Is anyone else not interested in the new hybrid models? | FerrariChat

Is anyone else not interested in the new hybrid models?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by terryreid, Oct 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. terryreid

terryreid Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 7, 2017
    Bloomington, IL / Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Terry R. Stahly
    My days of buying a new Ferrari apparently are over. I refused to upgrade to the 488 and will keep my 458 spider for a long long time. If the car does not sound good I have zero interest.

Being told by the dealers that all the new 8 cylinder cars will be hybrids has just flat cemented any notion of buying one.

May look at a pre owned 812 when the price sinks low enough and keep two kick butt cars that sound like Ferrari's and that's it.

Money has a tendency to screw up everything sooner or later and most of my fellow Ferrari enthusiasts are disappointed in the direction the company is going now.

I am sure they will find people to buy the hybrids the same clowns that are wrecking cars and flashy Lambo and McLaren types but not car purists.

The dealers in South Florida do not even want any 488's they are dime a dozen but you seldom see 458's for sale anymore. I do not think it will be long before 458's are worth more than 488's which tells you how much enthusiasm there is for cars that sound like BMW's.

I race cars and even I have no need for more power than my 458 spider has, I never thought I would say this but it has plenty.

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    My interest stops in personal ownership "wants" at the 550 Maranello (though maybe someday far off, I would accept a 458).

Everything else newer doesn't even move my peepee one teeny bit.

eostr and David_S like this.
  3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I love my 458 Spider, and Speciale, and 16M. :)
    I have an F12 which I adore but am willing to let it go as I await placing a deposit on an 812GTS.
    Yep....you could say I am one of those dreaded "NA guys." :)

I see Ferrari being in an almost impossible position.
    They have to stay relevant, and as such it is hard for them to charge $500K for an exotic sports car that is no faster than a nice Japanese sports car (for instance, 5 years from now if Ferrari stop developing faster and faster technology but others do continue this trend).
    Can they be like RR and Bentley and take the position their cars are "fast enough" and what you are buying is the "Ferrari experience?" (Amazing coachwork, dripping in Italian leather interiors, sound, emotion, etc...)
    Perhaps, but if they guess wrong and their cars haven't kept pace they can get crushed in a few short years...the buying public is fickle. Beside that is more of the Maserati niche, Ferrari is about F1 and being fast.
    To get that extra speed with staying compliant with ever toughening environmental and noise regulations they have no choice but to go hybrid or full electric.
    Look at Rimac....brilliant folks working as a small company...latest car project is stunningly beautiful and something like 2000hp all electric...nuts!
    So....what are they to do?
    What are we to do?

Themaven, anunakki and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Couldn’t agree more. You’ve effectively summarized my position regarding the present and future of Ferrari’s model range. You’re very far off being the only one put off by Ferrari hybrids and SUVs, I assure you.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

Airbus driver likes this.
  5. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Forced induction turbos OK. No interest what so ever in a hybrid unless its a PU truck,SUV or some other non de script daily driver.

6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I have zero interest in a hybrid. 430 manual, 599 manual, and 612 manual are the last cars I really love, but a couple of the DCT cars are okay: 458 and F12 (I think the 812 is FF fugly).

7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have no interest and frankly despise any Ferrari with an electric motor in it, I would take an Enzo, F50 / F40 288 GTO 0ver a LA Ferrari any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I also am not a fan of paddle shifted cars, although I love the 812 and the 488, so If i had deep pockets , I would buy a 488 and park it along side my 328 , I love one maybe White over Red interior. 599 Manual also is a favorite of mine. My budget would be 100 k for a car ,and most of that I would have to finance , so I have my heart set on an 08 Gallardo 6 speed manual . I like the 430s but they are way way way overpriced, especially with a manual gearbox.

Thank you

sixcarbs and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hey you kids, get off of my lawn! :D

Jaguar36, Ripped Fat and JG333SP like this.
  9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    same boat - 458 and FF are the last ferraris i will own long term. the move towards hybrids as reignited my love for the pre 2012 ferraris, and especially the 80s and 90s ones

greg328 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I have zero interest in hybrids. I am not a first buyer,... and wouldn't want to own one out of warranty. And I suspect the extended warranties are going to be expensive.

I don't quite get Ferraris new method of introducing so many new models so quickly... I can only see this driving down residual values.

But if that gets me an F8 spider in triple layer yellow in a few years for $200K... so be it!

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    in 3 years 150k will buy amazing stuff...if you care about HP

BOKE and Simon^2 like this.
  12. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Agree. Crazy days ahead...

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Bloated, heavier, more complex, more expensive to fix hybrids. No thanks. Nothing new really interests me enough to trade in my 580-2. Love the NA driving experience/sound. 458 Spider, 991 GT3 also were great cars to own. Maybe go to an F12 when they're under $200K for gently used/nice spec example but really prefer the mid-engine/go-kart layout.

14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Audi says everything they offer will be hybrids or electric by 2022. That is not far off folks.

