1980 400 i Speedometer noise | FerrariChat

1980 400 i Speedometer noise

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by David Roberts, Oct 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Roberts

David Roberts Rookie

Jun 5, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David Roberts
    Hi All,
    Has anyone had noise in the speedo / drive cable which seems speed related.
    This starts down low particularly when cold and disappears at around 100 KPH
    I will try disconnecting the speedo and running to identify as to cable or speedo unit?
    Cheers
    David

2. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Hello, David.....you are on the right track. in the OLD days, most vehicles had either a cable drive speedo or tach. Definitely disconnect each end one at a time and see if the noise goes away. The specialty shops that did a lot of this work used an adapter that screwed on the cable ends which ended in a grease fitting, they used it to force a thin white grease that was much like petroleum jelly. It can be done by hand, but slower....force in as much grease as possible by hand and spin the cable SLOWLY with a battery drill in the direction so the spiral windings pull the grease in....add more grease and continue. Be sure and lube the cable until the grease reaches the other end...it will take some time.

Here is what I use....for the last 40 years..

Gary

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Schumi likes this.
  3. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If the cable contacts any body panel along it’s path it can increase vibrations. Also if the cable housing was ever squashed, kinked, or bent during a repair. We had a rear engine seal replaced and during the lifting of the engine they’d both crushed and kinked a speedo cable which made it vibrate as it spun in the housing, then the housing was contacting the tunnel and the vibration was transmitted throughout the firewall and the dash.

4. David Roberts

David Roberts Rookie

Jun 5, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David Roberts
    Thanks everyone! I removed the speedo then withdrew its inner using needle nose pliers. Greased this liberally with Neo grease then reassembled making sure the outer cable had smooth radius on all bends. Easy fix!

Il Tifoso and Ak Jim like this.
  5. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    There you go, David......glad the fix worked for you.

With hundreds of years of experience through all the "do it your self" guys here,
    just ask or use the search function, there are many minor/major repairs you can do !

Gary

Il Tifoso likes this.