225 S s/n 190ED history | FerrariChat

225 S s/n 190ED history

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by mat, Jun 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mat

mat Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2006
    Warsaw/Lodz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mateusz
    Hello fellow Ferrari enthusiast,
    I'm currently working on an article covering the story of Ferrari 225 S s/n 190 ED and I face some problems putting the whole history of this car into one. I'm especially looking for any facts from the period between its accident that took place in the '50s and its reconstruction which took place in the '90s. Does anyone know the carrozzeria that did the reconstruction of this car in the '90s and what was the extent of its works? Looking forward to any help,
    many thanks for your interest,
    Matt Zuchowski

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    0190 ED was sold new to first owner Jacques Peron (Cogemati SA in Casablanca, Maroc), resident in Nice, France (as a replacement for 0182 ED which was seriously damaged by fire in Maroc in May 1952).
    June 25, 1952, the car was shown during the Paris Concours d’Elégance at the Bois de Boulogne, Paris, entrant #115, registered on French license plates “7470 MA 19” (MA=of the Departement Maroc, 19=Casablanca).
    August 13-17, 1952, it was raced at the Liège-Rome-Liège rally by Marius Heyman and Claude Leguezec (later director of MATRA), race #41, badly crashed between Rome and Liège, Heyman was killed, Leguezec survived, front damaged in the crash (car hit a tree), then rebuilt with a different grille opening and a new grille.
    It was then sold to Garage Joseph Ampoulie in Neuilly and re-registered on French plates.
    Ampoulie and Yves Giraud-Cabantous raced it at the Reims 12 hours June 30/July 1, 1956, race #19, placed 7th OA. During 1957 it was raced again in France.
    June 9, 1958, the carte grise (French title) was cancelled. In 1975 the car was at Garage Cecchi in Chambéry, without rear bodywork and no roof section and in rather poor condition. Two more owners followed. The car had been in a fairly bad garage fire, the entire rear section and roof was badly burned and had to be cut away. The interior was gutted as well, gauges damaged, doors and seat frames survived. 3 April 1998 then owner Jacques Montanari sold the car via a French and an Italian broker to Angelo Galeazzi in Brescia, Italy, where in 1998/1999 it was completely restored and fitted with a brand new body.

Below a photo showing the car after the fatal crash. And another shot taken 1975 when with Cecchi.
    DISCLAIMER: Both photos are NOT mine and of unknown copyright to me.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP and 375+ like this.
  3. mat

mat Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2006
    Warsaw/Lodz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mateusz
    thank you Mr Massini, flawless contribution as always. Do you happen to know who did this 1998/99 restoration in Italy?

mamy thanks again
    Matt Zuchowski

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I do not know which shop did the restoration 20 years ago.

Marcel Massini

5. ferrarik

ferrarik Karting

Feb 21, 2015
    I have a lot of pictures from the car. It was for sale in Belgium last year.

6. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    My old records (pre-computer) came from Jess Pourret, who claimed that the factory turned him loose for several days to copy their records. I show as originally a 212, S/N 0190E, Vignale. He spelled the Casablanca Distributor as Cognati. I would never dispute MM, but for sure some 212's were converted to 225's. Sorry for the muddy waters!