400i Article in New Issue of Forza (12/19) | FerrariChat

400i Article in New Issue of Forza (12/19)

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Jasonberkeley, Oct 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

There's a nice article on a mildly modified 400i in the new issue of Forza that came in the mail a couple of days ago.

Nice to see our cars given some pages in there.

erwin123 and Schumi like this.
  2. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
  3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I doubt the claimed 400hp is realistic, and to be frank I am not so found of the start button, Renault mirror switch and porsche mirors. These would be easy to revert back. The other modifications I would definitively keep!

4. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    I agree that start button is a bit boy racer - I don't think the interior was done well. The upholstery job looks a bit sh*t and the wood trim is bizarre. I LOVE the alcantara dash though, was contemplating that for mine as well.. but that isn't likely to ever happen unless my dash comes apart (which it could.. at any moment.. haha!)

5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The upholstery is always an issue as most modern leathers are "pressed" (not tanned like in the good old Connolly days), so the result is always a bit more grainy than the original (stiff) leather. My instrument pinnacle was recently refurbished and although that's a really nice job I wish I could have had access to an old stock of leather.

Here, the owner assumes his desire to give the car a "modern" touch. So modern leather makes sense. The colour combo is nice and the no-nonsense motor upgrade is a great plus. Fortunately the controversial mods are all easy to undo. So let's be fair to the great job that was done on this car: I like it.

PS: Nubuck would look much better than alcantara.

james.colangelo likes this.
  6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    He also didn’t buy a 365 GT4 2+2 with an automatic.

7. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I am unsure whether the owner is an F-chat contributor? I do not recall having seen this car before Erwin's blog featured it earlier this week... I can commend the owner for having the bravery to modify his car to his own taste, irrespective of anyone else's perspective - I did the same thing with 46567 years ago.

As to my observations, the color reminds me of 1990's Ford Festiva's, Mustangs, Golfs, Lancers, etc. and methinks looks better on those cars than on a older, classic Ferrari! But, that's why there are so many flavors in ice cream and colors in the rainbow...

Lower profile tires on older cars can be a little dicey, but because the wheels are soooo big, he did not have a choice... As to the interior, again - its always a matter of preference - but the wooden steering wheel with wood grain-looking console accentuated by the aluminum pedals is indeed personalized and unusual. My hats off to his boldness!

8. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    IMO too many of his observations on Ferrari quality are self-serving rubbish.

james.colangelo likes this.
  9. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Donald Osborne had a nice little article about his time with a 400i in the latest issue of Sports Car Market. It was a very positive piece and echoed what we owners know about these fabulous machines.

10. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    If you are a long time Forza reader, see April 2012 issue for article about me and my car.

One note in article; when did the Imperial gallon get smaller than the US one!

I have replaced some of my leather, mainly the dash top and I found a BMW leather called "Onyx" that matches very well with the original black. My upholstery shop got several swatches of exact hide and we found a very good match, not grainy.
    Ken

raemin likes this.
  11. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Is your article available online? Would love to read it.

12. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    James
    Here is cover page, article and a Ferrari 2+@ buyers guide that was all in same issue. Oops, my PDF file is too large to post so I have just put an image of the article, hope i is ledgable.
    Ken
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso and james.colangelo like this.
  13. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Here are pics of my replaced dash. The actual BMW reference is BMW ELI52 (not sure if that is an I or a 1). Cost for a whole hide was about $350 in 2009.

In the pics the two horizontal pieces rear of the windshield were replaced. The two tops of the instrument clusters / AC vents were NOT replaced. Texture and color are very close; the older leather seems to have a little bit of a 'shine' to it. I replaced one seat bolster and the difference is more obvious but acceptable to me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    That green car is fantastic! Love the Porsche mirrors, looks so much more modern. Don’t care for the color or starter button.

15. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    #15 Il Tifoso, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Since we’re talking about our cars featured in Forza magazine, here’s a few pic of the article where my 412 was featured (with its original owner) back in issue 29 on May 2001. This was way before I purchased it, so it’s really great to have this historical documentation of it. :)

Note, the “mileage” listed in the article is actually kilometers as my conversion to US / California regulations was a simple ‘slap a sticker onto the speedo’ job (notice the color difference between the speedo and the other gauges o_O).

Ruben

Attached Files:

Jasonberkeley and raemin like this.
  16. erwin123

erwin123 Karting

Jan 20, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Erwin
    Il Tifoso likes this.
  17. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Erwin
    How do I post my Forza article on your google site. The PDF is 8+Meg and could not be posted on this page. PN and email or access to site.
    Ken