Mondials For Sale | Page 85 | FerrariChat

Mondials For Sale

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 123howie, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Yeesh. Look closely at those photos. Tail lights out of alignment, and that's not "dust"; that's water damage. Take it from someone who lives in Houston, who has seen many floods, and who has seen many flood-damaged cars.

alexion and Drewbdo like this.
  2. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I noticed the tail lamps as well and wondered about that. If only the poor thing could talk!

Drewbdo likes this.
  3. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thank you! It was fun. I primarily DJ corporate events and weddings, but this was a Quinceañera. Very sweet family and one of the most international groups I've worked with. Dad's family from all over central Europe, mom is Hispanic from ATL, random relatives from Puerto Rico, Miami, NE USA, etc.

Music was all over the place, literally. I played American Top 40, some old salsa, Sinatra, a few songs by groups from PR, some bachata, some merengue, some "American-ized" Latin Top 40, made some live mashups with jazz and hip-hop acapellas, even a couple of Bosnian tracks for an uncle. [​IMG]

4. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I was wondering why they were both up. I have SO much to learn about these cars!

5. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Ouch... If timing belt / interference engine event is the cause, I imagine an EXPENSIVE repair. :eek: :eek:

6. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Where can I find the Mondial price graph? Do I need to have an account on BaT to see it?

7. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Can the tail light alignment issue be caused by flooding?

Growing up in Houston, I saw flood damaged cars myself (though not nearly as many as you, since I'm not in the auto business ;)). In my admittedly very inexperienced view, this didn't look like the typical flood car to me, unless it was low water level / partial flood.

Of course, I could be totally wrong... might not be the first time. :p

I plan to visit again this week, and if possible, get more photos... the lady in the office said the car was not available for people to look at until the title arrives from the state. So, I'm not sure if the workers will allow me access to the building again.

The building where the car is currently stored is an old cinder-block barn, with a "tin roof.... rusted...." (Love Shack, B-52's) ... I'm a DJ. Random song lyrics are a work-related hazard. o_O

Anyway, the building is open, and the Copart lot is crushed granite rock. EVERYTHING is coated with that dust. I don't think that roof was insulated; any rain or condensation could drip on the car and leave spots in the dust.

When I walked out, my shoes looked like that poor car... coated in white dust. When I got back to my car, my nose started running ... white dust. "Honest officer, I was at the Copart lot!" :eek:

Here's a little money, now do it just the way we planned
    You be cool for twenty hours, and I'll pay you twenty grand
    I'm sorry it went down like this, but someone had to lose
    It's the nature of the business, it's the smuggler's blues

Apologies to Eric Clapton. See what I mean? ... "random lyrics" again. :rolleyes:

I really wish this had been posted to VINWiki by previous owners. When I get my Mondi, I plan to add however much history I can find, and of course, document my ownership.

8. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Admittedly, I've seen VERY few flooded cars over the years. However, looking at the pictures that were posted on Copart and then comparing to the pics that Drew provided last week, it appears that the car had been clean(er) and is now covered in the dust from the storage facility. So, I don't believe that the coating on it is from floodwaters.

Of course, that doesn't mean that it WASN'T flooded. Would you mind sharing details about the tail lights? Again, I'm not familiar with flood vehicles, but is there a reason that water incursion would cause the taillights to be misaligned the way that they are on this car?

2cam

9. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Drewbdo likes this.
  10. dimibo

dimibo Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    the Netherlands, EU
    Full Name:
    Dion Bosch
    mine is still for sale, based in EU, enquiries via PM please

11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    You mean apologies to Glen Frey.

Cadillacbart and Drewbdo like this.
  12. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Holy mackerel... Apologies to Glenn Frey for thinking Clapton sang Smuggler's Blues.

The "white dust" I mentioned at the Copart lot made me think of cocaine (jokingly) and smugglers, two of the main themes in Miami Vice, which made me think of Eric Clapton's "Cocaine", and Glenn Frey's "Smuggler's Blues", two songs of that era. I accidentally attributed Frey's song to Clapton.

Maybe I need to turn in my DJ card for the rest of the day. :oops:

As an aside, I originally discovered Ferrari due to Miami Vice, which was on TV when I was a teenager.

Maybe I'm getting forgetful in my old age. ;):D

13. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Hang on to that d.j. card I got a big kick out of you quoting the quote! I throw out music quotes sometimes people pick up on it and a lot of times they just look at me like I'm nuts LOL!

