Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 72 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It seems like they love doing rebirth..then flat lining then another rebirth. But they never have a mid term plan after their rebirth. They come back with one or two beautiful cars and that's it. No plan to actually sell them and keep customers happy and no plan to keep these customers as repeat customers.

flat_plane_eddie and desmomini like this.
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    All good items, but as we all know all those Maserati's should already be available other than the surprise mid engined car. They are taking way to long to replace product line. The Gran Turismo is the worst case. The 2007/2008 GT's will be classics before the car is replaced :)

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    All I can say is, I hope they don’t leave, I just bought a 2018 Giulia TI sport performance, I love this car! What will us owners do about Parts and Service if they bail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    First, they will be around for a while.They're talking about new product and haven't given up yet. Hell they're even trying to keep Fiat around. Secondly, I would not worry about service parts .
    I had bought a brand-new Alfa 164 back in the early 90s. To this day there is no problem getting service and parts. My current 2017 Giulia lease is up soon. Even though it has not been Toyota reliable I put 31,000 miles on it and I am still getting another.

Makuono, ferraripete and Dai Baracca like this.
  5. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve

Put an new American battery in that thing and it is highly probable that all of the bugaboos go away. My service tech diagnosed this "bad battery" syndrome that pops up sporadically with the batteries coming out of Italy (Europe) a few months ago; don't have a clue why Alfa didn't make this change in the first place.
    And my dealership has been 10 out of 10 for 2.5 years, of course all I needed were oil changes and tire rotations, Oh! and of course, a new battery.

Agent Smith and ferraripete like this.
  6. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Anyone ever drive a Quadrifolio with steel vs carbon ceramic brakes back to back? I assume besides the weight difference, the handling/steering is significantly better with the CCBs. Anyone out there have experience with this to compare?

7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Okay, I just got my wife a Ti sport rwd. 52k msrp, 38k sale price. Given it's first time with Alfa, we decided to lease. It's 408 plus tax with $1k drive off. 36/10. She refuses to drive the FF for daily drive.

I am pleasantly surprised by the handling that is very close to a sport car. The chassis is a great surprise with very min body roll and yet you can tell it's very joyful without causing any nervousness. It's the best $400 I have spent for a while. I will definitely give the stelvio quad a try in near future.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I posted this before, but a year ago I was car shopping too and had just driven the 4 series coupe the night before. Even compared to the lauded handling of the BMW, the Giulia Ti was sharper with better throttle response. Made the BMW feel artificially thick and heavy.

I was sold on the Ti trim but got upsold to the Quad as soon as I tried it. Picture the Ti with wider tires, huge Brembos and a 997TT engine...

IloveGT likes this.
  9. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Stelvio Quad is my daily ATM, Ferrari can only hope to make an SUV as good. Plus I can park it at Home Depot.

IloveGT, Boomhauer and ryalex like this.
  10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Just venting about my luck with these $$$ Pirelli P-Zero Corsa asymmetric tires. Replaced two at the beginning of the year due to wood screws. Now I've caught a nail again in the newest one, but it's still holding air. Then the other front has a slow leak, I can't see anything puncturing it but I'm losing about 3lbs a week pressure. Then tech said my rears are running low tread already (9,800 miles). They are slippery as hell unless totally hot but frankly have been since day 1.

That will be 6 tires in one year. I might take the opportunity to switch to Michelin.

11. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The joke with those Pirellis is that they've written the exact amount of grip on the sidewall: ZERO.

ryalex likes this.
  12. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Hated the Pirellis! The Michelin’s are much better for a daily use car and they eliminated that awful low speed, full lock, shudder/skip.

ryalex and greg328 like this.
  13. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah the skidding and fishtailing with traction control stuttering is annoying, and when taking a curve quickly the way it starts to slide between gears is unnerving. I have Michelin on both Ferraris and I'm happy with those.

14. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    after 3 years & 2 sets of Corsas I went back to tried & true MPSS in the OEM size.
    they have great grip in wet & dry, more importantly they are predictable compared to the Corsas which would decide to let loose sometimes.
    have never had much luck with Pirelli anyway

ryalex likes this.
  15. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I've already switched to the Michelins for the fronts on my Quad (after 900o miles they went sooner than the rears). The Pirellis are just scary when in Race mode even living in the hot Southwest desert, they let loose when they feel like it. I wonder what the difference in acceleration between the two tires are.

ryalex likes this.
  16. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    FOR OUR NY ALFA OWNERS
    not sure if some are aware, but Miller Motors has opened a service facility in Greenwich CT on Putnam Ave.
    Used to be Jeep/Dodge facility??.....at any rate no more hoofing to Stamford!! :):):)
    Norbert is there as the lead SA. Clean, tidy, small, but it works!!

ryalex likes this.
  17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #1792 ryalex, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    I got a full set of MPSS mounted on Monday and am totally pleased with it so far. Within 10 seconds and two turns you can tell the sidewalls are firmer, it doesn't have that mushy turn in where the sidewall of the Pirelli folds over on itself. No studder/skipping at parking-speed turns.

