Testarossa Price Trends | Page 132 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed! Low miles too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    here in germany we don´t have much auctions, so I just had a look at mobile.de for prices.
    I not post here now every testarossa what is for sale on this mobile.de, but everybody may have a look at and make his own thinkings.

www://mobile.de

just now 108 are offered with prices between 70k and and 215k €

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    There are a lot of tr’s in various conditions available at any given time. Going to be hard to pin down a price. Clearly if the car needs to sell (BaT) then it can be “lower” than many of us would like.

It is what it is, don’t shoot the messenger. Although I admit it can be frustrating when Nat takes his message to BaT ;)

I got a higher mileage car than I “should” have for the price I paid, but I got a full redone interior that is much more durable than the original. I see that 9k mile car that just sold and all I can think about is how bad the seats look. Seems like a catch 22 to have a car with such low mileage and worn out seats. Regardless of what I paid, I can drive it without fear of hurting its value much or wearing it out.

Everyone needs to relax and remember we all (including Nat) love these cars.

Attached Files:

4. Natkingcolebasket69

We love those cars;)) I’d love for urs turn out being 200k;)

blkdiablo33 and xplodee like this.
  5. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    What the hell did they do to the dash for 25k?

6. Natkingcolebasket69

was actually 14k, the dct was 25k...for sure TR cheaper to maintain but I got warranty on the FF.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Jay R

Jay R Karting
    BANNED

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    James R 12345
    Keep going, Nat. I like what you do and consider it valuable. Those that don’t should just not comment.

8. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    looks like new

xplodee and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  9. C1C7M

C1C7M Karting

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    @xplodee ‘s prior post deconstructing the TR sale is by far the most rational take I’ve seen yet. If Nat approaches things that way and then takes it a step further (MANY more market comps incl private, granular and consistent details of the assets, and adjustments galore etc), THEN he’d be on the right track and would be owed due credit. But until then, the current approach of mostly ‘TR type + mileage + price = conclusion’ over and over again is nonsense upon stilts.

The point I made before was that it may not be possible for you to know ‘the market’ because there is just so much necessary information not made available to you to obtain statistical significance. Unless you can get all dealers and private sales to report to you, you won’t have enough to go on and are simply guessing coin flips and dice rolls. Now, some may like the theater of what you’re doing and that’s fine. It’s entertainment to them. I don’t care about that. I’m addressing the veracity of it all.

xplodee and BOKE like this.
  10. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    His price points are basically consistent with hagertys evaluation. You don’t think hagerty is wrong do you? So your points reminded me of when I was interviewing for a Ferrari mechanic. One independent told me that due to the fact that these are really old cars be prepared to spend 25k on the major because there will be a lot of extras to do once your in there. That sounded completely absurd. He didn’t want to know about past service history or anything. Was just saying that’s what it will cost. If you use hagerty as a guide you will probably be ok. I agree that if you find and buy a testarossa with delivery miles or super low miles they will be worth considerably more. Which your examples illustrates that. But for all other cars they will fall in the expected range posted on hagerty give or take.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

We will just have to agree to disagree. I am pretty sure you have a nice car which you are rightfully so proud of .
    I believe you said it was turn key ready but i also see you did have some issues... They all do, even when i bought mine from ferrari it did have issues ...
    Sometimes i call the price "spectacularly right" others "Sepctacularly wrong"...
    Mileage is the biggest factor along with color, maintenance history etc. The venue also matters.
    The car that fusion motor bought at BArret JAckson for in January, for isntance, they are still trying to flip it 9 months later.. Not exactly an easy sell
    https://www.fusionmotorco.com/vehicles/600/1986-ferrari-testarossa and https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1986-FERRARI-TESTAROSSA-224735
    The grey car on BAT which this year got 110k , was previously sold in 16 for 154k... he gold one however gained like 10k in 1 year and 20k in 2.
    The 86 TR that sold last year for 82k +5k had first not met reserve earlier that year 93+5k...
    Anyways; like i said lets agree to disagree. Ill be happy for you if the TR goes to Countach's levels or more.

