My Route 66 adventure: | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My Route 66 adventure:

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Gatorrari, Sep 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    For the record, here is the average of what I paid for regular gas in each state. Not all 16 states appear since I did not have to fill up in some of them. Oddly, the octane ratings in a couple of states - I don't remember which ones - were lower than the rest; instead of the usual 87/89/93, they were 86/88/91. But the car didn't seem to mind. I got most of the gas at Shell or Chevron but Conoco and even Circle-K were in the mix.

IN - $2.25
    WI - $2.50
    IL - $2.55
    MO - $2.17
    OK - $2.30
    TX - $2.62
    NM - $2.85
    AZ - $2.91
    CA - $3.75
    LA - $2.30
    AL - $2.36

So, to answer the inevitable question: did I get my kicks on Route 66? Absolutely! And I've already found enough other things to do along the way to merit another trip sometime in the future. Hopefully the nostalgia movement will get more of the shuttered businesses along the Route to reopen.

And there's no reason why, given enough time, the same can't be done on other older highways. Take US-41, which is the "old road" through my hometown of Marietta, GA. During this trip, I actually found myself on sections of US-41 in Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin! So maybe next time I go to Chicago, I take 41 all the way. Why not?

Jdubbya and 71Satisfaction like this.
  2. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    With my wife, we have 11 trips to the USA behind us. We have seen many fantastic places and recognized some of them in your photos. This year we drove 3900 miles (San Francisco to Portland, Yellowstone, SF). What a country ! I'll read all your posts. Thank you for sharing !

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Excellent thread. Thanks for sharing your adventure!

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I just calculated that my average motel stay during the 6 nights on Route 66 was just short of $80. 5 of the 6 were "traditional" independent motels that were the usual lodgings before the advent of chains in the '50s. The one that wasn't was a Holiday Inn Express, and it was the most expensive at $100.

For the entire trip, which included getting to and from Route 66, the average for all 14 nights was $83.50. I actually stayed in some chains that I hadn't stayed at in years: Howard Johnson, Super 8, Motel 6 and Rodeway Inn. I would say that all the lodgings that I stayed in were comfortable, well run and fairly priced. (Now, if only Wyndham would sell the HoJo food recipes to an active restaurant chain. I miss the Tendersweet fried clams!)

5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Awesome trip, awesome thread, thanks for sharing.

(I can't believe the mules/donkey's weren't standing all over the place (and pooping all over the place) in Oatman. There were swarms of them each time I was there, one had to maneuver around them to drive and park. )

While I haven't done much of Route 66, I cannot imagine there is a piece better than the Kingman to Oatman stretch.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It's certainly the most exciting. Those hairpin turns going over the pass certainly demand your attention. And Oatman is so unique - take away the cars and suddenly it's 1880!

arizonaitalian likes this.
  7. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I remember going into the Sinclair station as a kid and putting a quarter into the dinosaur machine and getting a hot plastic dino to keep. Have never seen one of those machines for sale.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I found this delightful video on New Mexico's website. While it's specifically about the iconic Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari, the conversations with the innkeeper and one of the guests point out why Route 66 is such a special road. They're right: the people you meet along the way are part of the enjoyment. I particularly enjoyed speaking with the foreign nationals I encountered. As I said at the beginning of all of this: Route 66 is a trip that everyone should take at least once in their lifetime.

Anthony James likes this.
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If you want to see what Route 66 was like in its heyday, these books from Arcadia Publishing are a good place to start. They show dozens of images of motels, eateries, gas stations and attractions, some of which still exist, some which don't. Each book covers its state from east to west, and in urban areas the captions include addresses, so you can plug those addresses into Google Maps and see what's there now.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction likes this.
  10. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

What a great read! Fun pictures. Thanks for sharing. I’ve never been on Rt 66 so hopefully on one of our trips out west we can do a detour. Sad to see the decline in neon - everywhere. It’s becoming a lost art. I have a few neon pieces and the light is amazing.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    US-41 is the main north-south route through my home town of Marietta, GA. Having been bypassed by the parallel I-75, it only gets real busy when I-75 gets jammed up during rush hour. There are still a couple of traditional mom-&-pop style motels, but even though they look fine, they don't appear in any travel guides, because they cater to a different clientele - when you see signs like "hourly rates" and "truckers' rates", you know to go elsewhere. It's a shame, because at one time, they would have been the places to stay in Marietta. (The nicest-looking one of those when I arrived here in 1996 was subsequently razed and replaced by a car dealership!)