The fishtailing at low speeds is gone - I could never figure out with the Pzero why/how the car would always wiggle in the same right/left/right pattern, if it was a function of the traction control or the tires. But now the rears catch traction more straight. It's such an improvement that I've been driving the car now for the last 2.5 days enjoying it far more than before (admittedly I had also been limping around with damaged fronts for weeks, which made me weary - turned out there was a screw in the other front too, that made four punctures in 8 months).

Stardoc - I barely ever used Race because I didn't trust the back end to stay put - changing gears on a sweeping turn made the rears want to come sideways even more than a rear engined car. The 458 in Race mode has so much better feel and predictability (of course it still has traction control on in Race). That also might be due to the stout torque curve of the Alfa hitting far more torque at the low end.

Dai Baracca likes this.
  18. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Interesting reading the comments on the PZeros, only issue I've ever had with them on my Quad is the low speed shudder. That being said I'm having the Michelin Alpins installed next week so I can drive it through the winter here in WI!

ryalex likes this.
  19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I have 6.5k miles and still on the p-zeros. I may get another 1k miles from them and think I will replace with same.

20. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

for those who want slightly oversized tyres the best ones are these 185/70VR14 Pirelli Cinturato CN36. you don't want to go bigger than 185 without having to do other modifications. 165HR14 Michelin XAS or Pirelli Cinturato are still the best really, but if you have larger wheels or like the look of the bigger tyre then these CN36 are the best.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/185-70-14.html

Pirelli have just made a fresh batch, which is good news.

21. Boy roy

Boy roy Rookie

Sep 6, 2020
    My daily driver for the past four years is an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio, one of the first to arrive in the UK. During this time, my other car has been a 2013 458 Italia, bought new and now replaced this March with a 2015 F12. The Alfa is an incredible car, so dynamic and so far very reliable. It’s unfortunate that it’s let down by Alfa’s past reputation and its dealer network, although my dealer seems ok.... just had its big 4 year service. After two sets of Corsas I’m now on old style PZeros which seem quite satisfactory.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ryalex, Makuono and amenasce like this.
  22. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Hi, is anyone here willing to run a carfax report for me? Considering a car privately being sold in Florida. Seems a solid deal but the seller is a bit of a grouch. Would rather not waste the $40 to find it's been wrecked or lemoned. Thanks.

23. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Update: Do not need carfax anymore. Purchased the car and it's perfect. 2017 w/ 8,500 miles and a 100k mile extended warranty.

95spiderman likes this.
  24. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I had a 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio. The Quad was the most Love/Hate car I’ve had in the over 100 cars I’ve owned in my life.

I loved the styling, size, performance, comfort and specialness of the car. I even loved the smell of the car. It just oozed Italian style.

That experience was offset by an engine that grenaded at 5k miles and then a near endless series of fuel pressure problems that the dealer couldn’t resolve and ultimately ended in Alfa needing to buy the car back.

As a parting gift (sarcasm emoji) Alfa USA was brutal to deal with during the buy back process. I got handed off from one person to the next, each somehow managing to be less competent than the prior. That final experience lasted over two months, all the while Alfa was racking up rental car charges of about $75/day.

Once more time has passed I’m going to look at buying a Quad again. Even with the dreadful reliability experience I had, I simply loved the car when it was running right. I read about many others who have had no problems and that gives me the courage to consider trying it again. I know the dealer situation has been fluid and that will be a factor in my decision.

For what it’s worth, i replaced the Quad with a 2013 M3 Competition. That’s the last year of the V8. It’s a worthy car for comparison and the V8 in the M3 is a serious piece of engineering, but I still prefer the Quadrifoglio.

greg328 likes this.
  25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It's incredible how Alfa manages to have absolutely terrible customer service no matter the country, the year or the price of the car they sell.

They spend so much designing such beautiful cars, and for some of them actually making them class leading only to **** up the experience when something goes wrong.

I cant imagine being a buyer at $80k to be treated like garbage.

With all of that said, i am still going to buy one when i leave Illinois.

FORZA 62 likes this.