458 Speciale Aperta Value Trends | FerrariChat

458 Speciale Aperta Value Trends

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DXB599, Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I'm considering a Speciale Aperta to complement my 599 HGTE, however, have noticed asking prices have come down quite a bit within the past few months with several low mileage cars now under $600K. Any thoughts on longer term value? I'm not buying for appreciation, but also don't want to jump in too soon if values still have a way to fall. Any guess on values over next 12 months and longer term?

2. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    I really think it's just the guys trading them in when they get their pista spyder so there's more supply...I've been patiently waiting for this...when they drop a bit more I'm going to buy one

3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

If you are only concerned with value and price. Wait 6 months.

U-Boat Commander and gzachary like this.
  4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Agree with this...crystal ball says wait about a year as market may continue to soften...

Btw, how do you like your 599 HGTE? I really want one!
    I really want a GTO but same thing...watching the market value fall. But I really like to drive my cars so the HGTE may be a better choice.

Sent from my 16M

5. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

HGTE is great and really enjoy the 12 cylinder of 599. The factory HGTE equipped cars are quite rare and seem well priced at the moment. Of course 599 GTO like the Speciale is another level compared to the base model.

These cars are always discretionary purchases, but no one wants to jump in and then 6 months later the car has dropped $100K which is what seems to have taken place with Speciale Aperta recently. Just not sure if trend will continue and where is the bottom. Now that they are in the high $500's for nice examples, it's getting tempting.

Here's my 2010 599 HGTE

Image Unavailable, Please Login

IloveGT, Modena_2003 and plastique999 like this.
  6. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    The market doesn’t have a lot of them so if there’s one with the spec you want, I would say jump in sooner. If there isn’t, 6 months wouldn’t hurt as I don’t see the prices gonna go up.

However, I do have a sense that Aperta owners are closer to TDF owners than Speciale owners. They shouldn’t have much problem to let them sit cuz it’s last NA status.

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I do that all the time in the stock market unfortunately...:D

Reiziger likes this.
  8. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

3 cars I'm watching each dropped $30K in the past 3-months and now getting into the mid $500's. Hard to say where the bottom is, but I think low $500's could be the time to jump in, There are presently 19 for sale on auto trader alone which is probably more than 10% of the SA's in the US.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Why a Speciale Aperta? obviously it's relatively rare, which is the reason for a higher price - but for driving I'm convinced a Speciale is better (the fact that it's less expensive is just a free bonus).

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    are the 3 your watching coupes or apertas?

11. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    I have noticed the same trend. Pista coupes and Apertas appears to be contributing to the downward trend even though not NA engine. The Speciale coupes have suffered a larger decline

12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I love the Speciale but in looking at it now compared to the Pista, it appears a bit dated. Compare that to the TDF- that car looks timeless. Maybe speciale prices drop further cause I’d love to add on to the garage

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Have to agree.

leopoldo and SoCal to az like this.
  14. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    When you hear of one trading in the high $400s you'll know the bottom is in.

15. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I personally believe they're near the bottom of the market right now

16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    assuming no recession maybe - although i think any cars post 2012 are in the HP arms race and therefore will have soft markets without excess demand - basically anything around or over 600 HP is plagued by oversupply of new models from ferrari and other manufactures. anything around 500 hp and below thats older i can see being more liquid.

17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Both the Speciale and Speciale Aperta are still recent cars, and they've been blessed by the timing of a speculative bubble (2015-2016) that more or less matched their release time.
    But they are still priced a lot more than the Scuderia and Spider 16M, and while I believe they will always be worth more than those, I'm not sure the current difference is sustainable.

LARRYH likes this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I believe the Aperta and the 16M (both numbered at 499) will reach parity (by that I mean within 5-10% variance of each other depending on build spec, condition, miles)...not sure about the coupe versions.

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    If true that means a huge variation compared to the current market were an Aperta is typically advertised for more than twice the price of a 16M (while the difference between a Scuderia and a Speciale is lower).

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I know...I suspect it will take years. However, I suspect the SA will soften somewhat, but more importantly the incredible 16M will come to be more appreciated as the years go by and the car-guy World comes to appreciate more the raw craziness of cars from that era...and the 16M being the pinnacle of that.

I think there are only so may guys willing to pay significantly north of $500K for toy cars, and that space is getting more crowded. Thus the SA will decrease yet the 16M has room to move up.

All IMO, and not expert opinion either. :)

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think it's been a power war since the beginning of time and will not ever stop. More and more new cars come out with more and more performance and capture the mindset of the market place. The pace only increases. This is just how it goes. Values will follow suit. However, if you want a demarkation point, make it the move from F1 single clutch to F1-DCT. If you look at values of any model you will see a bigger break between when they went to DCT.

22. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Interesting that you don't apply the same logic to Scuderia that you apply to 16M. A bit of endowment affect in play here maybe that you think that your 16M will appreciate to SA levels (which will soften a bit) but a Scuderia will not to the levels of your Speciale :)

italiafan likes this.
  23. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Yes, comment pertained to Speciale Aperta.

24. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I already own a 2010 599 HGTE, so looking to add something for top down driving.

25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    No doubt there is some truth in that, I cannot escape the psychology of loving what I love and expecting others to someday see the wisdom in my choices. :D
    But honestly, I was thinking it had more to do with both cars being numbered cars at 499, and thus perhaps someday on more equal footing; the rawness of the 16M and its SF2 gearbox being equal but different to the brilliant DCT in Speciale SA and its gorgeous, dare I say, almost perfect 458 shape.