The Madness of Jeep's Gladiator Marketing.... | FerrariChat

The Madness of Jeep's Gladiator Marketing....

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Oct 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    What?

A Wrangler with its doors off is offensive?

:eek:

Matt

GuyIncognito likes this.
  2. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    your post in the jeep thread on Monday wasn't enough so there had to be another one started? So two posts to scold jeep for showing the doors can be taken off for off-road?

don't buy one.

don't follow us to the beach as you won't like it.

(we may even ride a motorcycle at some point. GASP).

edit: did mods split this off?

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Apparently,yes.

But this thread has a link to the auto journalist who made the same complaint, but a little more originally. It’s who I quoted above.
    Nope.

Matt

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The vid shows a Jeep off road with doors off....? Ok.

5. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    It's those gosh darn outside hinges. So the doors keep getting stolen! :p:D:(

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    author knows as much about AR15s as he does about Jeeps.

maybe he should drive his Nissan Leaf to Starbucks....

Smiles likes this.
  7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Was that Jeep Trail Rated?:rolleyes:

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    "No these are not scenes from a Baja 1000 race, with professional drivers with safety equipment. These images are meant to depict regular consumers having fun with their Jeep." I say awsome, if you want a safety bagged car buy it, if you cant find somewhere offroad in arrowhead of whatever thats your problem.

maybe we shoudlnt have boats because you can fall off and drown. We definitely whouldnt have motorcycles because you can fall off get hit, and no atvs.

part of my issue with the whole article and author is they get lost its not a NHTSA issue, is the ad is off road. Its like jalopnik, a pc auto journalist who hates cars and capitalism.

Of more concern is that the gladiator is not selling well, thats why theyre advertising it, every dealer has a few and a few more. Its too expensive, a money grab,and the bed is too shallow and short to be useful as any type of pickup I use.

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I thought they were selling well, as I see 5 or 6 a day.

So I looked up my local dealer's website....they have 50 in stock. FIFTY!

yikes.

10. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Drive mine without the doors all the time around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuyIncognito likes this.
  11. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Once I saw the phrase "shooting semi-automatically" I knew this was a troll article

GuyIncognito likes this.
  12. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    I see Jeeps without doors all the time. Been that way for decades. I also drove military Humvees in N. Carolina and Panama on public roads with no doors. The only time doors were put on was for cold or rainy weather.

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yep.

14. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Before the commercial came out I was amazed to see a four door Gladiator parked at a shopping Center I go to, many miles from the nearest off road trail. So people are driving them in traffic. I think you can do whatever you want to your Jeep off road but going back 100 years, there's a reason cars have doors, so passengers won't fall out. Also in a t-bone collission where you in the doorless Jeep are being hit, I imagine just before that car hits you, you will wish you had some metal between you and the attacking car rather than just air. Let's own up to the fact the commercial (daringly photographed) is selling macho big-time, making potential buyers think they are getting a golden key to the great outdoors by buying such an adventurous vehicle. All the compamies selling vehicles with off road capability are doing this to some extent, even Rolls Royce and Bentley. But they are not saying "Oh, take the doors off and get real excitement."
    And another nagging throught is, tell me those transporting family in a regular car including small kids , haven't had a kid undo a seat belt surrepticiously. If that happens in a four door Gladiator by the time you find out someone's unbelted during a hard turn, they will be flying out the door screaming....

15. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    A gladiator isn’t any different than a wrangler in that aspect. Just more money and a bed.
    Jeep has managed to keep the doors removable since the start. Actually, they didn’t even come with doors. And then they were options. Like the top and roll bar...
    I don’t see a Jeep with the doors off any more dangerous than a convertible. And at the end of the day, it’s a choice. Don’t like it. Don’t make it.

Boomhauer and GuyIncognito like this.
  16. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I'm on my third Wrangler--never taken my doors off. Having said that have driven roads where a slight error would have lead to big time death. I could list the gnarly off-road trails I've done (with thousand foot plus drops), but I'm talking about every two lane 55 mph+ undivided highway I've driven on. In my neck of the woods there are head on fatality crashes often. Distracted driving, sleepy driving, medical issues--stuff happens. Someone playing in the dunes with the doors off--not a thing. Especially considering the "family" Jeep showed were all adults. I support the right to make choices. If you are in full risk mitigation mode you would never drive, and if you did you would certainly not drive certain roads.

17. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    bitzman clearly is not a Jeep person. I've had many Wranglers, and still have a 4 door one. Nothing better than having to the top and doors off on a nice summer day. And with a Gladiator or Wrangler Unlimited, it is possible to take the front doors off for the adults, and leave the back doors on if there are small children in the vehicle. I would guess that's been how I've done it 90% of the time over the last ten years.
    But, regarding the article, this is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time. (and that's saying something these days!) It's like the author has never seen a Wrangler before. Is there really anyone that didn't know Jeeps doors come off?

Gregc57 likes this.
  18. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    I ordered a Gladiator this week. This summer I will be taking the top and doors off and take my kids on trails and roads around Lake Tahoe. Don't tell bitzman lest he call CPS on me.

anunakki likes this.
  19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hard to comment without being political. Lets just say i can only shake my head at anyone who thinks this is reckless.

20. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    You can fold down the windshield too! Ohhh the danger of it all!

Boomhauer and Statler like this.
  21. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    lol. This guy got blindsided. Posting this on an automotive enthusiast forum is questionable though. Prius forum maybe. Actually I bet a doorless Jeep is safer than a Prius.

22. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
  23. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay