Route Suggestions Albuquerque to Scottsdale | FerrariChat

Route Suggestions Albuquerque to Scottsdale

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Nospinzone, Oct 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi, I’m looking for some route recommendations through NM and AZ. I am driving from MA to the FCA annual experience in Scottsdale. I’m going to have to be on the interstates at least until Albuquerque. From that point I was contemplating taking some secondary roads. However, I don’t know what these roads are like for condition, road construction, traffic, scenery, etc.

Looking at Google maps here are a couple routes I was considering when leaving Albuquerque.

I 25 to Rte 60 all the way to Scottsdale

I 25 to Rte 60 to Show Low, then Rte 260 to Rte 87 to Scottsdale

I 40 to Rte 117 to Rte 60 and from there take either 60 or the 260/87 route

I 40 to Winslow and Rte 87 to Scottsdale

And finally if Rte 60 is not that good of a road, I 40 to Holbrook and Rte 377 to 260/87

Any feedback, information or alternate route suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

2. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Please share photos of your journey. Whatcha driving there?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My wife and I will be driving our 2008 612 Scaglietti OTO.

After the FCA meet, we will participate in the Dino Rally (other cars are invited) for 3 days, and then continue on to Santa Fe. I expect we will put about 8000 miles on the odometer. We've been to Florida twice and several times to eastern Canada, but this will be the longest trip.

Robb and dahveedem like this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Paul...wife and I did 60 to Soccoro through Datil and Pie Town, via Show Low and Globe. Started in Phoenix. Once in Soccoro we took US 380 to Dallas. I highly recommend 69. Great scenery. Just keep an eye out for winter weather. Safe travels...T

Nospinzone likes this.
  5. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Paul, Both BryanP and I live in Santa Fe. Touch base when you get here. If it is on a Tuesday, the Denise McCluggage Tuesday Car Table for gear heads still get together for lunch at the Santa Fe Bar and Grill at 11:30.

Best regards,

Robert

Nospinzone likes this.
  6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Aaaah, I'll miss that. We leave Sedona on Weds. the 13th and probably get into Santa Fe mid-afternoon. Right now the plan is to stay Thursday and leave on Friday to head home.

7. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Most of the roads out west are good roads, they don't have to deal with frost heaves. Rt 60 is a fun road, BUT mind the speed limit when going thru the Fort Apache Reservation. I never got stopped but I have talked with others who have and they don't take kindly to speeders.

Nospinzone likes this.
  8. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    My 2 cents

South on I25 to Hwy 152
    Hwy 152 to Silver City (twist and turns and scenic)
    Silver City to Alpine via US 180 (scenic)
    Alpine to Safford via US 191 (twist and turns and scenic)
    Safford to Globe via Hwy 70
    Globe to Superior via Hwy 77 and Hwy 177 (twist and turns and scenic)
    Then US 60 into the Phoenix area.

Or Alt route

South on I25 to Hwy 152
    Hwy 152 to Silver City (twist and turns and scenic)
    Silver City to Eagar via US 180 (scenic)
    Then US 60 into the Phoenix area. (twist and turns and scenic)

Nospinzone likes this.
  9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Nospinzone likes this.
  10. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Noticed Hwy 12 in New Mexico on these routes. Only portion of 12 I have been on was from US 180 to Reserve, to where I picked up Hwy 435. Is the section of Hwy 12 from Reserve NM to Hwy 60 worth the trip?

11. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
  12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Perfect, thanks!

I think either option 1 or possibly option 2.

13. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Www.Motorcycleroads.com is a great resource for finding good roads all over the USA
    I have used it for years for motorcycle touring. Ferrari’s and bikes wore well on the same roads.

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks guys, I never knew of either of those sites.

I agree with the Ferraris and bikes, but ever since I got my 612, the Harley Deuce has taken a back seat.

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I would detour north to Colorado and then go West to Utah visiting all the Natioal Parks in those states on the way. But it is snowing right now so...nevermind.

16. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    This gave a good chuckle to start the day.

:D
    BT

Drewbdo and arizonaitalian like this.
  17. 35550

35550 Rookie

Dec 10, 2007
    40/117/36/60/191/70/60

perfect for any F car!

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    60 off of I-25 is a beautiful drive, but at fairly high elevation, so make sure and check the weather so you do not hit snow. You will go right by the Very Large Array. Great Ferrari road as long as you do not have trouble. Very lonesome out there.

Careful coming across I-40 east of Albuquerque, too, since you will hit 8000' elevation a couple of times. If the weather is bad, pick a more southerly route.

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree, but that's for another trip Phil, not this time.

20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hey! Get your mind out of the gutter!

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's a good variation from a similar route I had in mind.

22. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Freudian slip!
    T

23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Taz, you bring up one point I was wondering about, and another point I hadn't considered.

I was wondering about gas stops. Living in the Northeast there's a gas station every 2 miles. On some of those secondary roads out there I was wondering how far apart gas stations were spaced. I normally don't fill until about a quarter of a tank, but I'll be a little more conservative.

The other point I didn't think about was the altitudes (looking on Google maps that doesn't show up) and the potential for snow. I can always dip further south if need be.

24. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #24 arizonaitalian, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    some of those routes I listed go right near ski resorts in AZ. One of the roads closes for winter at some point...

I had a pack of wild wolves cross right in front of me on the same road last year...was amazing to watch them hunt an elk for 15 minutes while in sight of the road after we pulled over.

Its amazing up there (speaking of 273 and 261 and also 260 near Eager where we saw the wolf pack).

Going up the hill on 261 from Eager is as fun as it looks on the map and scenic. Often empty, save for packs of Elk scattered about...

If 273 is closed at the usual spot and if the ski resort isn't open on the day you are there, its one wide open deserted top speed test track (or so I've heard).

That whole "loop" around Greer is pretty great. Its closed in the middle starting soon I bet though, but its still fun to drive up either side and turn around and head back. Greer itself is one interesting little place that seems lifted out of Colorado rather than AZ.

The salt river canyon section of 60 is pretty cool. As is stopping in for lunch and a tour at Fort Apache.

Nospinzone likes this.
  25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Paul- There are enough gas stations so you do not have to worry too much. You just have to plan your stops and be conservative.

First time I have posted in this section. The Albuquerque name got me interested. Normally do not even look.

Nospinzone likes this.