During my drive north to reach Route 66, I encountered US-41 twice - crossing the Ohio River into Evansville, and on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago just before reaching the start of 66. I think the next time I drive to Chicago, maybe I'll take US-41 the whole way!

12. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    have you been to the neon museum in vegas? If you appreciate neon and and "that era", check it out. (don't go when its super hot out because its an outside tour).

NbyNW likes this.
  13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Next time I'm in Vegas.....

NbyNW and arizonaitalian like this.
  14. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I really enjoyed the read, Jim... and of course I have to add a picture:

Attached Files:

71Satisfaction likes this.
  15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    But of course! If you're in Winslow, you just HAVE to stand on the corner!:D

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It turns out that such a book does exist. It's a bit dull in a way because all it shows is photos of bridges, with very little of the background shown for context. Fortunately there are some maps to show where on the Route these bridges are.

https://www.amazon.com/Route-66-Crossings-Historic-Bridges/dp/0806151994/

17. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Really nice post!

18. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks for sharing the adventure! Really awesome to read about this through someone's personal eyes.. So Route 41 is one of the many cross-country roads before the Interstates - and it runs from the Caribbean to Canada.. very cool. I've been aware of some of the US Routes, but hadn't really considered what the 'system' looked like back then.. wikipedia has some good info..

Here is a nice map of US Route 41..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_41#/media/File:US_41_map.png

So yeah, it's interesting to what learn we had before the Interstates. In our area, we have US Route 20 going right past our neighborhood. Turns out it starts at the Atlantic in Boston, MA and runs east/west clear across to, of all places, the small Pacific town of Newport, Oregon.! It runs via Albany, to Toledo, Chicago, Sioux City, Casper, Yellowstone, Idaho Falls, Boise and Bend before it reaches the coast - so few major cities, but like US-41 or 66, I bet it offers lots of "off the beaten path" places that must still be full of local authenticity... We travel on US 20 frequently just around here, so it feels like I someday might go out for milk and suddenly decide to just keep heading west! That would be an interesting phone call to have with my wife.. LOL.

wikipedia map: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_20#/media/File:US_20_map.png

Cheers! - Art

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The US highways ending in "0" were intended to be the major coast-to-coast routes, but some of them, like 90, never made it all the way across, and others, like 10, 40 and 70, were truncated as the Interstates were built, though, unlike 66, none of them ever disappeared completely. Some of those sections became state roads, like WA-10 in the area of Cle Elum, WA, and CA-60, the Pomona Freeway.

I believe that your US-20 and US-30 are the only ones that still really go coast-to-coast; you mentioned 20 going from Boston to Newport; today 30 goes from Atlantic City, NJ to Astoria, OR.

Similarly, the routes ending in "1" were intended to be the major border-to-border routes, and some still do, like US-1 (Fort Kent, ME to Key West, FL). The one which has been truncated the most is US-91, which now exists only as a small section near Logan, UT; in southern CA it survives as a state route, CA-91, the Riverside/Artesia/Huntington Beach Freeway. The last of these, US-101, used to run down to the border but now ends in downtown L.A.; I-5 occupies the route from there south.

There were some oddities: US-6 was actually the longest in the system, going from Cape Cod to the southern CA area, though it has now been cut back to Bishop in California's eastern Sierra. And US-99 also went border-to-border, but has now been downgraded to state routes in all three Pacific states.

Outside of 101, three-digit routes were spurs off of one- or two-digit routes; the most notorious of these was the dreaded US-666; after a number of years that was changed, and most of it is now US-491.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    what else is there to do there?

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What about I10 and I5? 10 goes from Santa Monica to Jacksonville, 10 miles from the water. A distinction without a difference in my mind and 5 goes from San Yisidro to the border crossing at Blaine.

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I was talking about the US highway system (created 1926), not the Interstate highway system (created 1956). The Interstates used a similar numbering system, except that the longest north-south routes end in 5 rather than in 1.

23. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Awesome thread, thanks for sharing.

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    G. Pepper likes this.
  25. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That was good. Route 66 is on my bucket list, but I have no idea what kind of vehicle to take. My Ferrari/BMW bike combo wouldn't be ideal. Should be something American. A resto-mod pickup maybe. Should be comfy and capable.