New 400i Owner - Re-Introduction | FerrariChat

New 400i Owner - Re-Introduction

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by james.colangelo, Oct 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    All,

It's been a long time since I have been active on this forum, so it's really nice to be back. My name is Jim Colangelo, and I live in the Detroit area (Detroit proper, actually). I had a Mondial which I sold back in 2009, which of course I regretted but a move to New York City necessitated the sale. I actually wonder where that car went.. it was black with a red interior. I think it probably went into disrepair and I'm guessing it's junked somewhere, but I hope not.

At any rate, I found a 1983 400i for sale and have just purchased it. It is being shipped this week and I hope to have it this weekend. It's a manual transmission model. It's been driven quite regularly and I'm guessing some of you are already familiar with it. It has been for sale for a while, and I have been watching it intently as I was the one on BaT - however I was insistent on a manual transmission model.

The interior of my car has a nice "patina" (haha) but drives very strong and runs well. It has a couple of minor electrical gremlins (trunk, fuel, hood popper for example) but otherwise in good order including working A/C. I'm looking forward to learning all I can about this car from my old and new friends here; this is the exciting part - getting to know the quirks of your car, all the ins and outs, the right fluids, the parts interchanges, diagnosing issues - I love this and I'm super excited.

I work on my car for the most part myself. I'm not going to be the one to pull an engine and rebuild it (save out of my old Fiat) but I'll do what I can, and leave the real heavy stuff to professionals should the need arise. I'm really looking forward to driving this car.

Any information on reputable mechanics would be helpful, and of course if you're local we should definitely grab a coffee soon while the weather is still holding! I'm familiar with Auto Europe however I have always heard mixed reviews there. I do very much prefer independent mechanics vs. the dealer, not so much for cost but for actual expertise on vintage cars - I haven't really seen it exist at a dealership.

I've attached a couple of pictures here; if you can identify my car, the VIN number is; ZFFEB07B000047367

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ak Jim and Jasonberkeley like this.
  2. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    Congrats, Joe. I was just contacting Daniel about that car! He was at Hershey last Friday as I was heading home from there, thinking to stop in and see this car. It looks like a decent car; I like the colors, the manual trans and especially the beautiful sound! Hope you get to drive it some before winter sets in!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    Congrats James...rest of msg is the same...should allow editing for stupid mistakes!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Thanks so much! Yes Daniel seems like a great guy. He mentioned he would be at Hershey. I am really excited. No worries about my name haha

5. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Congrats! Love the photos of the car that were part of the listing!

6. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Thanks! Yeah the photos were really well done, prob worth an extra $10K .. hahaha I'm kidding I think

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  7. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nice ride, how many miles? Have you got it back to your house yet and taken it around the block?

8. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Congratulations on a nice car. I like the color and the brown interior is especially nice.

9. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Thank you!

It should be delivered tomorrow, so I'll definitely be driving it around the block and then some - no plates yet but .. whatever.. :)

She has a tick over 60K on the clock.

10. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    James
    Is the paint the original color? If so, what is color code. My car was repainted very close to original but I have not figured for sure what the original color code is.
    Ken

11. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    James, I am a Detroit area resident who has owned a 1980 400i for 35 + years. It was a great daily driver for me early on although it has not accumulated many miles in the last 15 years. It is an automatic. It has been maintained by Cauley Ferrari most recently but I used European Auto in Chicago for many years while I lived there. No advice on local independent ships but please share any leads you discover. I just shipped the 400 to West Palm Beach where I will have its mechanical restoration completed and then figure out whether I do a full body respray or not. Welcome to the fold!

12. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Hi and thanks! I did receive the car and I am having intermittent starting issues, which the seller has been very gracious and understanding about. Trying to nail that down, may need to take it in sooner rather than later. Perhaps Cauley is the way to go, I'll give them a call.

Thanks for your kind message, you'll be seeing a lot more of me here.

13. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Hi Ken,

I'm not sure what the code is but as I dig into the car I'll find out. I just received it on Friday.

Jim

14. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    James, I've assumed your car is painted Rosso Nearco (Italver), whilst Ken's looks to be Rosso Metallizzato Fer 305/C (Glasurit).
    Glasurit paints had recently been introduced on the 400i when Ken's car was produced. David

15. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Ahh very good - thank you!

16. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    No, I already own the car it's in my garage. I don't think Daniel (the seller) ever took the ad down. I purchased outside of eBay.

17. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Welcome back James, beautiful and very rare car!

Hopefully you got the starting issues sorted out. Please post pics!

Enjoy in good health!

Ruben

18. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Thank you so much Ruben! I will keep folks posted. It hasn't done it now in several days.. I hate intermittent problems.. but I'm letting it sit a while before trying again (2 days) so we shall see.

So far this forum has already provided so much valuable information - I can't imagine life without it when owning one of these cars.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  19. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Congrats Jeff...
    What a beautiful car too..
    I was tempted when it was on BAT, but I have 2 already..I have car-sickness problems..
    This a great group of Gents too. Any issues you have with it bring it here.
    I heard you really stole the car too. Good on you..
    Just love that car and its colors..
    Send some pictures soon..
    Best of luck and enjoy..
    Mike

20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Nice car!

james.colangelo likes this.
  21. PetMar