the 512bbi still gets looks too ;) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

the 512bbi still gets looks too ;)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ross, Oct 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Problem is that North American drivers (generally speaking) don't know how to drive. They know how to point and go. No turn signals, come to a round-about and they just push through it, without looking. Yes, there are very educated drivers, such as this group :D but as I said, in general no knowledge.

So I can sense your frustration. I felt safer on the Autobahn at 130 - 140 kph in Europe than in 80 - 100 kph in Canada.

Even when everthing is working, you need to drive extra-defensive.

turbo-joe likes this.
  2. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Ross, since you just brought your BBi here, let’s take mine and yours out together, but got to fix my A/C clutch first, which finally went out went I noticed the smoke coming from the engine compartment (got scare at first). Can’t believe it but I just replaced the A/C compressor a couple years ago and now it is the A/C clutch. Definitely can’t take out the BBi without the A/C in this Houston heat.

3. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    My AC is non functional currently so prefer to go out at sunrise on Sundays. Other then that Houston traffic inside the loop is a horror in the BB.

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am trying to fix all the little stuff as it comes up.
    the ac on the bb works so far....we will see how it holds up to being in constant use, vs no use at all for the previous 10 years of ownership.

would be happy to put together a BB only drive one weekend though - that would be quite the parade!

i was at the big cars and coffee at memorial yesterday. huge crowds as usual, and i was unfortunately parked right behind the yellow LaF so i had droves of people milling around my car. but it survived. i was not really trying too hard but i reckon only about 5% of the people there knew what they were looking at.
    Michael was there with his 365, and altho we were not next to each other, we were parked close enough to make comparisons which was useful.

i will probably take the bb to the classics and coffee at Mashburns when it happens. and this is one of the cars i have entered in this year's Ferrari festival - hopefully by that time i will have put all the little stuff right.

5. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

You are giving people too much credit when you say that they don't know how to drive. I believe its more that people just don't care. They are more concerned with texting, being on social media and talking than driving. They drive in what ever lane that they like at whatever speed that they like with no concern about the impact that they are making to those around them. Its actually very dangerous. In most of Europe, when a faster car is coming from behind, the person in front instantly moves over to allow the faster car through. In the US, no way.

turbo-joe and Gary Sandberg like this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    about 15 years and more ago you are right, but today ? ? ? only a very few doing this now :(

what abou tin the US: is it aloowed to pass a slower car on the freeway when he not goes to the right that you may pass him on the right side? in germany strict forbidden :( we have here the lwa of driving always on the right side when possible. but I always say if someone passes a slower car on the right side this then slower driver also would have time to go tot he right side and not block the left center or left lane.

it makes no fun anymore driving :(

that is why when I go with my BB best on sunday morning ( 4 am until 9 am ), but be carefull to the motorbike then :)

7. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I just returned from a trip to italy, it seems like the Audi’s rule the road there. Drove from Venice to Maranello and then to Milan and the traffic flow was superb. Everyone got over for the faster cars coming up from behind in the fast lane, without hesitation. My experience in Germany was similar, maybe things have changed.

8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yep drivers here in the US are mostly a nightmare. I live in NYC(Brooklyn) and store and drive my cars mostly in Long Island and occasionally in Connecticut and Westchester.

I have more issues with idiots who have to prove their pickup truck, BMW X M-edition, Subaru WRX or any Dodge product is faster than my Boxer. Some are, some are not, but it really amazes me as to how immature they will act and I'm a classic 15 Y/O mentally. But it has not stopped me from putting on over 10K miles in the last 5 years. They are just that much fun.

My horn works great and I'm not bashful about using it.

9. BBSam

BBSam Rookie

Nov 25, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Full Name:
    Sam Saucedo
    I share your pain, I’ve owned my bb for 11 years, all here in Houston. Always best to stay away from the galleria, upper Kirby and other high traffic areas even remotely close to peak rush hours. Re: the heat, most of my miles are put on Nov thru march. With temps changing this week, time to drive again!

10. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    that appears to me mine, at Crystal Cove in Corona del Mar!

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    It's a beauty. Are the Michelin TRX tyres hard to get or not made any more, hence the different wheels/tyres on a number of BB512is I've seen pictured?

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    You can get TRX tires, theyre just crap, they were crap back then too, they're a tire for a 6 series BMW from the 70's. Changing the wheels allows for non metric tires and a range of options which transform the car both in terms of ride and handling.

wlanast likes this.
  13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I see. Thanks. Somebody posted his BB512i on FB a few days ago with BB512 wheels. To run a BB512i on BB512 wheels and XWXs, would any suspension settings and/or components need to be changed?

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    They did use different bushings at the time, most are redone now anyways. Probably need different alignment specs.
    The 512 wheels are a good option because today you can get pretty sticky tires from Avon on that size. The sticky tires wont last too long, but then most of these cars are not doing more than 5k miles in 5 years so its pretty moot.

From driving Newmans 512 I can say the 215 front tires give way way way better steering feeling than the stock BBi 240s.
    Ideal setup is probably a 215 or 225 front and a 275 rear, theres plenty of space for a 275 rear and this will limit thta snap oversteer, as will the stiffer sidewalls of more modern rubber. But you may need a Newman diff carrier.

I think the Bb series cars were not as fully developed as could be, a Tr is really a more developed BB the two having the same basic layout and chassis.
    A BB is far more raw and viceral than a Tr though, fixing the tire problem/limitation is the best single upgrade you can do on a BB.

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Great. Thank you again. Boxers are just so beautiful. They are among my favourite cars of all time. The TRs imo were a big step backwards.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Trs were designed to work in USA, so the radiators had to be moved to the sides so Ac could work, then there were also crash testing issues. Stylisticaly a TR is a mismash and hard on the eye, but today they look inspired simply because they are so evocative of an era, and pininfarina did a lot with what they had, theres lots of sublty in the details when you see one up close in the flesh. Still its no BB just as a 348 is no 308.

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, all valid points and the TR looks a lot better in the flesh, and does have amazing presence. Not at all photogenic though, especially the rear square side window. I am actually a TR fan, but a much bigger Boxer fan.

turbo-joe likes this.
  18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I also found the throttle response on the BB to be better than a Tr, 2 valve heads and much lighter weight help here. But as Ross says, in modern traffic a BB can be alittle unerving. A BB is also a car that dosent get in its grrove or talk to you till its grabbed by the scruff of the neck and wrung out. At slower speeds and lower revs its a bit of a pain. On the right day and right road though, its simply sublime.,

willrace and turbo-joe like this.
  19. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Boxers were a sensation when they came out and are still sensational today. An absolute dream car.

John B, turbo-joe and boxerman like this.
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    They were also considered big cars in the day. Compared to moderns theyre tiny.

pcht5, turbo-joe and miurasv like this.
  21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Big, sophisticated and powerful. "Berlinetta Boxer" - What a fabulous name too! The most beautiful car in the world I would say.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think the miura is the most timlesly beautiful, but yes the boxer is a close second. I always think of it this way. For less than 10% of what a 288 costs you get an arguaby more beautiful car, and with a wheel tire upgrade the handling is there. Or we might say that the boxer is like a daytona that handles.

If ever its time to rebuild the motor, even a BBI can go with high lift cams and modern pistons, youre then at 288 or more power levels while keeping the stock injection and look. Interesting that when measured the comp ratio on a 512 BB or BBI is not even 9 to 1, so there lots to be gained these days.

Back in the day it was said that the boxer didnt know whether to be luxury or hard core so fell between two stools, today you ca get them to handle great, and yes go much faster all while looking totaly stock(except for tires). But like many a great older ferrari they require comitment, maybe a bit more than others when behind the wheel.

23. Bknblk

Bknblk Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Josh Toby
  24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    We have the same taste. Miura SV and the Boxer are the two most beautiful and the Dino 206/246 the prettiest cars ever.

mexicruiser likes this.
  25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Bknblk likes this.