Another data point in the 360 pre-cat failure column... | FerrariChat

Another data point in the 360 pre-cat failure column...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Wayne 962, Oct 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Hi all. On the advice of everyone here, I decided to pull my factory exhaust headers. If you don't know already, the pre-cats that are part of the assembly fall apart and fail. The headers also crack, allowing outside air to be sucked in as part of the (relatively high) overlap cycle of the valves. This means that outside air *and* pre-cat debris is being sucked into the engine (possibly), resulting in engine failure.

I took two photos of the pre-cats for everyone here to see what was lurking in my car (2000 360, 27,000 miles). Enjoy!

-Wayne
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Oh, I replaced them with the Fabspeed headers with the blankets, along with those minicats for the O2 sensors. I will report back on how all that works out (too soon to tell).

-Wayne

3. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Also, gratuituos / funny photo of two cars that are probably the most opposite of each other. YET, for the transmission aspect, they are the most similar (one has to preselect the gear on each (like at the traffic light)...

-Wayne
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    That should work out well for you. I hope you removed the post cats and dumped the debris out that came out of the pre-cats.

Buck_nekid likes this.
  5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Kinda have to remove those to get the manifolds out..just say'in..

6. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    That's a very good idea, and one that I probably should have done. But, I didn't see the deteriorated CATs until after I put the new headers in. I'll disconnect the muffler (the car is still open in the back), and then vacuum them out from the inside there.

-Wayne

7. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Hmm, I was able to get mine out without removing them, curiously enough. After getting all the nuts off (that took forever), they each came out in about 1 minute...

-Wayne