Cancelled Pista Spider Orders | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Cancelled Pista Spider Orders

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scraggy, Sep 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Lol. If anything, you are consistent. :)

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    And yet I love my Tesla’s for DD. Go fig.

njcycleguy and SoCal to az like this.
  3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I saw the new advanced summon in action today. Freaking blew my mind. I bought my
    Wife the Audi Etron. She refused to drive anything but electric cars. Not cause she is some environmental extremist- she just hates to go to the gas station.

Audi drives much better than her model s but Tesla is miles ahead on autopilot.

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I have absolutely no interest in electric cars.

QUOTE up just now

Phillip Carlson paid $53k for a Nissan Leaf in 2012. Today the car won't travel more than 45km between charges in winter, and Nissan wants to charge him an astonishing $33k to replace the battery.

This effectively consigns the Leaf to the status of 'disposable' - hardly very environmentally sensitive.

And let's not forget that for the repair cost, you could buy enough petrol to drive 10 laps of the planet...

Not to mention the many Etrons that have caught fire

Not to mention that Tesla via WIFI down graded the range of its battery , hell I thought when you bought a car it was yours ???? And here is Tesla without telling you via WIFI down grade the battery by 15% That's BS

F2003-GA, Bundy and SoCal to az like this.
  5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Oh I don’t disagree st all. I’m
    Not a fan. But we own a model s and now the etron. Again- my wife just hates to go to the gas station. It’s a simple convenience issue for her. Nothing more.

MANDALAY likes this.
  6. HKE46Boy

HKE46Boy Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    CA
    Full Name:
    RENN Spec
    I got my Pista without buying a Lusso. Had to pay a decent mark up.

7. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I feel like moaning about another value thread but this one has gone to 7 pages in a couple of days! Value threads are obviously more interesting than we can all admit....and here I am posting on it....

I recently bought a 991.2 GT3RS. I bought it for a road trip since my 812 is now really late (they are ‘hoping’ to get it in Q4). I also had a .1 car a couple of years ago and sold it. I paid over MSRP on both as a second owner in the UK. Recently I was offered a ‘batch 2’ version for close to MSRP by someone I know and discussed selling my current car back to an OPC. First off they offered me about £15k above list, a bit more if a customer they had in mind would take the car. I said ‘no’ because it was too much below what I paid for the car - I bought it at delivery miles and paid for the privilege because I thought I might keep the car longer term and use it as a track day car - don’t feel like taking my Ferraris on track too often, too expensive. I didn’t buy it for value reasons and fully expect it to lose money. I bought the .1 version with 2k miles in 2017, also paid overs, used it for 6 or 7 months and sold it for a cost of £10k so not too bad for such a great car in my estimation.

Anyway, I went on my trip, added about 3k miles and dealer contacts me again - have two people interested in the car, would you consider selling it, I think we can improve on the offer we made, even with 3k miles. Still said no. Maybe I’ll regret that if I don’t use it much. I now have many Ferraris coming over the next two years or so and perhaps there is not enough time to use the RS. But I have two basic points.

First, stories like this are valuable rather than opinion, but even still, this story is directly relevant to me but may not be relevant to you - different dealers, different countries (even different states in the US make a difference), different cars..... You can only get some general information and nothing precise from reading about others’ experiences and you can usually get very little from others’ opinions unless you know the person and know their opinion is based on their experience. Many keyboard warriors around saying “Ferrari produces too much, this car is rubbish, that one is great, the world is doomed..” etc. Often they don’t even own an exotic car and sometimes they have NEVER owned one. Forget those opinions except just for fun.

Second, it does seem that buying to flip for a profit is stopping...for now. Great. I have a lot of cars on order with Ferrari. I decided to concentrate my toy-car buying mostly on one brand - Ferrari (with a bit of Porsche thrown in). I have 5 on order now including 812 Spider, Pista Spider, F8, Stradale and (still) 812. I will not keep all of them and I expect Ferrari to be quite late with a number of them, in particular Stradale for which I think they will take a bit of time to get just right. The ones I sell on will be sold on quickly (<1 yr) and they will depreciate a little bit. But for that I get to decide to keep the ones I like and drive the others for a bit and widen my experience. I feel like, as a car enthusiast, what a privilege to be able to own and experience numerous different cars. This seems like a better reason to own them, not simply to try and speculate on them which seems like a recipe for disappointment. Sure, some exotics will do pretty well over time. I think it is unreasonable to comment on long term value when discussing the short term, flippers market. Pista has a flippers premium at the moment. It may well go down significantly if there is a recession, but should recover after that. Scud did the same as did CS. It is only actually the Speciale that has not really travelled below MSRP very often. I think you can conclude that is because first, it is a great car and better received than the Scud was, and second, it was launched into a rising tide of interest in exotics. That may not apply to Pista.

