360 Modena - drivers door will not open. | FerrariChat

360 Modena - drivers door will not open.

Discussion in '360/430' started by one4torque, Sep 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    OK gents, I've searched and not found the solution to this problem.

My battery drained down, when I went to unlock the door and re-attached the tender, the alarm made several beeps, and the locks popped open then reclosed quickly.

I attempted to unlock via the key and it felt like something clicked or came loose or jammed in the inner door.
    I also attempted to open the drivers door from the inside and it is jammed as well.

I've tried to disconnect the battery, and reconnect it to reset the immob.
    Drivers door is still jammed, and you cannot unlock the drivers door with the fob, key, or by hand from the inside door handle.

Psgr side works normal.

I do notice when I open the psgr door, the door locks click on/off probably sensing the drivers side lock is jammed.

I need to get access to the drivers door panel to remove it and replace the cables, and door lock mech. New one on order from recambi.

Is there some way to open the drivers door in my current state????
    outer door handle will not open it,
    inner door handle will not open it,

cheers - Jeff

2. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I’ve been dreading the day this happens to me. I found a couple of threads that may help. Just do a search for “door open” as the keywords.

I have no actual experience but there a

430 drivers door won’t open
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/430-drivers-door-won%E2%80%99t-open.574114/

My Door Won't Open, at all...
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/My-Door-Won%27t-Open%2C-at-all%2E%2E%2E.441821/

Passenger Door won't open.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/Passenger-Door-won%27t-open%2E.558044/

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Welcome to the party.

I just went through this. Likely your door latch has gummed up and will require replacement.

This happened on my passenger door. Took a long time to fish for the cable opening the latch with a coat hanger and removing the door panel for access even though the door would not open.

So first will be to slightly remove the door panel, gain access to the cable from down the side of the glass, then once open, replace the latches and cables with new ones. I ordered mine from eurospares and they are like butter now - the way they should be. But I guess after 17 years, it just gets gunned up in that area.

Robb

4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Thx gents. All part of my f car bonding I suppose !! Thx for the help I shall tackle this next weekend. Wish me all the luck of a Finn-American working on an Italian product -/

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The cable from the outer door release handle to the door latch mechanism is sticking or is slightly seized. There is no way that you can remove the inner door panel with the door closed, which is just as well as it doesn't help in opening the door.
    You must roll the window down and work in between the outer door panel and the window glass to move the lever on the door latch that the cable from the outer door release handle attaches to.
    I use plastic wedges to open the gap between the door panel and glass for better access, and then use a flashlight with a long flexible end with an LED on the end to see what I am doing. I use a long screwdriver to push the lever back to its home position on the door latch.

If you go to this thread: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-door-wont-open-at-all.441821/ Then look at the photo on post #13, you can see the lever and cable that I am talking about. You must move the lever in the direction that is the opposite of what the cable pulls it in. Once you have done this, you should be able to unlock the door and open it.

Then you have to remove the inner door panel, latch and replace the sticking cable.

Robb likes this.
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Perfect!

Fiat parts! Argh!!!

7. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Hey Jeff I’m off this weekend, let me know if you want a hand

8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Thx for the offer bud!

Prob won’t get to this till after our party.

And waiting for some parts.

Thx for the support!!!!! They need to create an f car crisis hotline......

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Fixed today!!!

Used a coat hanger to fashion a hook to release the outer handle open pressure. Then hit the key fob and lock popped free.... open right up!

Installed the new ricambi actuator and cables. All smooth now.

Note one of the cable ends from ricambi part was wrong so had to reuse one of the old cables

Thx all.., suspect my diy and you guys saved me a g!

Robb likes this.
  10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    NOTE - Assuming the interior and ext cables were NOT getting the force to the actuator.... I tried for an hour to force the actuator open in the direction of the cables when they pull tension to open the door..... this did not work.... I noticed the actuator for each cable was already jammed in it's full open position....

so I made this little coat hanger hook and released the compression for the outer door handle.... it popped right free. easy peasy.

hook is affixed to the lever in the position i used to pull up to release the compression..... fyi..

hope this helps somebody. Oh and be super carefull working next to the glass.... I made a faint scratch in my window..... 1cm.... hardly noticable.... will not be seen if I put a light tint.... but be super careful.... I even put tape on my tools and still managed this little imperfection.

ALSO if your door latch is loose.... and feels loose when you open the door... mine acted this way and it was on it's way out. After installing this new lock from ricambi it feels like brand new. latches perfectly.... and releases with an easy pull and a quick pop open... where before I had to lean on the door ever so slightly to release the latch.
    GL>

Image Unavailable, Please Login

brookliner7 and Robb like this.
  11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looks similar to the 430 lock- made by Lancia

12. TEZZA

TEZZA Rookie

Jan 27, 2015
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    Tezza
    They are actually Lancia locks.
    Same crap different name.

Most likely as someone said they have gummed up.

My 430 got a bit problematic and I was aware this could happen so I removed the door card and fully removed the lock.
    Cleaned it up with WD40 then re-lubricated the whole thing and worked it a lot to get it all through the mechanism.
    Have a look at this you tube video

It tells all.

Terry
    Australia

brookliner7 likes this.
  13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Cheers Terry - I had already tried to lube my tired lancia door lock mechanism...... did this 2 mo's ago... then it jammed. I suspect some mechanisms are so worn even the lube does not cure the lock out.

Now my psgr door is begging for attn...... so I'll do another PM.

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    My drivers door lock a few weeks ago decided to not lock anymore when I pressed the fob. Opened fine and otherwise works normal, just didn't lock. Turns out motor was bad.

Took a couple hours to replace it with a new lock from ricambi.

I opened it up and will try to post pics of the internal lock mechanism when I get a chance..

brookliner7, one4torque and kes7u like this.