Anyone run nitrogen in there tires | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone run nitrogen in there tires

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ttforcefed, Oct 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I grew up in Brooklyn, please tell me more!
    T

Nospinzone, BOKE and EastMemphis like this.
  2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Hydrogen is even lighter and faster. Really.

energy88 and BOKE like this.
  3. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Unless you can somehow find a way to completely evacuate the air out of a newly mounted tire before filling, there will always be some of that dastardly air left in there. So it will never, ever be 100% nitrogen. And given that the aforementioned dastardly air is already 78% nitrogen to begin with, it’s only a game of fooling yourself as to how pure it might be.

For street cars, I would say nonsense. Waste of time. Just responsibly monitor your tire pressures and all is well.

For track cars, we’ll arent you monitoring and adjusting tire pressures as you go throughout the day? You ought to be.

So from my perspective, nitrogen fill = snake oil.

4. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    That dreaded 14.696 psi, one atmosphere of toxic air before you seat the bead. The horror, the horror!!!

5. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Kind of like in the Lotus forums where the carbon fiber shift knob is going to save you 2/10th a lap because it’s lighter, but the massively heavier solid steel shift ball will help you shift faster because you can throw the weight around and save 2/10ths a lap.

Honestly, I only wish I were at a level where these minuscule changes would make a difference for me. I love my track days. But I’m a long ways off coming into the pits and telling my (non existent) crew that “the fronts are getting too slippy, especially the front right after the second or third lap. Maybe down a 1/2 psi?

6. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky

tomc likes this.
  7. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I feel like an idiot now

8. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I have some turbine aircraft engines that are in canisters, the oxygen is sucked out then filled with nitrogen. I guess I'm in a really bad situation to find out now..

Edit: for this post, I'm told it's a preservation thing

9. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Entirely different situation. The containers are purged of all air (most importantly, the Oxygen) for dry storage and to prevent oxidation. The same basic process is used from optics to heavy industry. Nitrogen is used to displace any other gas, liquid, or vapor from what you want to clear of contaminants and store in an environment of inert Nitrogen gas.

willrace likes this.
  10. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    yes, it is, but I can see it for preservation for a trailer queen

11. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    So you want to put a car in an airtight container or envelope and pull a vacuum than store it in Nitrogen????:rolleyes: How about liquid Nitrogen.:D:D:D
    If you remove all the breathable air from your garage and replace it with Nitrogen it will reduce the risk of fire and UFO invasions.
    Climate control and a dehumidifier will get take care of business in most cases. As always, YMMV.

12. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I meant in the tires :)

thnx

13. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I was just giving you a bad time.:D

I have owned a lot of cars aand bikes that sat and I haven't found too many things that will make the tires last any longer other than not letting the car sit so the tires flat spot. I posted a link to tire savers above that have helped out on hot rods that have bias ply tires that are more prone to flat spotting. All the theories on overinflating tires on stored cars carry about as much empirical proof as using Nitrogen or letting them go flat like most stored race cars on slicks.

I am tire paranoid and toss tires long before they wear out. A set of sticky tires only lasts a few years maximum in Las Vegas no matter what you do. Way cheaper to replace tires than a corner of my car's bodywork. As always, YMMV.

ChipG likes this.
  14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    you will blow by the competition.

15. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wheelers Dealers did an episode where they tested whether nitrogen providers were actually putting pure nitrogen in your tires. They had tires filled at multiple locations, checked the PSI, put the tires in an oven, heated them up, then tested the PSI again. Every single tire experienced a noticeable increase in pressure. In other words, they weren’t using pure nitrogen.

Fifth Gear also did a similar episode and came to the same conclusion:

16. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I hear it turns the valve caps green:po_O:D

BOKE and EastMemphis like this.
  17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nitrogen or any gas will expand upon heating. Would need to be extremely sensitive to distinguish air from N2, I would think.

I'd buy the nitrogen hope more if I was convinced it was scrupulously dry and pure, and they did a couple of fill/purge cycles.

T

thorn likes this.
  18. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Yeah, consider the source - Southampton Audi. The jamokes around there patronize oxygen bars. I can see a future ad... "get the summer nitrogen out of your tires and replace it with fresh Winter nitrogen, only $50 per tire.

19. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    They said in the show that nitrogen shouldn’t expand much at all when heated and that’s how you would know whether you were getting ripped off. In both cases, the pressure increased significantly. I’m no expert here though.

tomc likes this.
  20. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  21. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I was taught PV=nRT and P1 V1/ T1 = P2 V2 / T2 in high school. I would be embarrassed to have little green caps on my tires.

JimEakin, tomc, BOKE and 2 others like this.
  22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    We used Nitrogen bottles to fill aircraft tires.
    Advantages were the portability of these bottles and the high pressures needed to fill the tires.

Just bought an Infinity last summer and the vehicle came with a "value added" package including tire nitrogen.
    After intense negotiation we arrived at a mutual number.
    Then I told them to subtract the package amount or the deal was off.
    They subtracted the amount.

BOKE likes this.
  23. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    in reality - what does it matter? tomato - tom-Ato... at the end of the day its preference. Some can use the scientific basis of justification and some use just a gut feeling, no one is really wrong or right for that matter. Are there some befits that some like - sure, are there incontrovertible scientific reasons - maybe not....
    I've seen in my practice in desert and arctic driving situations that there is less of a need for environmental adjustment of tire pressures.
    does it make the ride a bit stiffer- perception is maybe?? - but no one was put a seizmometer (seismograph) in their car to test the vibrational patterns over a controlled road pattern - have they? did I miss that? LOL..... just my $0.0002.

24. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    OK so here is something that may be an interesting read.......

Attached Files:

25. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Banzairacer likes this.