What is this inside my 360 transmission screen / filter (tiny bits of plastic?) | FerrariChat

What is this inside my 360 transmission screen / filter (tiny bits of plastic?)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Wayne 962, Oct 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Okay, so I had the dreaded 360 transmission heat exchanger / coolant mix problem happen to my car. What a mess! See thread here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/360-coolant-gearbox-issues-please-help-me-diagonose-this-issue.607568/

While taking out the transmission screen filter, I saw all of these small bits of blackish type plastic in there. They are not metal, they crumble when I pick them up. They are shiny (see photos), they feel like plastic. They are flaky, they are not hard - if you squeeze them with your finger, they snap/crush into smaller pieces quite easily. It reminds me of like charcoal flakes that you might have on tin foil after barbecuing. Almost like black paint flaking off of something.

Someone seemed to have the same issue here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/transmission-oil-water-heat-exchanger-autopsy.595055/ but there was never any real resolution on what it was, or whether it was from the failed exchanger?

-Wayne
    View attachment 2844539 Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    #2 Reid, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    chunks of clutch from the limited slip differential. Or so it seems, I rebuilt an F1 out of a Maserati there is not much plastic in there. Very high quality I would change the oil again after a few hundred miles (if there are no noises or any issues) and see if there is anything in the screen, if not and if everything is working fine then you could live with it or tear down and inspect. The diff will come apart without disassembly of the transmission, the clutches are in there you could replace the clutches and very carefully put every shim back in the right place.

Attached Files:

3. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    actually there is a plastic tube which is an oil guide, it guides the oil from a small pump to the screen and also to the bearings, I cant see that plastic getting damaged by coolant but the limited slip clutches could definitely be chewed up from lack of lubrication. Unless you have a big wallet or know someone who is very experienced with manual transmission assembly you could count your blessings if it is the limited slip clutch, if they are toast you simply dont have limited slip, the concern is the fragments circulating. As far as I know most dealers dont go inside those transmissions they just replace them.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Fill it, drive it. Or pull it and rebuild it. Your choice..I have seen plenty worse.

2NA likes this.
  5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I wouldn’t worry too much at this point. Every person that pulls their tranny filter gets freaked out at what they find, but it’s largely a nothingburger. I made a heat exchanger thread a while back you can search for and you can see some of the goodies That lurk in the system. Flush it, fill it and drive it.

Reid likes this.
  6. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Thanks everyone. I am indeed of the mindset to drive it, as long as doing so doesn't make the problem worse! The transmission heat exchanger problem, and the disintegrating CATs are two problems that I don't think that people want to drive with, as they seem to really make things go downhill fast. The transmission, even filled with ATF seems to run and shift fine, so it doesn't appear that there's been any damage anywhere (yet).

-Wayne

7. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    most likely it will survive just keep an ear out for noises and pay attention to how the limited slip acts in parking maneuvers if its ok it will likely last a long time if its not ok then it could get worse