Official C8 Corvette picture thread | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Official C8 Corvette picture thread

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Ignoring the Targa as it is not the same as a convertible in any way....

2018 Ferrari 488 GTB: $252,800
    2018 Ferrari 488 Spider: $280,900
    Difference: +$28,100 for convertible (over 10% more)

2018 McLaren 720S: $284,745
    2018 McLaren 720S Spider: $315,000
    Difference: +$30,255 for convertible (over 10% more)

TheMayor likes this.
  2. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm not really sure what that guy is on about, and I wasn't about to sit though 20 minutes of listening to him whine about it. The spokes of the wheel are angled so that your hands can wrap around the wheel at 9 and 3. There's really very few wheels where you can wrap all of your fingers around without touching SOME of the spokes of the wheel. Seems like he's complaining just for the sake of complaining to me. I was able to sit in the C8, and I actually like the design and feel of the wheel--aside from the fact that the paddle shifters are mounted to the wheel and not the column.

3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #453 BJK, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  4. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Ehh.. I think the statement that follows your quote is more important:
    "This harsh judgment comes not from a cynical reaction to the buzz surrounding the Corvette, but instead as a function of GM’s past performance. Like that unfair high-school teacher who rounds down your grade because he thinks you can do better, we’re reducing the C8’s verdict from “great” to merely “good.”

But we don’t just think Chevrolet can do better, we know it can. GM’s chassis tuning is, typically, among the best in the business. It’s sometimes even the best, showing companies like Porsche and Ferrari how a car should feel and how it should respond. The last-generation, C7 Corvette Stingray was nothing short of magnificent."

Donatella likes this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Journalists are missing the mark.

They keep comparing it to the C7. "Oh I'm so excited! No Corvette felt this way!"

Well -- who cares?

They should be comparing it to the REAL competition of the C8 -- the Porsche Cayman.

And, I think it loses. Seems like brakes and handling are underwhelming -- and this is on the fully loaded car with Magnaride and bigger brakes.

Isn't brakes and handling why we buy sports cars instead of another SUV?

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Not sure what you are referring to, that was an extremely positive review..he was gushing over the car.

BJK likes this.
  7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    The Smoking Tire review

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Corvette is magical. At its price point nothing comes close. Is someone cross shopping it against a Pista? Hell no. Could they cross shop the Z06? Perhaps, time will tell. However, there are a lot of people who don’t need the cache of owning a Ferrari or Mclaren. They’ve been there and done it. For them, performance on par with a 458 and no fear of deprecation is huge. Far more of these people exist than loyal Ferrari owners.

9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Its a no brainer for someone who will daily drive it along with doing track days. Lease c8 for under 1000/month then just return it 3 yrs or spend $150k on 458 and worry about repairs and resale. Cayman gt4 only other option and its not as comfortable, no pdk, no open top, and 50% more $. Same for evora. No alternative to c8

elevated velocity and Face76 like this.
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    I agree with your comment, but, 'no fear of depreciation"??? It's a mass produced Chevrolet Corvette. It WILL depreciate just like a mass produced Chevrolet Corvette.
    What is huge is this performance, at this price, WITH A WARRANTY. As opposed to a used, out of warranty, Ferrari or Mac.

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    but total lost on c8 depreciation wont compare to a 488, mclaren, lambo. can easily lose more than total c8 cost on those cars if drive and use them like they should be. besides, lease prices so attractive on c8, who cares? just give it back after 3 yrs

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    guys or girls who have experienced $100k or depreciation won’t bat an eye at a car costing $70k. Worst case you lose $30k. So what!

13. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Maybe $35,000 if your kid/wife/dog/girl friend barfs in it.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  14. Philipnz

Philipnz Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    Whitianga New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Philip Hart
    I’d image the rear engine corvette will have the same effect on rear engined Ferrari’s as front engined corvettes have had on front engine Ferrari’s.

CK7684 likes this.
  15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    totally disagree with that. mid engine is unique enough on its own that buyers will consider others. v12 front engine ferrari is orbits in its own universe

16. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    What a Mclaren depreciates the first year, you can buy a C8...

thecarreaper and Jo Sta7 like this.
  17. Philipnz

Philipnz Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    Whitianga New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Philip Hart
    The California is a front engined V8 and sold in it's droves in the same market as the Corvette

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So you get a Z06 and a moron in a Camry rear ends you.

No biggie. Fix the damn car and get back on the road

Do that in a Pista and see how much you cry.

To me the Vette is just a mass produced car. Its not special. And because its not special I don't worry about it which makes my driving experiences more fun.

rdefabri, thecarreaper, sigar and 2 others like this.
  19. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I watched the Smoking TIre video and really appreciated his comments at the end. He pointed out things I thought would happen to keep costs down. Matt even admitted that the novelty wore off really quick and its just a vette to him now. I foresee a first year boom in sales and then going down just like all years previously. If you had issues with the vette previously you will have issues with this one. The quality of the interior is not as great as everyone currently thinks. Matt brings that up and you can actually see all the plastic parts in the vid. AND HE SAID IT SMELLS LIKE A VETTE INSIDE. Oh my, that means GLUE smell. I loved all the vettes I have owned but this one has not caught my interest.

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    which in turn makes it special!

TheMayor likes this.
  21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Aside from the new painting process, I assume Chevy will use all of its tried and trued manufacturing methods and materials as before.

My C7 Convertible had a strong smell of glue every time I opened the trunk. It had it when I traded it a year later.

rdefabri likes this.
  22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    agreed! Look what they did with that huge hippo the zl1 camaro...genius!

23. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I raced a c5z06. Best thing about it when we made contact often the plastic would just pop back out and all you lost was some paint.

of2worlds, rdefabri and TheMayor like this.