Stratos coffin-spoke wheels | FerrariChat

Stratos coffin-spoke wheels

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by derekw, Oct 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I am getting some forged wheels made in China and this is what they can do given the constraints of their current forged blanks. To get the deeper rear spokes will require new moulds which is only viable for 100+ wheels. I am thinking of getting the front design (spoke protrude into the lip area) but with 17x8 front and 17x9 rear. They may be able to do 16", they are still looking for suitable blanks. Price will be approx $1300 plus shipping and duties (probably $1600 delivered.)
    Let me know if you are interested via pm or email to derekrwhite at yahoo.com. I am ordering my set soon so there may be some cost savings for UK/EU people if you let me know asap.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Is this the ABS wheel type offset or the non-ABS?

3. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Sorry, this is only non-ABS, offset is 11-15mm. The ABS wheels are convex, I could make some but they would be very shallow as the offset is 51mm (36mm shallower.) Since they are forged it just means an update to the CAD file (add $100)

4. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Just giving you a heads up. Freight can get really expensive really quickly when shipping things from China.
    They have to go through their shipping agent unless you have one which racks up the price considerably.
    I would ask for an actual shipping quote just to be safe before moving forward.

5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Two wheels will be under the $800 threshold for duties so with the Trump 25% extra tariffs it is cheaper to send two wheels direct than ship a lot of wheels LTL to a US port, clear and ship within the US. The estimate is based on my quotes for shipping which would put two wheels at around $750.

Tubi Sales likes this.
  6. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    These look great.

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Looks sweet! Aluminium alloy I guess instead of the original magnesium alloy ones?

8. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    The old wheels were also an aluminum alloy but with a higher magnesium content. They tend to corrode faster and become brittle over time. The original castings were also very porous— I spent many hours restoring mine so I know this the hard way. The new wheels will be 6061T6 and will be forged or flow formed.

The current issue is tariffs in both US and EU on Chinese wheels. Looking how to solve this as currently tarrifs will put a set at $2k which I think is too much.

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #9 MvT, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    IMHO $2K is too much too. $1.3K I was considering. There was one set of wheels which I liked on the Mondial and those where from a 328 and this looks similar, but the Stratos ones are more neat. One can debate on the color :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Drewbdo likes this.