For Sale - 2005 Aston Martin Vanquish S | FerrariChat

For Sale 2005 Aston Martin Vanquish S

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cgperry, Oct 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    #1 cgperry, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    2005 Aston Martin Vanquish S

This stunning example is finished in Tungsten Silver over hand-stitched Sandstorm leather and alcantara. Powered by a 5.9 liter V-12 with one of the best exhaust notes on the planet, this car stirs all the senses. The Vanquish, designed by Ian Callum, has consistently been voted one of the best looking cars ever, including awards from Edmunds.com (“100 Most Beautiful Cars Ever Made”) and Road and Track magazine. This car features the lighter “2+0” seating configuration, trading the useless back seats for lighter weight and a useful storage area with retractable cargo straps), plus a covered storage compartment.

The ‘S’ Vanquish carries numerous upgrades over the original Vanquish, including a bump to 520hp (versus the original’s 460). New cylinder heads with modified combustion chambers, new fuel injectors, new spark plugs, and new forged-steel connecting rods are features that help account for the power boost. The ‘S’ received as standard equipment the “Sports Dynamics” package, including stiffer suspension springs, lower ride height and new suspension geometry for better handling, a quicker steering ratio and 19-inch lightweight wheels. Brakes are significantly improved with six-piston calipers in the front. Exterior modifications on the ‘S’ included the wider, more curved front grille, a front splitter, and a larger “duckbill” rear spoiler for enhanced aerodynamic stability and less drag.

This car features a 6-speed “automated manual” transmission. It can be shifted either by the steering wheel paddles or in ASM mode to simulate a normal automatic transmission. The electro-hydraulic shift mechanism is the same as that used on the Ferrari 360 Modena, although the Vanquish uses the stronger Tremec transmission underneath. It has a “Wheelspin” mode for driving on slick surfaces, and a “Sport” mode for faster shifts in spirited driving. Standard features include 4 wheel ventilated, grooved disc brakes with ABS, Electronic Brake force Distribution, Dynamic Stability Control, Emergency Brake Control and Traction Control.

Developed from the Project Vantage concept car, the Vanquish features a bonded aluminum chassis mated to a body tub made from extruded aluminum and carbon fiber. Carbon fiber and other composites are used throughout the crash structure of the car for strength and light weight. Body panels are made from superformed aluminum.

The Vanquish (in this same Tungsten color) was featured in the James Bond film “Die Another Day”. The Vanquish was the last of the truly hand-built Aston Martins, assembled at the Newport Pagnell factory, and has earned a place in the impressive history of Aston Martin models.

The car is amazingly comfortable and is a seriously fast and capable grand tourer. We have been fortunate enough to own a number of exotic cars, and this one is my wife’s favorite for being both civilized and beautiful. At shows, this car is consistently the women’s choice as Best in Show. The seats are comfortable for cruising but also terrifically supportive for quick driving. The Linn sound system is impressive, although it struggles to get over the V-12 music if you’re driving fast.

If you’ve shopped Vanquishes, you know how unique this interior is. The majority of Vanquishes have black or gray leather, which deadens the interior. Others have hideously ugly interiors of red, blue or even green. The Sandstorm is elegant and welcoming, and is paired with silver-gray carpets to hide marks and dirt while blending with the Tungsten exterior. I searched for more than a year to find this particular interior as only two were made in this specification. It completely transforms the look of the car and still smells new. There is light wear on the driver’s side bolster that was there when I bought the car. I have a local leather company which can refinish it but wanted to give the new owner the option.

This car has had the whole car covered in paint protection film from the time I got it (approximately 12k miles). The film was done completely custom (not from a template in a film company’s computer), and so the seams and edge lines are beautifully hidden on this car.

There is a medium bronze tint on the side windows and the windshield is fully covered in a clear ceramic window tint. This does an amazing job of rejecting heat and keeping UV rays off of the leather to protect it from drying and discoloring.

Nit picks on this car include a tiny door ding (roughly ¾”) on the driver’s door. The paint is not cracked or chipped and a good paintless dent removal company may be able to fix that. There is light scuffing between the front bumper and the splitter. There is some fading on the paint on the brake calipers. The passenger side seat tilt lever can come loose, but we’ve never had reason to tilt the seats. The airbag dash light is on. The dealer traced the code to a driver’s side seat-belt pre-tensioner sensor, but I have not had the car back to a dealer since to have that fixed. The rearview mirror was recently rebuilt to fix a Vanquish known-issue where the auto-dimming mirror LCD fluid leaks out. If it leaks out of the mirror housing, it can ruin the leather center console underneath, so this car is safe from that now.

