Dinos Seem To Be Getting More Attention? | FerrariChat

Dinos Seem To Be Getting More Attention?

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Sep 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I was at the news stand yesterday and saw the new issue of “Enzo”. I was pleasantly surprised at how much “Dino” content it had! I’ve discovered another great magazine worth buying! I hope they continue having more Dino content! It seems that more enthusiasts and restorers are getting excited about Dinos! They’re figuring out what we’ve known for a long time! The longer I have my Dino, the more I appreciate and love how special it is and one of the most fun and usable “Ferrari” experiences! It also seems that of late, there’s more support for parts and restoration options. Definitively worth advertising in! I think Dinos are still a bargain for the drop dead gorgeous looks, level of fun to own/drive and rarity of the experience.

LARRYH, UroTrash, pshoejberg and 2 others like this.
  2. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

Freeman,
    In addition to the media attention you reference, I have noticed the heightened interest in Dinos among car lovers, particularly younger ones. Whenever someone hears that I own a Dino, an expression of awe seems to be forthcoming. I think some of it comes from shows like Wayne Carini's "Chasing Classic Cars." Whatever the reason, Dinos are getting the respect they had been denied for many years. Forza Dino! Fred

UroTrash likes this.
  3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I think when you see a Dino in person on the road it’s a very special occasion. I love early 911’s but I feel Dinos are in rare air when you see one. A Carrera RS is an amazing car but it’s not that hard to exceed it’s performance in a lesser T, E or S and can be visually more pure. When I compare values of a good Carrera RS at around $700K +- vs a good 246GT Dino around $300K +-, a Dino is a much much better value in that you can have it AND a 911S AND a nice “other” dream car for less! I put a good Dino in the same class as a good Carrera RS perception-wise but the Dino is a more “special” and rare experience! That’s just my opinion though!

4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I agree and am amazed at the reaction I get from younger people when I mention the Dino. I’m surprised they know what it is, but they do.

synchro, LARRYH, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  5. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    If they remake the Dino, I hope it is a modern version of the classic. That design was amazing. Keep it gated, and less computers and electronics.

6. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I have noticed the same thing, Freeman and Fred! There has been a definite increase in the positive perceptions of the Dino, and along with that, a heightened interest in all aspects of the design. I thought at first that it was a local phenomenon in this neck of the woods only, but it is interesting to hear that you have noticed the same in thing the US, too.

I brought my Dino to two car shows this year, and the interest in the car was absolutely overwhelming. It seemed like every visitor wanted to look at it and ask questions about it. It took me a bit by surprise. I had brought a lawn chair for when things would be slow, but I never had a chance to bring it out! There was a steady stream of people around the Dino, from the opening at 10 a.m. to the closing at 5 p.m at both events. I did not even have time for a lunch break. I was on my legs all day at both events, talking about the Dino, demonstrating it, discussing design aspects, technical details, performance figures, weights, etc., etc. There seemed to be no end to the interest in the Dino.

All very nice, of course. It makes me wonder, though: Why now, 51 years after its introduction? What took everyone so long to discover what a ground-breaking design the Dino was, both technically and visually? And on top of that, a very usable and enjoyable sports car, equally at home either as a back road stormer, a high speed freeway cruiser or a leisurely weekend Gran Turismo car.

We old time Dino lovers can only smile, of course. We knew all along.

UroTrash and Bluebottle like this.
  7. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Lars,
    In the case of younger people, who weren't around when the Dino was introduced, seeing the Dino "in a vacuum," i.e., without it being constantly belittled as "almost a Ferrari" or "no match performance-wise for a 911," they can appreciate it for what it is. Its novel and brilliant mechanical and passenger packaging, its lust-inspiring design, its small size and absence of computer-controlled nannies all appeal to a younger generation of car enthusiast tired of innumerable gray, black, white and silver "crossover utility vehicles." In the final analysis, the Dino's purity wins the day. By the way, Lars, congratulations on your newly-refreshed beautiful silver Dino. One of my Dinos was painted silver for 15 years, and I have never lost my soft spot for silver Dinos. Fred

LARRYH, UroTrash and DinoLasse like this.
  8. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Personally, as an original "Dino" owner 04124, I hope they never remake the dino! Why remake a named car with no connection to the purpose of the original! To me, it would only take from the original representation of the car!
    "DON'T REMAKE THE Dino"

DinoLasse likes this.
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Freeeman I don't know whether you get this one over there:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Article attached.

Attached Files:

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Yes, but I missed that one!

11. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    With all the new cars having radical angles and humongous open grills (V12s), the Dino is a sweet design.

