Getting a windshield replaced without spending $5k+ | FerrariChat

Getting a windshield replaced without spending $5k+

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by darkostoj, Oct 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    Hey guys, I have a 2010 Ferrari 458 and need to get the windshield replaced. Was having problems with insurance due to the cost and was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

The cheapest I found was a retailer selling an aftermarket windshield shipped to me for $2,600, and an OEM style from the same manufacturer without the Ferrari logo for $3,250. I then also have the hassle of hiring a glass guy to install, and if he breaks it I'm sure I'm out the $$$.

The dealer wants $4400 + install.

What do you guys think?

2. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    I think you should get a better insurance company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddyg, Cigarzman, RayJohns and 2 others like this.
  3. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    Yeah! Took care of that already.

4. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    #4 obbob, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part-finder/ferrari/458/oe/22/2543/48698

OEM $2200 + shipping.

They are hit or miss with shipping lead times.

Also another reason why to not go to dealers for these kinds of things. The dealer is seeing $2300 MSRP (which already has a nice profit baked in that) in his system but is trying to mark it up to $4400 for just the part. Then they'll charge an absurd labor fee.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    I’m not sure if you belong to any Ferrari club but the dealer that we deal with on Long Island if you belong to the Ferrari Club you get a 20% discount off the parts

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

As per my humble experience avoid the dealer at all cost.

7. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    What was the issue with the dealer?

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Not speaking about this dealer specifically ; I mean from a cost saving perspective, mark up etc

9. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Reinstalling the rear view on to that new glass mirror is usually handled by a glass installer not the dealer. Sometimes problematic. Do not attempt to use the rear mirror glue as it will not last long. Many Ferrari Dealers sublet glass installation to glass installer of their choice. Check before you leap.

10. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    None of our dealers do glass work in house, we always work with an outside installer. The same goes for wheel repairs.

So when your dealer gives you a price, they're just outsourcing the actual work. Find out who the installer is and many service reps are open to sharing that information.

Natkingcolebasket69 and BOKE like this.
  11. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm in the middle of going through this with my 430 Spider. One word of caution - I was able to get Liberty Mutual to pay for aftermarket glass replacement, similarly priced as your aftermarket glass quote. Since LM approved facilities could not buy the windshield from any of their approved sources, I had to pay up front and then will submit invoices for reimbursement. On the day of installation, the techs at Safelite noticed the aftermarket glass did not have the embedded windshield antenna, so the install had to be cancelled.

On the plus side, the glass supplier, T. Rutlands quickly stepped in to handle the substitution for the OEM glass with no restocking fees or add'l out of pocket expense on my end. Now if I can just find a desk jockey at Liberty Mutual that can understand why aftermarket glass is not an option, I'll be set.

Also kudos to the techs at Safelite - I'm embarrassed to say, I never noticed the antenna wire in the windshield after 4 years of owning & hand washing the car (maybe I need new glasses), but as you would hope, they picked up on it immediately, brought me into the shop and showed me the replacement glass and were not put out at having to postpone the job. Also, their labor cost for the replacement will only be $175 - not the reason I picked a Safelite shop, but decided to go with them because windshield replacement is their sole focus and the local shop I'm working with had very positive reviews.