Rust under 1985 308QV | FerrariChat

Rust under 1985 308QV

Discussion in '308/328' started by Banzairacer, Oct 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Has anyone experienced rust under the bumper that causes it to split this way. during the PPI it was pointed out this may be rust at the indicator Assembly that spread through??
    Is there a remedy for this?
    Does the rubber bumper portion separate from the underlying bumper. I couldn’t find any diagrams indicating this.
    Would anyone recommend a rust encapsulated or remedy of that sort? Am in San Diego so not a lot of adverse weather and rust prone conditions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I would think that the nose may have been bumped at some point splitting the bumper cover and THEN rusted from moisture trapped and getting under the cover.
    No real way to repair that cover that I’m aware of short of just replacing the whole bumper. Good news is there’s plenty for sale! Congrats on your new QV;)

3. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Awesome. Thanks.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well it's old, but our bumpers are literally a solid iron bar, that was dropped in the mold to coat it in the rubber.
    So no, it won't come apart, except as it's doing!

I have seen one ONCE, split in a different place. And it was definitely the expanding of the rust flakes peeling the rubber, from pressure.

So take comfort in it's rarity, but rather than waste time with a patch I would toss it and get a new salvage one, as late a year (and obviously proper version) as possible. Possibly FerrParts they have broken several 308s in past year.

I recently nicked mine and was ill, as there's not much to do with the natural black rubber, except I suppose the SEMA bumper paint for plastic, might work.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's sometimes North American front "take offs" from projects, but a dismantler will also have it.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    EXACT same thing happened to my 84 back in 06. I bought a used on one eBay.

It was the first time I had anything shipped to me on a BUS. I had to go down tot he bus station and pick it up. Actually it wasn't a bad idea from a $$ standpoint.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Water gets in thru that turn signal base

Whenever I wash mine I get after it good with a leaf blower right in both of those spots. You would not believe the amount of water you will blow out of there.

8. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Thank you all. This is an incredible learning process for me. I have a guy here in SD who may be able to repair the rubber. Will keep you all posted. I also saw some of the Eastwood videos for the “rust conversion” Spray and a small snake nozzle. Will have a chat with Ju guy once we have it on the lift with the turn signals off. They usually use the nozzle for frame parts.

9. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    PS To the last message, at the end of the day - if the remedies I try will not work, replacement will be the option. If they work then we have a creative solution. Thanks for all the guidance.

NYC Fred likes this.
  10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My old one is still in my garage on a shelf.

I'm very interested in your repair experiment. Keep us posted.

11. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Will do. Am an experimentalist at heart. Some May Say just “mental.” LOL

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sanjeev, this is a good time to convert to the Euro bumper if you like.

13. noblesteed

noblesteed Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    Banzairacer and BLACK HORSE like this.
  14. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    I just got the MACarbon brackets for euro conversion and will remove the visible aluminum spacers from the rear. Having the muffler cover media blasted and powder coated to attend to some initial rusting. Thanks. Will try and post pics.

miketuason likes this.
  15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Did exactly the same to both my front and rear bumpers but now I’m in the process of converting it to the real fiberglass Euro bumper. If interested, let me know, I can get them made cheaper than most.

Banzairacer likes this.
  16. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Thanks Mike,

give me a shout 415-971-2327 would like to hear more about the bumpers in case we have to go that way.... am going to try a couple of things.... maybe even the "Rust-eze" (LOL) to see what can be creatively accommodated.

miketuason likes this.
  17. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    My rear rusted similarly and then split the rubber. Mine is not the only car I’ve seen like that either. It’s pretty common I think.

Regards
    David

18. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Thanks David. There have been several hypotheses around the why and wherefore. My bumper doesn’t look like it took any impact. Hence the split from within theory. As our cars age and experience different climates I’m suspecting this will become more apparent. Finding a resolution or solution would be helpful.
    Sanjeev