Dealer is helping me pay for my new Evoflow Cats after 2 years! | FerrariChat

Dealer is helping me pay for my new Evoflow Cats after 2 years!

Discussion in '360/430' started by RedNeck, Oct 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Figured I would start a new thread to show the install/review since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on the Evoflow cats yet. I made the discovery last week that the car that I've owned for 2 years had resonated straight pipes rather than catalytic converters, and the CEL's I have been chasing for just as long may be related. Original threads here:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/p0152-p0132-codes-even-after-replacing-lot-of-parts-getting-frustrated.582377/
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-cats-are-not-cats-they-are-resonators.585664/

After making the discovery, I went cat shopping and found these: http://www.evoflow.com/fer_360.html . $1700 MSRP, 200 Cell, no (cat-related) CEL, as opposed to Capristo or Fabspeed that want twice as much or more for their 200 Cell cats. Long story short, after some good advice from @dm_n_stuff , I emailed the dealer that I bought the car from and after a few back and forth emails (where I laid out all the issues I had with the car upon delivery that were supposedly fixed and the many thousands I have spent on the car), they agreed to pay for half of my new cats if I shipped them back the resonators. Good deal IMO since the resonators are most likely worth a few hundred bucks at most.

My new cats will be delivered on Friday, but I've already pulled the old exhaust/cats. I'm replacing the exhaust mounting bracket (bargain basement find at @Ricambi America ) because mine had been welded together, I also spent about $70 getting all stainless steel hardware and exhaust clamps since the original crap was all rusty/stretched/bent. Of course replacing gaskets and spacers also..

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here are the original cats-no core, just resonators, like a Cherry Bomb glasspack.

cpep likes this.
  2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Good show! glad it worked out for you.

One lesson I tried to impart to my kids, "If you don't ask, you don't get." Helped get one kid into the law school he wanted, and has gotten another the job they were really looking for.

This is on a smaller scale, but still proves lesson worthy. (Plus you had EPA leverage. :D)

D

E60 M5 and RedNeck like this.
  3. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    RedNeck likes this.
  4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    That is because the dealer should not have sold the car without federal compliant catalytic converters.
    If you have pushed a bit further they would have installed Ferrari catalytic converters, but you don’t need them because my guess is your state doesn’t require them.
    Same thing happened to the previous owner of my testarossa, he purchased the car from Ferrari of Orlando (he lives in California) and when the car arrived, surprise!! No cats at all (only test pipes) so he could not smog it . He complained and Ferrari of San Francisco installed the brand new cats at no cost (which are in my storage hahahaha)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedNeck likes this.
  5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Good point. I'm usually pretty assertive in getting what I want, but I had not even considered the legality of the situation until you mentioned it. Don't think a dealer would have even considered assisting in a car purchase from 2 years prior if it wasn't for that. Thanks again. Owe you a beer if you ever head north.
    Awesome! Even though it's been neglected as of late, I LOVE my Z06. I've had it for 6 years and it's one of the best cars I've ever owned. Can't see my getting rid of it for anything other than a C7 GS or Z.
    No smog testing in my county, or else I would have noticed this WAAAY sooner. My main issue was the mechanical issues caused by straightpipes, the legality issue was leverage. I've probably dropped about 10 grand in parts (plus Lord knows how many hours) fixing issues that it was not supposed to have upon delivery, several that even the PPI didn't catch (plus they cleared the codes before the PPI which pissed me off). Didn't want to push too much for stock cats, they most likely would have been used, more expensive, and would have had less success without a legal battle, which I did not want. Didn't really want the bulky, problematic stock cats anyway. Mine's a 99 so the pickin's are super slim. Plus I got it from a mom n' pop used car dealer, not a F dealer. I'm happy with the result, it was what I was going to negotiate down to anyway. I started with them paying $1700 for the cats, they offered to pay half and I took it. Plus I was able to negotiate the price of the cats down some also.

ferralc likes this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
  7. ILLA NOIZ

ILLA NOIZ Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Concord, North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Any feedback?

8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Wow so I guess I forgot about the thread and never updated. I suck. The cats are decent for the price, sound decent (my car is still plenty loud), but my biggest complaint (and I have communicated this to the owner of the company) is that they don't seem to be entirely stainless steel, but put together from a mish-mash of different pipes and then polished, which makes me question their longevity as opposed to the higher-priced cats on the market. In fact, I filmed a short video to send to him to show the differences between the sections of metal between the welds. You can also tell by the coloring that they are not made from the same grade of steel, and the grades are not consistent between the left and right. You can see this easily since my crossmember is still off the car today. Evoflow did offer to replace the cats for me, but at that point, it just wasn't worth it to through the hassle of pulling the exhaust again, so I'm living with it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. ILLA NOIZ

ILLA NOIZ Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Concord, North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Thank you for the information and the video. I will be sure to reach out to Brian and see if these inconsistencies have been addressed.
    While I am looking for a good deal I certainly want a quality product at even this price point.

10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Yes, I'd be interested in knowing that my feedback was taken into account. Upwards of $2000 is still not "cheap" for what these are, even though they have a lower price point than others on the market. That being said, even at their price point, you are right to expect a product that was as described, and I was a little disappointed....not that it really matters to their functionality. They offered to make it right, but it just wasn't worth doing the job again.

11. Prospeed

Prospeed Rookie

Mar 2, 2010
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi guys! Just wanted to clear things up and thanks Matt for your feedback. The issues were resolved and I eventually dig and looked into it and got a bad batch of stainless from my fabricator... I double checked and found out it was a 304 blend and not cut in sections but 1 piece. I brought it up to the supplier as they advertised it as 304 stainless and they offered to replaced and I refused. My regular supplier ran out of stock This one time so I asked my fabricator to source me some 304 and of course this happens. But all has been resolved and other evoflow owners can rest assure that they have a proper 304 stainless evoflow cat. Thanks guys!

12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Thanks for the explanation, now that the material issues are resolved, I feel you offer a quality product that is a reasonably priced alternative to others on the market.

ILLA NOIZ likes this.
  13. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Redneck, just curious as my car is also a pre-catless 99, I am in the market to replace my cats in the near future. As you know, videos don't do justice to how a car actually sounds...just kind of a teaser.

After I put my CS exhaust on my car, my mechanic (years of exp. with Ferraris on the street and track) made the comment that he had never heard a car that sounded like mine. Only thing I changed was adding a CS exhaust to a 99 Modena without the pre-cats. So I've got a couple questions for you. First question, do you still have the original headers on your car? Secondly, since you had test pipe resonators on, what is the difference in sound/pitch now with the 200 cell cats in place, if you can recall what it sounded like before?

14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    To be completely honest, not a huge difference that I noticed, maybe just smoothed the sound a bit...BUT I also have a Gruppe M exhaust, which is just enough to qualify to be called an exhaust, so it's still plenty loud. I do have the original headers, don't plan on replacing them unless necessary since they don't have the precats from factory.

Ghostdiver likes this.