355 oil pan gasket | FerrariChat

355 oil pan gasket

Discussion in '348/355' started by spaghetti_jet, Apr 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've searched guys, I really have & can't find anything on this:

Can anybody here tell me if there is an oil pan/dry sump gasket for the 355 engine. I'm talking about the main cover on the bottom of the engine. I'd like the Ferrari part number.

I've searched the forum and I've searched the parts fiches one by one but there does not appear to be anything, nor in the WSM. Local Ferrari dealer (no names) just shrugged his shoulders!!

Looking at mine from the outside it looks like it's been sealed with silicon gasket.

Anybody know a part number or do I seal with instant gasket?

Thanks guys,

Bob.

PS. I haven't torn it down yet, but would like to order parts in before-hand.

2. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Machined flanges using sealant only, no gasket.

3. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks a lot, much appreciated. Out of interest, in your experience have you seen many of these leaking? It's not entirely clear where my leak is coming from, oil everywhere, so I'm pretty much doing everything, front cover, crank seals, the works.

Bob.

PS. am in the process of ordering your gold kit. Just getting some info on customs clearance at my end.

4. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Time to wake up an old thread Bob...what did you END up doing to solve you oil leaks back then???

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    From the factory the oil pan never leaks. It's oil coming from above, or the front main seal, or the cam drive sprocket seals, or rear main seal that leaks.

6. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I ended up changing practically every rubber seal on my engine, but actually, the worst leak was coming from the rubber seal (indicated with red arrow) that was pinched & un-seated in the three-way intersection between the block, lower crank case and the end cover.

I changed it, but it actually took me two goes to install that pesky seal without damaging it while torquing up the end plate. This seal is tricky to install without unseating/damaging it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Correct, the most appropriate way is to remove the gear box, remove the RMS plate, and then replace that seal. The cheating way is to remove the oil pan and goop it up with silicone hoping that would be enough.

8. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob

Right.

my motor is now a “goop free zone” and not a drop of oil anywhere.

The only place I put a thin, almost transparent smear of high temp silicone is on the sump pan (I am paranoid about a chunk of sealant dropping into the pan, so I’m always extremely sparing).

9. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Thanks a lot for your response

10. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    These pans can sometimes develop leaks that are very hard to find without removing them and magna flexing them. The aluminum is very porous and can develop leaks especially in the corner near the alternator mounting bracket.

11. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Better "gasket makers" than silicone are Loctite 518 or Permatex 51813 (also available as GM p/n 90297970). These are anaerobic sealants (cure only when you tighten the parts together) so you do not have to rush the application on the surfaces. Another big advantage is that the squeezed-out sealant will not cure so it will not form any lumps inside the engine.

Qavion likes this.
  12. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Grazie mille...
    Anyone have the tourque spec also for it? Is there a general setup with tourque spec for the engine & gearbox?