94 512TR 66,000 mile major | Page 5 | FerrariChat

94 512TR 66,000 mile major

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The 19 mm tensioner bolts get torqued to 55 Nm (40 ft lb) and the 19 mm camshaft sprocket bolts to 98 Nm (72 ft lb).
    After final torque is applied, designate each fastener with a "witness" mark.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  3. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  4. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The kit contains the replacement plastic housing, rubber boot and even the pins to crimp on your old wires if needed. The terminals are called "junior power timer" and appear to be the gold plated double terminals that are used in the Dave Helms Gold Connector kit. Bonus. All for $12.50 each. I bought 3 male and 2 female kits. Delivered in 4 days.
    As you can see, they are a perfect match for the existing plastic housings on the wiring harness.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  6. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would have remade the clamp, it looks over built....:D :D

8. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    It was either modify the metal or the plastic. Plastic seemed easier, and if I mess up I'm only out $12...

Babalouie likes this.
  9. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I got a PM from Scott about the feeler gauges, so I'm passing along a bit more info:

Hi Scott,
    I was just beginning to wonder if anyone was following this post, but if it helps out even one person, it is worth it. I hope it's not too simplistic. I'm trying not to leave any steps out.
    You need offset (bent end) gauges. These will do perfectly.
    Amazon.com: ABN Universal Standard SAE and Metric Offset Valve Feeler Gauge 16-Piece Blade Tool for Measuring Gap Width/Thickness: Automotive
    You also need a caliper. A cheap electronic one that reads in metric or SAE is good enough.
    Amazon.com: Performance Tool W80152 Electronic Digital Caliper with Extra Large LCD Screen, 6": Automotive
    The pick that I used to depress the shim bucket was already listed in the post. You can make the stupid tool (do a search - there are many variants) to hold down the edge of the bucket or you can borrow mine when you get ready to do the valves.
    Jim

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I wonder a little:
    you trust those original markings on the cams? you do such a great job, why not just double check the timing with a degree wheel? I just did the same on my BB and I know there one mark is about minimum 5 ° camshaft ( so 10 ° crankshaft ) beside the settings. when you will use a degree wheel you also have to follow then the instruction because of the valve clearance with 0,5 mm for setting the timing.

vincenzo likes this.
  11. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    By the way, that little bracket is $79.10.
    The phase sensor in "unavailable".

12. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    You are right, the best way to do it is to degree the cams and check the accuracy of the timing marks, but the engine was running so well when I pulled it out that I decided to skip it. I've degreed engines (Pontiac) in the past, but it would be a pain to find someplace to attach the gauge on an aluminum engine (I use a magnetic mount on non-alloy engines).

13. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    What a great play by play!! As far as belt inspections go, I've been told by mechanics to look at the flat side of the belt and look for wear lines that mimic the distance between the ribs below. Plus anything that's obvious! Cheers
    Sent from my SM-A705W using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    to make a piece of steel, screw it to the engine and put a magnetic holder on is not such a hard work.

I only think when you just do so much work why not just do it right?

when I once did the beltjob on my BB after I baught it in 2005 I also thaught it was running great. but after the job with degree wheel in 2007 or 2008 the engine responded much much faster and better than before to the gaspedal and needed less fuel. and after about 12 years the belts still were looking not bad, only the bearings lost a little "grease". but no reason to worry. will do then the belt job again in 10 years ( if I still can drive? ) age is greeting ;)

15. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    You are right, Turbo-Joe, I cannot argue with your logic.

16. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    No wear lines on the flat side. I've got my first set of belts that I changed in 2005 after 4 years and 14,000 miles. They all look the same.

17. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    BOKE likes this.
  18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  19. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    sick job, awesome post, and envious i will never experience the satisfaction because im not capable

20. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    How do you know you are not capable unless you try?
    You go slow, ask questions, make mistakes, learn and eventually you will get it right. That's the fun of it.

MrAwilson and turbo-joe like this.
  21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    All gibberish to me unfort. Looks like a complicated mesh of chaos to me.

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    then you never have seen realy complicated mesh of chaos. here only 6 wires ;)

23. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    This is not chaos. Not even close.
    For 40 years I worked in Emergency Departments and Trauma Centers. Gunshots, plane crashes, heart attacks, strokes, overdoses. Multiple patients, all critical, all at the same time. You have to keep a hundred pieces of information in your head at once and make split second decisions. You make one mistake and somebody loses a mother or a husband or a child. I have looked chaos straight in the eye and I have made chaos my *****.
    If 6 little wires makes you nervous, then maybe your original statement is correct, but that's OK. Just follow along with this post and enjoy the ride. FChat exists for our entertainment and knowledge. It's all good.

24. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Sorry for the deleted expletive above. It rhymes with witch...

Camp Freddie and BOKE like this.