I am selling the car to help finance a mountain house for my wife. Dealer and broker inquiries are welcome but I am not looking to wholesale the car. This is an absolutely rare and beautiful car in near perfect condition and I am willing to wait to make sure it goes to a proper home. Pre-purchase inspections are encouraged and I will assist in getting the car to the shop of your choice. Test drives are fine for pre-qualified buyers. Buyer is responsible for transport costs for getting the car. I will help coordinate with pickup, and I know several decent shippers if you want to go that way. Or fly in and drive it home. Nothing like a road trip to get to know your new Aston!

Clean CarFax. Clear South Carolina title is in-hand and car is sold in As-Is Condition with no warranty stated or implied. Call Charles at 843-870-9999 or [email protected]. Asking $92,745 or best offer.

Options:
    Tungsten Silver Exterior
    Sandstorm Interior
    Non-Standard Headliner (Sandstorm Alcantara)
    Non-Standard Seats (Sandstorm Alcantara inserts)
    Linn Audio System with Subwoofer and 6-Disc CD Changer
    Red Brake Calipers ($450)
    Custom-fitted Noah Indoor/Outdoor Cover ($250)
    Exterior Chrome Door Handles
    Reverse Parking Sensors
    “Clear Bra” paint protection film over the entire car
    Medium Window Tint
    Clear Ceramic Windshield Tint
    Additional plenum cover custom finished in red powder coat

Performance:
    520 horsepower
    425 lb-ft of torque
    0-60mph in 4.2 seconds
    0-100mph in less than ten seconds
    Top Speed over 200 mph

Vehicle Equipment:

Exterior Features
    · Automatic headlight control
    · Projector beam halogen headlights
    · Folding body-color mirrors
    · Rain-sensing windshield wipers w/blade mounted washer jets
    · Tinted glass
    · Twin bonnet air vents

Interior Features
    · 700W Aston Martin premium audio system: AM/FM stereo, CD-changer, (11) speakers
    · Alloy trim on doors & dashboard
    · Auto-dimming rearview mirror
    · Automatic climate control system
    · Driver/passenger door pockets
    · First-aid kit
    · Full grain leather & Alcantara seat trim
    · Instrumentation: speedometer, tachometer, fuel level, message center display
    · Leather-wrapped tilt/telescopic steering wheel w/paddle shifters
    · Peripheral anti-theft protection w/immobilizer
    · Power door locks w/remote keyless entry
    · Power heated sport bucket seats
    · Power windows w/dual 1-touch capability
    · Rear window defogger
    · Remote trunk/hatch release
    · Storage compartments: lockable glovebox, dashboard console
    · Tire pressure sensing system w/trunk mounted LED readout
    · Trip computer
    · Trunk mounted umbrella

Mechanical Features
    · 19" x 10" rear alloy wheels
    · 19" x 9" front alloy wheels
    · 22 gallon fuel tank
    · 4.30 rear axle ratio
    · 4-wheel anti-lock braking system
    · 5.9L DOHC MPFI 48-valve V12 engine
    · 6-speed manual transmission: Auto shift mode (ASM) / Select shift manual (SSM) modes, Sport mode
    · Battery conditioner
    · Battery disconnect switch
    · Electronic traction control w/wheel slip protection
    · Front/rear independent double wishbone aluminum suspension w/coil springs
    · Front/rear stabilizer bars
    · Fully catalyzed stainless steel exhaust w/active by-pass valves
    · Limited slip differential
    · P255/40ZR19 Michelin front tires
    · P285/40ZR19 Michelin rear tires
    · Power 4-wheel ventilated disc brakes w/electronic brake force distribution (EBD)
    · Rear wheel drive
    · Speed sensitive power rack & pinion steering
    · Twin power train electronic control systems (PTEC)

Safety Features
    · 3-point seat belts w/pre-tensioners
    · Driver & front passenger airbags w/occupant sensors
    · Electronic traction control w/ wheel slip protection
    · Front & rear crash structures
    · Side-impact door beams

sherrillt and ryalex like this.
  2. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
  3. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    CarFax

Attached Files:

4. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
  5. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    So much yes, just about my ideal car. FYI, your pic link doesn't work. Is it a 2+0 or 2+2?

6. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    2+0. Thanks for the heads-up on the link. I'm working on fixing that now. In the meantime, this one should work:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D8698784_08965535_84122905

7. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I think maybe one needs to be a member of that site--all I get is a payment plan page when I click on your link.

8. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
  9. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    How many miles on the car now?

10. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    How did I miss that? 19,126 as of today.

11. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Price Reduced to $89,745.00 :)

12. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Great car. You are in Charleston?

13. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
  14. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    So beautiful.
    I have been looking for one.
    Just not sure about the dam transmission etc...
    Was speaking to Tom P. over at Auto Sport Design and he says these clutches can be a bit of a *****. One really needs to understand how to drive one to not muck it up..
    I want one bad!

15. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Really the only thing I've seen with her about the transmission is that it's a good idea to go through the procedure to have the car re-learn the bite point of the clutch regularly. It's an easy procedure to do and requires no tools/computers. Takes about ten minutes in the garage or driveway. I do it a couple of times a year and it seems to minimize any slippage. I won't say that her happy place is crawling through rush hour traffic, but it can be done.

A friend recently bought a 575M, which is very similar. He figured out about the same thing I did - they like it best when driven like a true manual. That means shifting to neutral at a stop (pull both paddles), and then providing adequate throttle when pulling away in first. Other than that nothing different for driving style with it.

When I first bought the car I considered sending it back to A-M to have the manual conversion done, but after driving it for a while I like how this transmission fits the character of the car. It's a carefree cruiser when you want it to be, but at heavy throttle the shifts are authoritative, and certainly as fast or faster than I could do in a manual. Being able to drop multiple gears with multiple pulls is big fun, and the rev matching means she's always balanced through decel zones and into curves. There are plenty of high mileage Vanquishes out there and the forums don't seem to have any complaints about clutch wear or early replacement.

psych0hans likes this.
  16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Previous Vanquish (non S) would really benefit from manual conversion but the S was much improved and if someone would bother to put some effort in learning how to properly use that type of transmission, the conversion would be unnecessary and the car would be truly enjoyable to use.
    Most of the complaints at F1 type shifting come from folks with either not enough experience with them or too lazy to learn how to properly use it.

psych0hans and cgperry like this.
  17. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Thanks for this.. Very well explained.. What about going up a hill with traffic? How long have you owned the car?

18. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    I wish I could give you an honest assessment on the hill question, but I live in Charleston, South Carolina. Everything here is straight and flat, making it a pretty dull place for a sports car. I did do a couple of road trips with it to the foothills of Virginia with the Aston Martin Club. She was fantastic in the hills and mountains, but there was no traffic to speak of besides our group leaving the hotel together. I bought the car in September of 2011.

19. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Price Reduced to $87,545.00. Would really like her to have a new family in time to enjoy spring. :)

20. Nate Allen

Nate Allen Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    Hood River, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate Allen
  21. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The whole clutch thing is way overblown on these beasts. Simply imagine that you are driving a three pedal car without the 3rd pedal when driving and shifting and all is good. If you are driving any manual sports car and are taking off, would you hold the car on a hill or take off slipping(riding) the clutch? Whether it's a Porsche, Ferrari or a Honda, if you slip the clutch often, it will burn up and won't last long. Driving the car like a automatic or tiptronic type trans is easy to do in this car, but it will cause premature wear.
    My 2003 Vanq needed the original hydraulic sensors replaced at 26,000 miles to the magnetic S upgrade. With the trans out, I had them replace the original clutch because everything was already apart. The original 26k mile double plate clutch had @40% left. The S upgrade that they do is a beefier single plate clutch which lasts longer.

22. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Edit: Little door ding mentioned above under "Nit Picks" has been fixed with no remaining evidence.

I had a good PDR guy over for an issue with a different car and he was able to do this car at the same time. He did a beautiful job, so one less nit to pick. :)

23. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    cant get the pic file to open?

24. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    I had the same issue just now. Sugarsync is a little wonky when you compress their links. I just re-loaded the file and it downloads and opens fine for me now. Try it here:

https://bit.ly/2o2zCvB

If that doesn't work, PM me your e-mail and I'll try to send the link a different way, or I can reduce the size of the photos and e-mail it directly.