Car makers are going to have to offer some new whizbang technology to lure us into hybrids. Something we can't live without (like stealth technology where cops cannot detect that you are speeding). Otherwise we can just keep driving our 458 spiders and say the heck with it. :)

eostr and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    All that crazy power is purely academic, you can rarely use the acceleration available and only in short bursts while having a head on a swivel looking for cops.
    Not fun.
    It is for bragging rights only, few track these cars, most have no access to one anyway.
    I’m stepping backwards, interested more and more in vintage models for better driving experience and not risking jail and car impound at the same time.

16. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    The consensus seems to be hybrid is undesirable. Is the LaFerrari unloved on Fchat? I for one would gladly trade my NA V8 for that beautiful car.
    Ditto the new F90

Jaguar36, I'm 360 Canuck and JG333SP like this.
  17. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    You guys have been watching the drag race b/t the Enzo and the LaFerrari on here! Gotta admit, I actually gagged when I saw the dude clutching the walkie talkie with the same hand on the wheel of the flipping Enzo ripping along. I wasn't too upset the other dude was doing the same thing since it was a LaFerrari

My company electrifies fleet vehicles/trucks and I have an old 308 GT4 in my driveway. I live this stuff, and it is cutting edge super cool stuff. We have battery tech right now (dual chem) that will crush anything you can do with gasoline, but I fell asleep on a plane reading about the LaFerrari when it was released. There's a reason nobody cares about Formula E and it's not just because they sound like a bunch of microwaves. I remember reading an off-hand comment from Shelby prob about 10 yrs ago 'the horsepower wars are over' and maybe that makes even more sense today.

Then again, maybe Vettel said it best over he weekend: 'bring back the f-ing V12s'

Tifosi Dude, anunakki and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    V8 hybrids? You mean V6 hybrids.
    It is well known that LF, 918, P1 are all having major issues with batteries. I spoke to a guy recently who got a $170k bill from McLaren to fix his P1 GTR.
    I’m fine with turbo, some of my most loved Ferraris are turbos (288, F40) and I am very attached to 488 having raced the challenge this season (car is amazing) and sounds crazy. Have a couple of 488s still on the way (pilota and spider) and I’m fine with that but hybrid? Can’t get there.

Caeruleus11 and G. Pepper like this.
  19. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I got into cars mainly for the eargasm's.

I don't want a car that sounds like a queef.

Airbus driver likes this.
  20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I've got my manual 360 and that solves my N/A 3-pedal needs.

I'm actually very interested in the hybrid drivetrains. All electric I'm not sure about, seems like a super golfcart. I don't mind the different sounds. To say that N/A is the end all and be-all of sounds is like saying Metallica is the best sounding music. I think the different engines have different sounds and learning to appreciate all the different types of exhaust sounds is like appreciating the different types of music.

I for one can't wait to drive the SF90...

Caeruleus11 and roma1280 like this.
  21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    horses for courses.

i am equal opportunity car enthusiast.
    i love my fire belching thunder demons like all of you, but i also have a hybrid - a very well sorted and adjusted fisker. and there are benefits to be had with a hybrid.
    i dont give a damn about carbon footprints or gasoline consumption.
    what i am referring to is that i love rolling silently through a crowded pedestrian area (actually i emit a sound but it is not obtrusive or annoying), i love engaging 960 pound ft of torque to pass somebody, and i like the games i can play with the regen modes etc.

and you also have to consider the market beyond yourselves. it is a market that for a variety of (misguided?) reasons, believe that IC engines are not good not right, too polluting etc etc bs. so ferrari has to adjust and build at least some product to satisfy that demographic.
    then there are the new pedestrian and noise restrictions that have to be met....

my own issue with the SF90 is that it is just butt ugly.
    If your beloved 458 was a hybrid, but sounded the same as it does now - entirely possible, and your torque curve was monster, you would like it.

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I find all the technology fascinating. Each thing brings with it its own challenges, and opportunities.

JG333SP and Boomhauer like this.
  23. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    I don't like the hybrids or electric.

There are alternatives. Biofuels, Ethanol, Hydrogen etc.

Hydrogen fuel cell is similiar to the electric. 2H2 + O2 = 2H2O

A lot of super car and sports car manufacturers, I believe are going hybrid to stay afloat with the technology.
    VW Group also seems to be trying to electric...

Another alternative is probably Hydrogen as a fuel which could work with a internal combustion engine, but it would still give off Nitrogen Oxides. Wouldnt have carbon emissions though. And it's more volatile.

My opinion, if they really wanted to, they could develop technology to still use Internal combustion engines and eliminate emissions, but they just stuck on electric.

JG333SP and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the really dumb parts of EV's is that there will be very little if any reduction in gases from the combustion of fossil fuels.

firstly, the electricity has to be made somehow, and the amount coming from renewables is insufficient.
    second, ALL the parts that go into a making an EV, have a fossil fuel component - plastics, mining and extracting the elements, converting them to their final product, shipping them, etc etc.

so refineries will continue to operate and require crude oil.....

so what is the goal other than fooling a bunch of people?

Themaven, E_Man and ChadR like this.
  25. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    "McLaren types"............ excuse me!

I've been a Ferrari enthusiast since I was 6 and an owner for over 30 years. Everything from 308s and F40s and TRs to a CS. Hybrids? Forget it.

McLarens...... oh yeah. Next level performance. Check! Exotic looks. Check! Rarely see myself coming and going. Check!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer likes this.