Fiat Multipla 1958 - restoration | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Fiat Multipla 1958 - restoration

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by 330 4HL, Dec 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    so, we now have a car that runs at proper temps in all situations!
    solution as outlined earlier, included sealing the area around the motor to avoid heated air from re-entering the engine compartment and a thermostatically controlled electric fan.
    this solved the cooling issue but we then faced the issue that the generator was unable to keep up with the draw of the electric fan at idle; enter a new alternator and attendant bracketry! we have since installed a temp gauge (photo) under the dash to monitor the performance of the upgrades, fan kicks in at 165 and holds temp to 185.
    temp gauge & thermostatic control for the fan have generated the brass "Christmas tree" you can see in the 1st photo!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

energy88 and G. Pepper like this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    That has to be the smallest instrument cluster ever put in a car. Something like 4" X 8" ?

330 4HL likes this.
  3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Mine measures about 4" tall by 7 1/4" wide. Same unit on the 600 Sedan and the Multipla.

Rick has done a really nice job on his car!

330 4HL likes this.
  4. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    controls are pretty minimal as well with two stalks for lights and signals, two toggles for fan and wipers, and two levers between the seats for choke and starter behind the shifter!

energy88 and G. Pepper like this.
  5. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    thanks Jeff, I was somewhat surprised when I closed the doors on the Multipla last week and recognized the sound of the front doors of my VW Splitie.
    Now this is not a car I'd want to have an accident in, but the doors at least sound encouragingly solid...

6. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    drove the car a few days ago with the intent to stop at a scenic point to shoot some photos in preparation for an auction listing.
    I managed to get about a half dozen pics before the following happened...

7. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    So, what's our Top speed?

According to factory literature the 600 Multipla will reach 50mph @ 4100 rpm with max torque @4600 and an unrestricted top speed is 61mph in top gear.

If we assume that the 903 engine has a rev limit of at least 6000, this should give a mathematical top speed of near 75 if 4100 results in 50mph and if there's enough torque to overcome the fairly challenging CX.

I have attached a side by side page with the HP & torque for the 1958 600 Multipla and for the 1975 Fiat 127 which is probably a close approximation to our 903 motor.
    44hp instead of 19hp and 50% more torque -

8. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    The way the people in the photo are viewing it, you would have thought a UFO dropped the car in the lot fresh out of a time machine!

330 4HL likes this.
  9. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    the Multipla arrived from Victoria this past weekend after an extended period of testing over the last two months with long drives, August heat, and long sustained climbs to assure there are no cooling or electrical issues with the larger engine.
    compression test on Friday of last week with the engine warm: #1 – 180, #2 – 178, #3 – 181, #4 – 182

we have definitely decided to sell , but at the moment we are currently just enjoying the time with a completed project and waiting on some clear weather to do some decent photos!

included with sale wil be two rebuildable 633cc engines, a second transmission, and a variety of other parts and literature (official Fiat shop manual, Autopress manual, plus photocopied 160pg Abarth book. We have not decided yet whether to list on BaT or just advertise it in Hemmings and a couple of overseas periodicals with a fixed price.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Lovely restoration. Good luck with the sale!

11. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner

thanks!
    It's a blast to drive and you can't be shy about crowds.

Attached Files:

12. Paul Casarona

Paul Casarona Rookie

Feb 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Paul Casarona
    Hi All,
    I started the Fiat Multipla Registry as a way for Multipla owners to get in touch with one another and share information. I knew about Steve P's registry which has been around a lot longer than mine and, accordingly has many more cars and owner's registered to date. Unfortunately, Steve is opposed to sharing his registry with anyone, including members. I know because my car is on his registry and I have no access to the registry. Steve informed me that many members do not want their information shared, which I can respect. On my registry I only share the contact information that members give express permission to me to share. I hope you will visit the site, register your car, and contribute any information you choose. There is no cost associated with the site (I pay all site and domain fees out of my pocket) or to register your car.

Happy motoring,

Paul Casarona
    https://www.fiatmultiplaregistry.com/
    [email protected]

13. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Hi Paul -
    I am already on the registry as [email protected] (vancouver)
    My only complaint (?) is that there is no way to add photos to the gallery, at least not that I can see.
    I have a couple of hundred...LOL

P.S. my car is eight years older than you...

14. Paul Casarona

Paul Casarona Rookie

Feb 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Paul Casarona
    Hi Rick,
    Thanks again for registering. Yeah, I'm not sure how to allow folks to upload directly to the site, but you can always send me anything you want to see on the site and I will uploaded it for you.

Paul

15. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Say Paul,
    for starter, you can post anything from this page that you think is interesting.
    any other things that you might want I can try to find in my vaaasst archive...

and yes, it was red & blue...hand painted of course!

Attached Files:

16. Paul Casarona

Paul Casarona Rookie

Feb 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Paul Casarona
    Rick,
    I think it would be very cool to document a Multipla Restoration on the Blog section of the site. It could be done in installments as work progresses. I just got a message from a very nice guy in FL that is doing a rotisserie restoration on his and he is only 40 min.s away from our place on the Gulf. I may talk with him about this idea as well.

Paul