Ignition wires | FerrariChat

Ignition wires

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by markcF355, Oct 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Is the a source for original (looking at least) ignition wires for the 400i? I bought a set from Kingsborne and they are complete crap.

They are completely mismade. The wires were the wrong lengths. They had the wrong boots on the distributor ends. The distributor end crimps aren’t made properly causing missing. The numbers are transposed from right to left.

Before I rip this crap apart and remake them, is there anyplace to just buy them?

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Superformance does sell some expensive ones with the correct brackets. Actually it's hard to install a new harness without new brackets, as one has to bend the original brakets in order to route the boots through the small holes.

That's the reason I prefer to build my own: cut the original ht lead, route new leads through the brackets, crimp terminal "in situ". No bent brackets, correct length, no need to mess with the cam covers, can be repaired in the future and cheaper than a "good" ready made one.

Ak Jim likes this.
  3. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That's a good idea. Thanks.

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Just quoting European prices for the record:

High quality HT leads : £299.50 (~333€)
    A good crimping tool is 69€ (Chinese stuff is less than $20), crimp terminals are 1,50€ each (24 required) and boots 1,20€, HT (24 required) lead is 10€/m. All in all grand total is 173,8€.

For my other cars I usually buy a ready made harness and replace the few bits and odds I do not like. Due to the brackets of the 400i, I just built my own from scratch and replace from time to time the crimps that are damaged during the spark plug swap. The Ferrari harness is so expensive that buying the tool in order to make your own or fix an existing one is a good investment.

I bought a crimping tool (made by BGS) with "detachable jaws" (sorry for the poor english). that's a bit more expensive (120€), but I can fix both the ignition terminals and the numerous fastin faston connector that are in the engine bay (headlamp, wind-shield wipers, ignition module, air-conditioning, fans, etc...). That's another good reason to invest in a crimping tool...