Drewbdo likes this.
  14. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Sorry that I wasn't clear. No, the mis-aligned tail lights wouldn't have anything to do with it being a flooded car. I just noticed that, which is weird.

The white "dust" on the car looked to me like dried hard water. Very similar to what we've seen down here after a flood. But, if you guys are saying it's granite dust from the lot, then you are probably right. And, I would think that Copart would have to disclose that it was a flooded car.

I'd love to know the story of what happened.

15. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Maybe when Drew is able to get to check out the interior of the car he can tell better if it was in a flood or not.

16. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John

Looks like the car is still looking for it’s permanent home:

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/ctd/d/colorado-springs-1982-ferrari-mondial-8/6987921265.html

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2117 Wade, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    I'm always baffled about dealers who won't sell to enthusiasts for fair prices but, instead, will sell to another dealer for "wholesale".

Example here, BHCC in CA was selling this car for $22,750. Now it's at another dealer in CO and listed at $24,995. Include shipping from place to another there's little profit from $2,245.

18. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
  19. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
  20. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    It's got the GT Corsa/Frohock center vent. Nice piece to have.

But I still think it's a flood car, and now with these new photos, it was totally submerged. :(

Or was it buried in ash from a volcanic eruption? ;)

21. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    #2122 Drewbdo, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    SO MIFFED... Typed up a nice review to add to the car, but got busy with something else. When I tried to post it, got the "past 20 minute limit to edit", so the review didn't post. :mad:

Saw the car Friday 10/11/19 at lunch. The car is now listed for auction sale on Thursday 10/17/19.

My impressions as a newbie... Literally. This is the only Mondial I have ever seen, and I'm not a dealer, so I haven't inspected many cars.

Doesn't appear to be flood car... no mildew / wet dog smell, no sign of water marks, no oily residue in floor pan, trays, etc. "Volcanic ash" is from the granite stone "crusher run" used to cover the entire Copart lot... every square foot of the property is covered in this rock. As the several large "fork lift front end loaders" run around moving vehicles, they stir up huge clouds of dust, blanketing every inch of cars. Until yesterday, we hadn't gotten any rain in months (we're in drought conditions), so the dust blanket is pervasive.

No power... battery dead, disconnected, missing? The Copart guy said they were unable to start the car, but I was welcome to use their jump box if I wanted to try. However, I don't know where the battery is, and didn't want to risk damage to the car by connecting it wrong, or trying to start if there is an engine problem.

I found the manual release cables for the rear trunk, engine lid, and fuel door, but didn't find one for the front trunk. I didn't have time to research on my phone.

Exterior - Car has been "washed", sort of... less dust since my first visit, but still in body line gaps, engine compartment, etc. Body lines and gaps appear good to my untrained eyes. Minor damage to driver side rear bumper, as shown in photo. A couple of "wavy" reflections in the front bumper... paint looks undamaged, just "wavy", and just on the front bumper... paint on body panels looks fine (again, to my untrained eyes). Damage to driver side undercarriage, as shown. No lift available, and I was in business casual, so I wasn't going to get on the dirty shop floor. o_O

Rear lights appear out of line, as noted in a prior comment; no broken plastic though. Front lights, side markers, and F-badging all appear correct and undamaged. Side air intake fins damaged as shown. Convertible top exterior condition unknown, aside from rear buttresses as shown in photos. Due to the dusty conditions, I didn't want to remove the white covering protecting the roof and rear windows.

Interior - Clean. Leather is clean, soft, no visible rips or torn stitching. Front seats have some "wiggle", back and forth, but appear to operate correctly. Parking brake didn't seem to have any resistance; not sure if that is "normal". No visible tears in convertible roof, interior; latches present, but not latched. Rear trunk smells fine, and carpet feels "normal", dry, and clean. Front floor mats missing.

Console appears normal, no water in gauges. No sign of mold on dash. Glass appears original, no major scratches or stars that I noticed. Rear windows are down, but no power to test operation. Console clean, no sign of flood water in trays. Radio control face plate missing. Gated shifter appears to work; again, did not start. Pedals appear normal, though fuel pedal didn't have a rubber cover... not sure if missing or that way from factory.

I have more photos, but I don't want to blow up the thread. If people want to see them, I will post.

rob likes this.
  22. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Show us the pics!!!

This is getting more and more interesting...Without flood or structural damage, I can't think of a good reason why it's there.

23. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Good to know about the dust.

The front hood pull handle is under the dash, on the very left side.

The battery is under the front hood on the right side, in front of the wheel.

24. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia