458 - Getting Second Key - 458 process? | FerrariChat

458 Getting Second Key - 458 process?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scout123, Oct 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    I recently posted about getting my 2013 458 Spider from Scottsdale Ferrari. Car arrives here in Kansas City on Nov. 5. One item I negotiated was their providing a second key for the vehicle (it only had one). They agreed to do so at their cost. (BTW: I had a great experience at this dealership. In shopping around and working with 5 different Ferrari dealers, two were way below the performance that should have been provided.)

At any rate, this is the process I was informed of:

- Scottsdale dealer has to send copy of title to Italy to get them to ship back a key. This could take around 6 weeks.
    - Once key arrives at Scottsdale Ferrari, they will ship it to me.
    - I will need to take the car, and the extra key, to a Ferrari dealership to have it programmed. Scottsdale Ferrari agreed to reimburse me for this service. Of course, Scottsdale could do this, but the car would sit there for another 6+ weeks - I want it now as you can imagine.

Sound right to you? I think I read on an earlier thread that this is the process.

Now the "fun" part I guess. My closet dealership is in Chicago (7+ hour drive), second closet is Denver (9+ hour drive).

2. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    If you have the electrical and mechanical code card , with proof of ownership they order they key which gets shipped to the dealer already cut for your car.If you don't have the card they can get it for you but it costs another 100.00 or so. After that you take the car to a dealer and they program it although someone recently told me that if an independent has the Leonardo software you take the car to them and they can program it. I don't think Italy has anything to do with this . The key comes from Ferrari In the states.
    Mine took a week to complete .

3. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    Programming takes around an hour.

4. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Went through the same process noted by RWC58. My problem was not with Ferrari but with the selling dealer/owner not following through with several actions needed. That individual who owned 9 dealerships was plead guilty and was fined $3.5 M for numerous deceptive dealer practices & forced to sell them all.
    Look up Sage Auto Group.

5. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    I checked with my mechanic, he has not had any luck with his Leonardo and programming keys.

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    An independent shop can program a factory ferrari key as long as they have the correct diagnostic computer and the electronic code for the car. We have a Leonardo and program keys all the time. I programmed a 458 key with the alarm fob just the other day, no problem. You need to bring all of the keys that you want to have programmed, because they all need to be programmed at the same time.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports.

7. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I scanned some documents and sent them to the dealer. They told me when they needed the car to program the key.

8. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Brian, thanks. I sent your post to my guy Vince who has the Leonardo. He stated he has only tried it once in the past without success. We will give it another shot.

9. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Where the key gets programmed is completely at the discretion of the customer; there is no "law" that states it has to be done at a Ferrari dealer, however it is recommended. BUT, both car, key code card, AND key have to be together to be paired correctly - one can not work without the other.

Lastly, for an authorized Ferrari dealer to order a key, a copy of a valid driver's license and title or registration is REQUIRED.

10. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    FYI - from service tech at Scottsdale Ferrari:

So here is the scoop as simple as possible.

We need order a key and a key card for that specific vehicle. Would definitely need a key card to program a 2nd key to the car at a Ferrari dealer.

During your next service at a dealer then they would have all the info they need to program the key.

I / we here only have Ferrari Factory Diagnostic equipment for that. We don’t have any idea or knowledge if the Leonardo is able to do that. If they say it is possible then it may be but would be cautious as Ferrari is very finicky.

Hope that has answered your question.

Best regards,

Larry Isaacs
    Service Manager

11. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    My 06 F430 I traded in on this car, I got from you guys - great car! From everything I have gathered, the issue is whether the Leonardo will do the trick or whether you need Ferrari's system. Some have stated success with Leonardo on 458 key programming. My folks at Blackhorse Motorwerks have not had any luck the one time them tried it. When my extra key and key card arrive from Scottsdale Ferrari, I will let my guys try it. If that doesn't work, well we will take a road trip to Chicago and visit you at Continental.

12. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    I can't comment one way or the other if an independent shop, without the Ferrari supplied tools, can correctly program a key. It's not to say there isn't someone out there that can do it, but from my decades of factory authorized Ferrari experience, I've yet to hear of an independent shop that can. Again, I can't stress enough that there may be someone out there that has/can program a key, however I'm not aware of who they are.

Thank you for your business and if there's anything you need do not hesitate to contact us!

13. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    I think we would all agree that getting the second key is a must. If you have just the one key and it gets lost - you are pretty much screwed for quite a while.

14. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I am in need of a key myself. I ran across this which is close to the price of a key. Lonsdor K518ISE.

They have a YouTube video showing it in action.

I am tempted to buy it and one of the 40 dollar blanks on line and see if it works. If it does a problem solver for a lot of people and I would also be tempted to have it for loan to others.

15. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    #15 Motob, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Like I said before. The Leonardo has the capability of programming new keys for a 458. Anyone who has a Leonardo with the current updates can do it. I just did it a couple of days ago. It is not rocket science. You just need the electronic code for the car and all of the keys that you want to program for the car. The electronic code is specific to the car. When you purchase the car new it comes with a grey plastic credit sized card that has both the electronic code and the mechanical code on it. The selling dealership is supposed to record both of these codes during the PDI, and the code card should be with all of the manuals when you buy the car. The electronic code is not specific to the new ignition key, it is just required to access the key programming mode when programming new keys. If you don't have it, the original selling dealership should. If not, then you have to order a replacement card for your car.

During the programming process the Leonardo will prompt you to insert each key into the ignition, so it can identify the RFID pill, and then it will have you operate the alarm remote of each key. Any keys that were programmed before, but not programmed during the lastest process will be kicked out and no longer work. The Leonardo will tell you how many keys are programmed to the car, and which key was last used to start the car and which key was last used to operate the alarm system.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

16. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Thanks. I will have my guy give it a shot. He keeps his Leonardo up to date.

17. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Good luck, the keys are not cheap. The last one we bought from the dealership cost $900.

18. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Wow! $900 for a key. I have both keys that came with my car and both are a little chipped around the edge. I wanted to get a brand new key just have a new looking key, but at $900 I'll pass.

19. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Dealers can do much better than 900.00 and you may have a new key but you'll still have to get it programmed .LOL !!!

20. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    from your description, it appears that even though you have one key that is already working, when the new key arrives, this entire process involves reprogramming both of the keys. Correct?

21. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    That is correct. I have done that, after I bought my 458, since only one key was available.

22. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    My new key finally arrived from Italy for the 458 Spider I got from Ferrari Scottsdale back in October. Taking out next week to my independent mechanic. Fingers crossed the Leonardo will get it done. I will be bringing some of these posts with me - thanks for all the input. If it doesn't work, then road trip to Continental Ferrari or Dallas.

Also, the new key is so nice and pretty. Has anyone had PPF applied to their keys to keep them scratch free?

23. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Waiting on another key purchased 458 Spider only one key. Dealer taking care of second one. Said it would take a week to get key, the will ship my car.

would not close deal with only one key. Dealer has been great . They are north of chicago, o live in Baltimore. 1000$ to transport car

24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You do not need to program all keys at the same time. You need the code card and lots of proof of ownership and identity. And a lot of time. It costs a bunch. The new second key will eventually be ready at the dealership and any other key will continue to work.

25. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Update. After waiting out some weather, I was able to get my 458 to Black Horse Motorwerks to get the second new key programmed. Just took a few minutes to complete on his Leonardo D. I had posted earlier that my shop had tried it once before years ago, but didn't do it. In talking with them today about what happened back then, he said a screen does come up saying that hitting the next button to further proceed in this process will clear both keys' existing codes. Understandably, he had not done this before, so he was a bit spooked (and I don't blame him) because if something went side-ways in the process, the customer would have no keys that worked with the car and it have to be flat-bedded to a dealership. At any rate, I brought some of these posts to show folks have done it before, so he held his breath and proceeded. After that, simply followed directions. Done.

LVP488 likes this.