348 - ENGINE OUT, MAJOR - New Vernon Coach Repair | FerrariChat

348 ENGINE OUT, MAJOR - New Vernon Coach Repair

Discussion in '348/355' started by rvp325, Oct 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Had the MAJOR SERVICE (engine out) performed: 1993 Ferrari 348 TS Serie Speciale (#55/100).

Completed by NEW VERNON COACH REPAIR, located in New Vernon, New Jersey.

https://newvernoncoach.com/owner-steve-schade/

UNSOLICITED REVIEW:

As we all know, the "engine out" is routine for many...but practically dreaded by prospective and new Ferrari owners. Steve Schade, owner and master technician @ New Vernon Coach Repair, is the consummate professional. He's been doing major services (and all associated repair, etc) on Ferraris since 1986.

From my first phone-call inquiring about the details...to picking up my car on a Sunday (off hours, when closed, for my convenience), New Vernon Coach was top notch. One of Steve's highly seasoned techs, Marvin, spent nearly 45 minutes on the phone with me, providing details and nuances regarding the major service on my 348. The price as billed barely deviated from the original quote, and only because a few bits and pieces needed replacement (that which is beyond what's included the Ferrari/Ricambi major service kit).

Marvin/Steve welcomed me to the shop to see the service midway, take pictures for posterity sake, documentation, etc. In short, they were transparent. You can see from the pics, the work area is spotless, and many components of the engine/wheels etc, were covered/wrapped to ensure cleanliness.

As a new and relatively young Ferrari owner, Steve enlightened me on many facets of Ferrari repair. Subtle details such as measuring shims with a micrometer, demonstrating the use/function of specialized Ferrari tools.... He shared some stories of his days as a FCA Track inspector which I found fascinating.

Last but not least, New Vernon Coach is an immaculate shop, located in picturesque Morristown/New Vernon, NJ. Many other exotics are parked inside/outside the workspace. It's clear that Steve has cultivated relationships with many Ferrari enthusiasts over the years, as well as the proud owners of many other makes/models.

In a world where we can buy almost anything off Amazon...it's refreshing to know that independent business owners with decades of technical know-how and experience can still thrive.

93 Ferrari 348 SS #55/100
    64,000 mi

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

cardude442, audi_328, Ga68_ and 4 others like this.
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    rvp325 likes this.
  3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    rvp325 and Bertil like this.
  4. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    rvp325 likes this.
  5. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Seems to be what that is...looks exactly like the schematic B/W diagram. in any case, thank god I have one!

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    steved033, Pangea and rvp325 like this.
  7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    It is a cool air duct. The alternator's internal fan draws air from the openings around the pulley and pushes it over the windings. The duct is supposed to take cool air from under the car through its rectangular opening facing down. However, the effectiveness of the duct is questionable as it also has a large side cut-out for the belt.

9. mojocoggo

mojocoggo Rookie

Jul 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Dylan Leff
    What was the cost of the service all said and done?

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I just fabbed a really large heat shield that mounted the existing mount bolts to keep engine and header hear away from it including the wiring behind the alternator to keep the alternator cooler, and oil drip free.

steved033 likes this.
  11. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Sent you a PM

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow did not even know those guys. Everything looking good Rahul?
    Sent PM.

13. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    They serviced my Aston, 996, Cayman and of late my 1995 F-355 Spyder. Always fair and compared to all other shops I sued for almost 20 years always lower cost. Very reasonable.
    My car is due for a major next year and most likely they will get my business again.

rvp325 likes this.
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Rates are solid and fair, that's for sure. I may try there next service as well. I'l to bring the cam seal weep hole jig myself.

rvp325 likes this.
  15. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    you won’t be disappointed. Say Rahul referred you. Steve, the owner, is a straight shooter.