On the balance of probabilities...
    - Pista will hold ok if you are a driver and want decent value for your exotic miles, not too well if you’re a flipper
    - Pista Spider will be a bit better but maybe not too much (car was a bit harder to get and they sold more 488 Spider than coupe, maybe that logic holds, maybe not)
    - if there is a recession values will drop but Ferrari have been pretty good at managing that, last recession was worse than this one most likely but Ferrari are now public, does that make a difference? Perhaps, hard to tell.
    - If there is a recession then people who are forced to sell will lose out, if you can hold them you will still do ok (in other words manageable depreciation, probably not profit).

stavura, Scudmsl, Thecadster and 2 others like this.
  8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I for one will be glad when (if) the “flipping” days come to an end!
    These are kinetic art and most of the fun (as in >90%) for me is in the driving, not the looking.
    It really is simple:
    1. Buy a toy car(s) you like.
    2. Drive it with friends, make friends, build memories.
    3A. Keep it for years and build a history with car(s) and it becomes even more special...or
    3B. Fall out of love with it and sell it.
    4. Go back to #1.
    Notes:
    A) Never look to toy cars as investments, invest elsewhere.
    B) Don’t over extend yourself financially on ANY toy.
    C) Ignore most “advice” on internet message boards since most comes from dubious sources.

Feel free to expand.....:)

9. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    LOL

10. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I didn’t mean to start a “value” thread more a cautionary tale re some limited folks cancelling orders for prized cars.

Cannot wait for my Spider and easier to justify mileage if not an “investment” which is nice.

11. martisracing

martisracing Karting

Nov 2, 2011
    Northamptonshire, UK
    In the UK it was really difficult to get a Pista allocation. Even though Ihad purchased a Speciale I was on the second and final allocation list. My car is due to arrive early next year and one of the final builds. I find it really hard to believe that you can now walk into a dealer and get one. It is not what my dealer has told me. I bought my Speciale with no issues in comparison and was offered allocations at 3 different dealers. The impression I get in the UK there are far less Pistas than Speciales. At Ferrari owner club meets there always was and still are quite a few Speciales but Pistas are extremely rare. Even at the national meet back in August Speciales onutnumbered Pistas and one of the Pistas was the UK press car. I have only ever seen one Pista on the road (surprisingly that was a Spider) but have seen Speciales both in the UK and Europe.

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Might just be related to time...

13. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Here is a question for the forum...how many Pistas have any of you actually seen on the road?

Not car shows, not dealership floors..

I live in Dallas but spend a fair amount of time in Miami..my tally...Zero

Anyone seen one “ in the wild ?”

randkin likes this.
  14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ive seen one at a local car show - zero on the road.

16. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    I had seen 1 Pista coupe and 1 Pista Spider last Sunday at Newport Beach Moulin Bistro car show event.

17. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Saw 2 on the road, 405 south blue with yellow stripes in front of a chalk 2RS. Newport Beach red with silver/black stripe on PCH. Both gorgeous

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have also seen 0 Speciales on the road, 0 F12s, 0 812s, 0 of virtually most Ferraris.
    I have seen occasional 458s, 360s, 430s, 599s.
    I live in an affluent area on gulf coast.

19. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    #169 soulsea, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  20. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    0, unless you count car week in Carmel and Monterey, which doesn't count.

I have marveled at the dearth of Pistas in the wild.

21. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    0, unless you count car week in Carmel and Monterey, which doesn't count.

I have marveled at the dearth of Pistas in the wild.

22. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    There are 3 parked in my condo (Toronto).

23. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    I have seen 1 in the wild on I-65 south of Chicago a month or so ago...and 1 in my garage

Also saw/drove 5 at the corso pilota advanced school last week! I have a whole new respect for the car.

24. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

See now I have seen 1 Speciale probably 10 F12s and at least 3 812s.

Fascinating how no one has actually seen a Pista on the road, in a parking lot or anywhere but a car show (except you Scrappy and technically they weren't "on the road" ;). ).

25. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    The hell?