Intro and high mile 456 question | FerrariChat

Intro and high mile 456 question

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by thphon, Oct 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thphon

thphon Rookie

Oct 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Arias
    Hi all,

I've been lurking this site for a long time but only created an account last week and this is my first post.
    I live in Orlando and I love both the 456/550. For some reason the restrained look works great for me, the 456 with popup headlights takes the cake. Several months ago I was surprised at prices of 456s so I started researching about them. Yesterday I finally sold my CL600 and I'm pretty sure my next car is going to be one of these beauties.
    I think I have a good idea about reliability, maintenance costs, alternative sources for parts and things like that. The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is the issue with the windows, but I'm sure it's because I don't quite understand it yet. I'm actually surprised at how much information is available in general, this site being one of the biggest sources.
    I'm interested only in a 6-speed 456, doesn't matter the year. My question is about the miles. I don't think this will be my daily driver, at least not at the beginning but I don't know what to expect in terms of costs once the car goes beyond 60k miles but I know for sure if I end up buying one will be for the long run.
    I understand that 550/575s are very similar in many respects and improvements in others, so I'd love to know from owners from all three cars what kind of things I have to look for when the car gets in that unknown territory (at least for me) after 60k miles. Moreover, is parts scarcity a concern here?

Thanks in advance,
    Leo

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont drive my 456M GTA much but one of my headlights needs a motor and thats been hard to find. i think engine and maintenance parts are no big deal but someone who drives their car alot should opine.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    These cars are now 20-25 years old and should have 50+ thousand miles for best longevity

Six figure mileages with regular maintenance are easily achievable without abnormal requirements and over the years there are many threads here evidencing this

4. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I would describe the 456GT as being a fairly needy car overall. Thankfully parts availability is seldom an issue, as very few of them are model-specific (in the latter case a call to the breakers can often produce the needed part).

I drive my 456GT 6-speed (now with almost 50,000 on the odometer) approximately 10,000 mi./year and even while keeping up with the maintenance the extra odd problem will surface here and there. Usually these aren't show stoppers but they will often have you scratch your head and just as often require the intervention of a professional mechanic (I can fix the easy stuff, but send the car to the shop for anything more involved). I am lucky to have a 1997 model with OBD-II, which makes the troubleshooting process much easier.

The windows issue isn't really an issue: clever positioning of the door gasket positioning along the B pillar coupled with the remedy available by third party providers for the window internal mechanism solves that problem to near perfection.

This said, the 456 is one of the last analog supercars and if that's your cup of tea then you'll find that the very little compares to the sheer pleasure of driving it. These engine are VERY understressed and higher mileage doesn't seem to phase them - at least that's the impression I get with my car. Again, keeping up with the maintenance being the key. The 2+2 seating arrangement is icing on the cake for me as I like to use the car for family outings. Kids will fit nicely in the back seat until they reach about 5'.5" - after which they'll start complaining a bit.

5. thphon

thphon Rookie

Oct 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Arias
    Would you say is more often mechanical or electric?

I was thinking of start I don't do anything myself but I have an independent mechanic I trust. A model year with OBD-II is a great point, it should have to be +94, right?

Is there a thread you can point me to?

I've never driven one but I'm sure it's exactly what I want because of what I like and other cars I've driven. I'm so confident that's the case that I'm not concerned with not driving one until I own it haha. That being said if I run into one in one of those shared driving apps I'll book it for sure.
    I'll definitely keep up with maintenance so this is reassuring, thanks!

6. thphon

thphon Rookie

Oct 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Arias
    You mean I should consider more buying a car with around 60k miles than one with 20k?

I haven't found them, I'll keep looking. If you happen to have or find one of those I'll appreciate it as well.
    Thanks!

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  8. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    I have my M now for 18 years and I can confirm that mileage is not a problem. But I did not find a reasonable solution for the weak windows mechanics. If you have more information on third party solutions I would appreciate.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Whats the issue the windows have?
    No one else has had the pop up headlight issue?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    The windows do not really close. The mechanics are weak. I have Tubi exhaust so I do not hear the wind. :)

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I need a tubi. How does it sound? Have u done a Bradan h pipe? Or maybe its a y pipe.

12. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    I am quite sure that the headlight mechanics are of the Fiat shelf as many other parts do.

13. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    It is the softest version. Just the silencers, so it does not really get annoying on long trips.

14. thphon

thphon Rookie

Oct 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Arias
    thanks for the link! The comment about a 175k miles one is encouraging, not so much the other one about spending a few $100k along the way haha, but I prefer not to focus on that. Besides, I don't know to what extent that's actually possible

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ha yeh i wish. Talk wide world 18 mos and we still haven’t found one!

16. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    What exactly are you looking for?

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Headlight motor for drivers side

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is a Volvo motor that is an exact replacement, but they are about as rare as 456s. Look at the interchange sticky and see if it is listed there.

OBDII was not executed in the 456 until CY 1996. In the US only MY 1997 and later 456s have OBDII, there were no MY 1996 456s.

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thanks taz - have tried that as well unfort

20. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    My M GTA has a Tubi set (otherwise stock). Originally, I wanted a very quiet and smooth GT. So initially, I didn’t like it. I thought it was too loud. But over the past 2+ years, I’ve grown to love the sound. Just loud enough with an intoxicating rumble and burble on liftoff, but not so loud as to be intrusive. Get a set, you won’t be sorry.

21. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Leo,

Mine’s pushing 30K and running strong. In fact, the more miles, the better she seems to run. And since I did a major w/ belts on purchase, it’s been very reliable.

22. thphon

thphon Rookie

Oct 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Arias
    Oh thanks for confirming that!

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thanks good to hear - on my to do list!
    How much does a major cost on a 456m?

24. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Mine was $8700. That included belts & tensioners, motor mounts, and all trans filters. The car had also sat for several years with no service.

25. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Any use to ask these folk ? eBay item number: 283641138697 or these eBay item number: 183987114596 - or Eurospares perhaps