rico? If so do you have any reccomendations

2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  3. Ryan13

Ryan13 Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thank you! Any restaurants that you recommend?

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If you can, rent a car (or even take a tour bus) and go up into the hills to see the real Puerto Rico. Outside of Old San Juan, the rest of the city has become so cosmopolitan it's become like similarly-sized American cities.

A small village called Guavate, which is about 7 km off of the toll road near Cayey, features lechoneras that roast suckling pigs on spits and serve the pork with rice and beans or pigeon peas and sweet plantain. The last time I ate there it was one of the best lunches I'd had in years!

I like a restaurant called El Zipperle in Hato Rey, mainly because my family used to eat there when we lived nearby in the '60s! But the cuisine is German, which isn't exactly typical. A place in Condado called Ajili-Mojili gets a lot of press, but I wasn't particularly impressed.

5. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Marmalade in old SJ
    Verde Mesa in old SJ...great .romantic spot
    Oceano on the beach in Condado
    Casita Miramar in cool old house

Pannes in Condado incredible breakfasts I ate there every day. Great oatmeal

Uber is your friend

6. Ryan13

Ryan13 Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Awesome thank you, I am only planning one or two days in San Juan the rest of the time I plan to explore the Island. Thanks for the tip on the food I will definitely try that!

7. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Have fun. There are some old bars at the top of the hill near Mesa Verde, I think, that have great views over the harbor. Think Mojito !

Ryan13 likes this.
  8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In your time in San Juan, concentrate on the old city and Condado (for the beach). I can't think of any "touristy" places elsewhere in the city; perhaps the University of P.R. in Rio Piedras, but I don't recall if they have anything for visitors.

If you go during the winter, perhaps a P.R. winter league baseball game at Hiram Bithorn Stadium (part-time home a few years ago for the Montreal Expos!). MLB players used to come down and play in the winter league, but I suspect that doesn't happen much anymore. But you'll see why baseball is considered to be P.R.'s "second religion"!

9. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Your wife will enjoy the shopping in Old SJ. But be careful when walking around there- the streets, sidewalks, curbs, and gutters, can be very irregular on the surface and contribute to a tripping/falling/spraining hazard if one is not paying attention. My wife learned this lesson by being inattentive.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In addition, many of the streets are cobblestone, which can be treacherous to cross, especially if they are wet, and San Juan gets quite a lot of rain.

One other warning: bring a good mosquito repellent. P.R. mosquitoes don't carry diseases, but they bite a lot and you'll be itching like crazy if you don't take preemptive action.