I agree with you that the market is larger than just 100 cars traded in 2 years, but its surely a greater indicator than just a few.
    That being said i let you enjoy your day and look forward to your future prices input. It is a forum after all, all opinions are welcome :)

12. C1C7M

C1C7M Karting

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #3287 C1C7M, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Do you know how Hagerty makes their market assessments? I don’t, and it wouldn’t make sense to trust their numbers without examining their methodology and data source/robustness. They could be getting data from Nat after all.

You totally missed the point about the high prices, low mileage examples. It was not to disprove ‘the general market’ trend. It was to disprove Nat’s assertion that the “very rare examples” were “120-125” to use his words. Not even close, per the four examples provided. I wonder what Hagerty has for that range...

TRs trade in a fairly narrow thousands range and not the wide millions range like truly rare Ferraris. It’s not like some sell for $100k and others for $1mm+. It’s not that hard to guess *somewhat* close. Make enough guesses, and one is bound to be close on some. Coin flips and dice rolls.

Cars are listed at X and generally sell at a discount to X eventually, hoping at first for a rube with deep pockets to come along. That’s just how the game is played. It doesn’t mean prices are falling or sellers are delusional when it happens.

BOKE likes this.
  13. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    all this tr talk need to find time to drive mine

Shamile, turbo-joe, xplodee and 3 others like this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Like we said let’s agree to disagree. U keep holding to 4 cars and that’s great.
    I showed u quite a few in that range and others, to « me » but not to « you » it’s a better representation that what a car could sell for given specifics.
    Give a call to cauley Detroit Ferrari and ask them how much they will take for their classiche ,14k miles car. You might be surprised.

Enjoy your car, drive it & btw Hagerty gets private sale in their data it’s mentioned on their website.

15. Natkingcolebasket69

The voice of wisdom as always!! Long live the red book;)

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  16. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    red book lol hope u get one with ur next tr it really is special

17. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    when i sold my e 30 and saleen fox body they asked me what my sale price was when i removed the 2 cars from my policy

Zeff and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Interesting ! Now we have a potential ideal on
    How Hagerty get the private party sale prices;)

19. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Hello Chris,
    Nice to meet you. Yes I know how hagerty gets its valuations. They know most not all of the cars being bought and sold that use their insurance coverage. Example, when I called in to get my car insurance I showed them I paid x amount and they record that info. When I sell they will ask what the car sold for and record that info. They also track auction sales. This is how they determine value for the most part. Their valuations are more generalized and don’t take into account cars in the extreme end of the spectrum such as an 800 mile tr. They won’t have a value range for that. These are guides anyways and are not written in stone. I use my own guide when buying a car like this. Let’s say you buy a tr today for $130k because it has low miles like 7000k and is in perfect condition, most desirable color, service history etc. The first question I will ask myself before paying 130k for it will be if I decide to sell the car tomorrow how likely will I get most or all of my 130k back. You have to be honest with yourself despite wanting the car real bad. If my knowledge of the car prices are at 120k I’m not buying the car unless I’m ok overpaying by 10k. That’s how I buy cars and I’m generally mostly always happy with my decisions in my old age of car buying. Hope that helps.

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Great stuff!

Zeff likes this.
  21. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Maybe the bigger point is discussing values (whatever you think of them) in the appropriate place. This thread and other valuation discussions like it are a proper place. Sales threads, BAT, etc where buyers/sellers are actively participating in the process are most certainly not. If you “aren’t in the market” then keep your opinions to yourself in those settings where comments can/do impact the outcome of sales.

22. Natkingcolebasket69

That’s a good point! I will keep to just this thread !;)

turbo-joe and xplodee like this.
  23. Natkingcolebasket69

5000 for checking matching numbers is steep though;)

turbo-joe likes this.
  24. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    if u find one already done its a bonus its a special book ,just like getting luggage set another bonus

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed. Anyone in the market I would recommend checking the cauley one that is classiche, 14k miles.
    Tom There at Ferrari is a great sales and helped me a great deal with my FF.