DinoLasse and racerboy9 like this.
  12. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Thank you, Fred. We obviously share the soft spot for silver Dinos. It is also a very practical and usable color. I have been driving my car a lot this summer and there is no need for constant washing and polishing as is the case with darker colors. The silver gray color hides a little normal road dust very well.

I think you have point about the all the belittling comments from the past not having been heard for decades now. They did affect how people looked at the Dino for many years. I am so glad that both you and I, and many of us this forum, paid absolutely no attention to them! Lars

13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I’ve been fortunate to drive many of my dream cars. One of two things happens in the first few minutes I’m driving. I either fall in love further with the experience or I am disappointed. With the Dino, it is one of the few classic car experiences that just gets better with every drive! Every moment is special! It under promises and over delivers the emotional experience in my opinion! I see the Dino only getting more popular in a market where many classics are becoming less desirable or less relevant.

14. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Life surprises; when the Dino was introduced and even today some people shun the car "not really a Ferrari". To their surprise and anyone who owns a Dino, it has been one of the most beautiful, driveable Ferrari's out of all! And that is what will make it only more and more desirable in the future as the 60's V12 front-engine, Ferrari Trucks wane in popularity!

15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    There has already been a noticeable change in the Daytona to Dino value ratio, to the extent that there has even been a small overlap in auction results, albeit for the best / rarest Dinos and (presumably) mediocre Daytonas - I am sure I saw some US auction results a while back that reflected this.

When I was at an event this summer, my Dino attracted a lot more attention than the Daytona parked next to it, and, encouragingly, there were a lot of younger enthusiasts (male and female) who seemed to prefer it to the more current machinery - 458/488s etc. - which I keep being told are what interest the younger generation to the point where our older cars will be unsaleable in the near future!

UroTrash likes this.
  16. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    A new Dino with no electronics except digital dash, and tunable would step on a lot of toes. Less than 300 hp, but at least v6, maybe a small turbo, or none at all. Work on the sound, crackling and pops. And less than 1100kg and priced right. Aimed at the tuner market. Gated manual and semi-automatic option.

17. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Fixed it for you.

Bluebottle likes this.
  18. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Digital Dash to show modern design? No?
    Semi-auto option because...
    Mid-Engined of course.

The tuner market is going to happen no matter what, because I've seen a couple altered 458s...
    Stanced:D Not that I would do that to a 458.

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Not the end result I was suspecting, but my nephew suckered into helping support his high school band fundraiser car show by bringing my Dino.

There were all kinds of cars from all kinds of time periods, including student cars, hot rods, everyday stuff, etc... For me this was better , but way smaller, than any cars and coffee type stuff.

The Dino won an award. The thing that amazed me the most was the “stories” being told about what a Dino was.

Almost all wrong, but I was amazed about how much was “almost” known by non-Ferrari, and for that matter, non-car people.

I am guessing car related video games have caused this, but I am not sure.

There is no way to explain this that I know of, especially amount the younger crowd in the suburbs. Not what I expected at all.

Shawn

20. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

synchro likes this.
  21. stuartlarman

stuartlarman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2009
    Tucson az
    Full Name:
    stuart larman
    LARS,
    I AGREE; SILVER IS A GREAT COLOR FOR THE DINO; HERE'S MINE / BLUE LEATHER! (03620-1st USA DINO IMPORTED INTO US)
    STUART:
    STUART Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Stuart,
    Nice car! The blue leather is an extra nice touch.
    One reason I like silver is that it does not scream "Look at me!" the way some other colors do. It just lets the shape of the car do the talking. And in the Dino, that shape is so beautiful.
    Lars

23. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #23 4CamGT, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    I think silver is one the best colors on a Dino. Truly represents Pininfarina and the pure shape. Difficult to get the right shade and smaller size of flake to look period correct. Great looking Dino!

24. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    In the 1980s we would attend the Newport Concours and several others in the LA area where the Dino was grouped with the 308 GT4/GTB/GTS and later with the 328s.

Dinos have gotten more attention over the years and for Concours events they have departed the 308 group and are now in the vintage section apart on their own. Furthermore, Dinos are loved and coveted so much that the low end, needing large maintenance cars are the tough ones to find. Dinos have typically been sought and restored

25. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Dinos are special, no doubt about it! They are also a rare sight. There are only so many of them and the design evokes the best of Ferrari DNA. There are no donor or salvage cars that I know of. The 308/328/348/355 are much more common and accessible. You won’t find “any” advertised Dino below $225K. I haven’t heard of any current transactions happening below that. That reflects the market and desirability.

I think it’s a great time to find a “driver” Dino where not too many owners and mechanics have reinterpreted what is original. I love my Dino. I don’t drive it enough!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

UroTrash and Skippr1999 like this.