The Best Ferrari Collection | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Best Ferrari Collection

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FerrariFR33458, Oct 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    There is no "best" Ferrari collection. Its all subjective. Some couldn't care less about the newer cars. Some would give extra points to the early cars. To me, the best Ferrari collections are the ones which take them to track events. Static Ferrari displays are, to me, boring. Bamford, Bardinon, Wang, Dusek, and many others, know/knew what they had and enjoyed them in their element and for all to see, but not in their garage. This shot was taken circa 1985/6 Bridgehampton. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I agree, "the best" collections are those that appeal to certain people. Track events are interesting, but I actually think the opposite. While it's exciting to see and hear Ferraris on the track - vroom vroom, and a few laps later, it really looses it's appeal for me. At least at concours, one can really spend time examining the cars up close and admire their beauty and engineering, from the interior, engine details, etc. Just a difference in tastes.

Texas Forever and tomc like this.
  3. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    That makes sense but I suspect you only are interested in the new cars. You don't see a TDF, 410 Sport, GTO or a 275P at car shows. If I want to see 430s, 458s, etc, I just go to a dealership.

Deemeyere Wim likes this.
  4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    You suspect wrong. While I have owned a brand new Ferrari before, my passion rests with older models. I would recommend you attend Pebble Beach, Amelia Island and Cavallino. You most certainly see the best of the best vintage cars in the world at these events.

5. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Like I said earlier regarding collections, everyone has different tastes. Some folks lavish a fortune on a restoration, never to turn a wheel in the spirit the car was originally intended. On the other hand, I've been airborne in an F40 on the way up to 140mph on the track but the folks at Pebble would never have that car on their show field. To me, looking at a "perfect" Ferrari sitting under a coating of wax and preservatives is just sad. Having said that, there are plenty of one-offs or special coachwork Ferraris that never were intended for competition. If the only place one of these could be seen is at a show, then that's fine too.

Nembo1777 and Texas Forever like this.
  6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Your preference for enjoying your passion is fine, but I was responding to your assertion that I only like new models, and that you can’t see vintage greats at shows. In fact, the greatest examples of the cars you listed (and many other models) are available for all to see at the top concours. And, many of the owners of those cars often drive them spiritedly.

7. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    With all due respect, my "assertion" as you put it, was a suspicion which you pointed out was wrong. Okay but it wasn't an assertion; don't take it so seriously.

My statement that you can't see (a list of classics) at a show was wrong when I wrote it and wrong now. I meant that you don't see them in the role they were intended, but I didn't write that. My bad. Having said that, since I grew up with experiences on the track and at the track with many significant Ferraris, silent show cars leave me rather cold.

8. bertha01

bertha01 Rookie

Sep 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    bertha ales
    fantastic collection[​IMG]

9. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    That's the best part of some of the big shows: Cavallino, FCA National, etc. You get plenty of time to check them out on the lawn, then see/hear many of them let rip on the track, all at the same event, if not always the same day. At concours, I want to see them run; at track days, I want to catch them in the paddock & check em out.

Having been into these cars and going to concours/track days for about 30 years, the only thing about a Ferrari event that's ever left me cold is the occasional arrogant, prima donna owner (thankfully, there don't seem to be too many of them).

tuttebenne and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  10. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I was at an event a few years ago and this gorgeous 275gtb was in the parking lot. There was a group of people standing around checking it out. The owner was nearby answering questions and that sort of thing. One guy focused on a spot on the front fender where the paint had chipped off. Admittedly it was pretty large, maybe five inches by two inches. The guy was audibly calling attention to the flaw and asking how someone could leave the car that way. The owner heard him and came over. He replied; "when the car is yours you can do whatever you want." I thought that was a great response. Not arrogant but very "to the point".

11. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    {groan} I hate people like that. Wonder what he'd think of the McNeil GTO? More than a few paint chips on that one. The 275 owner's response was perfect indeed, not arrogant at all.

Years ago I had a dealer principal go out of his way to try to keep me from getting a ride from one of their customer/drivers at a local track day; the customer happily went around the guy and arranged to give me a ride anyway. No idea why the dealer guy behaved that way at all, other than at the time I obviously wasn't in a position to be a paying customer, I was just an enthusiast. Had a great ride in a new 360 that day, but that dealer guy's attitude tainted the event for me. That's more the kind of arrogant d*ck I was talking about.

12. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Now that's a track event...275 GTB, Boxer, Dino, Daytona, BB/LM...and a 250 GTO in there as well. Actually I think I have a photo of that same BB/LM at the Bridge from 1995 or so.

tuttebenne likes this.
  13. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Couldn't agree more on both points. Jim's car is "perfect" as far as I am concerned. I have a shot of the windshield showing the NYS registration and Inspection stickers stuck on it. How...correct! :) And as for your experience with a dealer salesperson, let's face it, who needs them? Ferraris sell themselves.

audi_328 likes this.
  14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #39 tuttebenne, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    And the three cars on the inside of rows one and two and outside of three weren't garden variety 308s. They were all Michelotto rally cars. I have a video clip somewhere of a different BBLM leaving the paddock at full throttle with the owner banging the gears like it had a Muncie 4spd. I have to dig that up!

audi_328 likes this.
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    For me a "great collection" is a beautiful garage filled with Ferraris I can grab the keys to and going driving with friends; whether it be to lunch/dinner, a track event, or throw a soft-suitcase in the frunk and head across country.
    It would be nice to have one vintage car in the collection to say I have it, and to look at it, but they aren't as much fun to drive (at least my '59 Maserati 3500GT wasn't...scary in fact.)

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Funny you mention Mr. Shirley. My wife and I were on vacation in northern cascades when he pulled up in these with his friends and chase vehicles....turns out we were staying at same hotel...they were parked in the parking lot overnight....

17. cluboutrun

cluboutrun Karting

May 6, 2021
    Paradise Papers
  18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're right. It is different strokes. I love track events, particularly if I get to drive. I like a concurs, but I get bored easily. After an hour at Cavallino, I'm ready to head to the bar. Pebble Beach overwhelms me. They are beautiful cars, but I'll never get to drive them.

technom3, RudyP and cluboutrun like this.
  19. cluboutrun

cluboutrun Karting

May 6, 2021
    Paradise Papers
    Hi!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Sheme used to annoy me but he's always so darn positive its hard to hate on him too much. and he dresses a little nicer then doug demuro who looks like he got his outfits from high school in 1995. plus my kids like the intro where he goes "hey guys its shmee". if i want to make them laugh i substitute "shmee" for "me" in a sentence and it gets them every time. so there's that.

technom3 likes this.
  21. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    No, it's not :) This is actually the most unpleasant car youtuber out there.

22. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    lol. worse than doug? just curious, why you don't like him? because he's pretentious? or annoying? or more of a poser/youtuber than actual car guy? I think I'm talking myself into agreeing with you...

23. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Well, honestly, I like Doug. In my opinion he is funny and entertaining and not irritating at all. His videos are good and the guy itself looks much better than Shmee. I mean just his physical looks. Shmee looks like a total loser, like the ones we all have beaten in school... This is the guy I will expect the least to see driving a good looking and sexy exotic car. And when you are making videos, I guess that counts. He just looks like a total and absolute loser without even speaking. And when he speaks or laughs, he becomes just disgusting.

Also the way he makes his videos is not entertaining at all, he just blows dry facts and statistics about a car, that we already know, nothing like the videos of Doug. And yes, I do think Shmee is a poser a little bit and if you think about it, he just buys new cars and not really machines, that most real petrolheads will buy.

But this is just my opinion, I don't want anybody to agree with me at all.

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #49 Rifledriver, Sep 9, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    Probably because back then none of them were worth anything.

Lets take this mythological owner. Younger fitter guy, maybe in his 40's. Now 37 years later he is 80 or so. He has more money but not as fit or in great shape anymore. Maybe bad heart, bad eyesight. Same cars, same guy but these days he contents himself looking at the collection he loves and looks at pictures of he and his friends on the track and telling slightly embellished stories of the old days.

Question. Is he now a bad owner/collector because he can no longer use the cars like that ? Same cars.....Same guy? Doctor says no, wife says no, common sense says no?

willrace and Texas Forever like this.
  25. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Well said, Brian. The whole debate about what makes a good owner is so stupid. If someone likes to drive their car everyday, great for him. Of another likes keeping it in concours condition, that’s fantastic too. For the record, many, like me, drive their cars AND keep them in superb cosmetic condition (yes, it can be done). It’s ridiculous how some in either camp love to shame the other. Enjoy what you have however you choose.

Rifledriver and Texas Forever like this.