FERRARI 288 GTO | Page 530 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 288 GTO

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by kizdan, May 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    of2worlds, bert308 and joe sackey like this.
  3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Totally agree, Joe. Despite what some think, there are ways to protect seat stress points and bolster wear that are rather simple. It’s simply a matter of diligence. As we all know, few care enough to focus on these details.

joe sackey likes this.
  4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    of2worlds, Ak3 and joe sackey like this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #13230 Marcel Massini, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    of2worlds, Ak3 and joe sackey like this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    of2worlds likes this.
  7. Deemeyere Wim

Deemeyere Wim Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Wim Demeyere
  8. Ghibli Cup #11

Ghibli Cup #11 Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I'm always surprised when someone wants to debate MM about 288s. Tilting at windmills comes to mind. Thank you MM for all you and Joe S contribute here. I find it endlessly informative, educational, and entertaining.

of2worlds, tomc and joe sackey like this.
  9. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    #13235 275GTB, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    ok I am going to be really controversial here, (its midnight and i have had a beer) so forgive me, as it has bugged me for ages.

I have gone through the ranks - restored many cars, even documented a few on here, including my 275GTB restoration, which was one of the most viewed threads ever on FerrariChat - the full exposure. The problem is, it turned from a love into a total burdened, i found myself defending my restoration - fighting a war against far too many armchair experts that had never been near a Ferrari, let lone a vintage - wasting far to much time justifying paint finish on a 50 year old fuel pump etc etc. It almost drove me mad and off Fchat forever.

Anyway that's not my point - this section of FChat does my head in - pretty much zero contribution from real owners or hands on enthusiasts, when was the last time anyone documented some work on their cars? Very few of the owners bar a few ever work on their own cars - respect to those that do. This is the beauty of the 355, 360, 328 etc section of Fchat - its totally owner / enthusiast driven - but the cars are no different, just nuts and bolts. Any problem gets a massive response and support. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is what contribution is about, and the heart of this forum.

Sadly of recent, I have found this whole section dull, very little real owner contribution, almost zero fixes and problems solved - in fact no one ever asks anymore how to fix it, let alone the solution!!!! The reality is, most people that own don't know how to or would ever get their hands dirty trying, very few are on Fchat. If i have a problem with one of the Icons, sadly this is the last place i would find the solution.. Please note, I fully acknowledge the old school F40 Owners that got stuck in / broke it and fix it / restored it and LM convert it etc - barriers to entry and price have ended all that.

Fantastic for MM as every picture posted goes into his library and the contribution is gifted with the quotation of a chassis number, very little else unless you pay the fee for a full one page MM report. For JS this is a self promotional playground, good luck to him for making the most of an unchallenged pitch, by the way JS is a man i have total respect for, ever since trying to buy a Lamborghini Miura via a phone call from a Barbados beach hut 10 years ago (in the end, i never bought the car but my friend did) great guy, total respect.

Anyway not sure where this is now going, but let not get carried away on real contribution!

Hopefully soon I will be able to give you some real content, I have been looking after a private collection consisting of a 288 GTO, F40, F50 and an Enzo.

Its not been a restoration or rebuild process, but taking an amazing collection from great condition to near perfection - i have documented the entire journey and process, along with the wonderful owner, we hope to share every step with you soon!

no need to quote chassis numbers - i guarantee this will be a full exposure.

love to all xx

of2worlds, Acacg, Lemacc and 5 others like this.
  10. Deemeyere Wim

Sep 17, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Wim Demeyere
  11. Acacg

Acacg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2013
    Dallas Texas
  12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    These photos show four different 288's. Taken at different locations and dates (post #13236).
    Assuming your question refers to the pix of the damaged car, that was in May 2017 during the Cavalcade Classic in Tuscany, Italy.

Marcel Massini

13. Deemeyere Wim

Sep 17, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Wim Demeyere
    First and second picture like Massini say, number 58137.
    Third at the concours Zoute at Knokke Belgium in 2017 number 55555.
    Fourth at Macari Service at 2017, number 55233.
    Fith at Munsterhuis Ferrari dealer in Netherlands, number 54799.

14. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley

15. Acacg

Acacg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2013
    Dallas Texas
    The damaged car yes.
    Tks

of2worlds likes this.
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Shortly thereafter restored to as new under the auspices of Ferrari SpA

Acacg and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Here it is again, at this year's 288 GTO Anniversary Tour in Monaco. Owner is a well-known fchatter.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and joe sackey like this.
  18. Ak3

Ak3 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2005
    Svezia
    #13245 Ak3, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    I don't doubt your knowledge on this topic, I'm just pointing out the incorrect statment from the 288 GTO book.
    First they were "French Tourist plates", then they became "Dutch customs license plates", but they were in fact Swedish import/export plates.
    Still curious when and why these Swedish plates were put on that car :)

See above

19. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Then owned by Jason Yates, who went on to buy my 250 Lusso #5441 about the time this 288 picture was shot. I think the 288 is now reg B165FNO

of2worlds and joe sackey like this.
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010