What is the original color of brake calipers? | FerrariChat

What is the original color of brake calipers?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rovexienus, Oct 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    I have been asked last week end what would be the original color of the brake calipers on our cars. I have always seen them kind of dark grey color but that could be the result of years of deposits such as brake dust, road dirt etc...
    Any ideas?

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jean-Michel,

I cannot speak towards the other models, but on my 365 GT4 2+2 the calipers look to have been yellow-cad. At first I thought like you, that they were dull grey, etc... But as I cleaned and disassembled the calipers I found yellow-cad. Secondly I found some restored pics of a C4 and it also shows a yellow-cad colored calipers:

https://www.fusionmotorco.com/vehicles/178/1972-ferrari-365-gtc-4

Given what I found I will be replating mine yellow-chromate, as there are no platers in anywhere close to my geographic area that does yellow-cad anymore.

Cheers,

Sam

3. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Thanks Sam!

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jean-Michel,

You are most welcome! Please post before and after pics! Sadly, my work on my car has stalled for the past several months do to work duties and so no real time to post pics on my side. Given that our Winter season has started I had to cleanup, inventory, and put away all the pieces and until sometime in the New Year... alas...

That being said if you need any pics of my caliper or suspension pieces, etc let me know and I can post up whatever you need.

Cheers,

Sam

5. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    I do know of a good company in Germany who still does cad plating. Had lots of parts done for my 250 Gte. It is MVG Lampertheim. Will look at my 400 brake calipers for plating. Original car with 40.000km. Will come back with my guess at what plating.

BR
    Christopher

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    They're yellow zinc not cad to my knowledge.