Challenge Stradale sticky buttons | FerrariChat

Challenge Stradale sticky buttons

Discussion in '360/430' started by rzundel, Sep 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rzundel

rzundel Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Southern California
    I’m interested to know how many CS owners have had to repair their sticky buttons yet? Mine are starting to feel a little tacky and it’s stored in a controlled environment and always gets wiped down but I think it’s inevitable that they ALL eventually have to be repaired. Who are you guys using to do the work and what is the expected cost?

2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Mine got a fairly sticky steering column and I had the dealer do it, so not sure who they sent it to (I do know they sent it out). It looked great thereafter. I didn't have too much other stickyness, not enough to warrant action anyways. Sticky no more and StickyRX are the go-to firm's on here of course. Many, many, many threads with firsthand experience with both to learn from.

The cost seems to be a state secret to an extend. I think Dave will send you a price list via email iirc. The dealer will charge to pull the parts out. IIRC my steering column was a couple hundred total.

3. jet

jet Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Mine are starting to feel sticky as well. Will have them taken care of at the next major service. And as a note I falsely believed that a climate controlled garage would prevent or minimize this but it seems inevitable as you said.

4. rzundel

rzundel Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Southern California
    Thanks guys for your input. The main reason for this thread is that we all have cars that are 15 years old so I have to believe that most all CS’s are starting to experience the stickies. Love to hear from others.

5. rzundel

rzundel Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Southern California
    I should mention that Dave from StickyRX just reached out to me. I connected with him a few years ago when I first noticed things starting to get soft. Great guy!

Jaymie360 likes this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    5200 miles and no sticky inside - specifically looked for that this weekend as i hadnt driven the car in a long time...

7. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    Mine were sticky (including steering column) about three years ago. My indy shop did some of the work and the rest got sent to StickyRx. Very good job, even on vents where the arrows had to be painted (done by indy).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Ive done many of these cars up here in Toronto and Ive seen Daves work well. His is by far the best around.

9. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

9900 miles and no stickies........yet

10. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Give us a call for all your sticky needs, we have been around for over 10 years.

11. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    YEP... done cpl years ago.

12. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Do it yourself. Rubbing alcohol and some time. Why spend thousands?

13. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    Goo gone it off

14. JPMD

JPMD Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    FL
    Full Name:
    John
    I tried everything including 99% Alcohol without success. This is a special car reached out to Dave (great guy) StickyRx and addressed all of the parts at once.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. rzundel

rzundel Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Southern California
    I appreciate everyone’s advise on self remedies. I plan to have mine done professionally because I want to retain all the ordinal markings. Looks like this runs about $4-$5k including labor. I’m still interested to hear from other CS owners to see who has had it done and who currently is not experiencing any stickies? Seeing our cars were all manufactured the same year I would think all CS’s would be experiencing this problem about now. Share your story.

16. rzundel

rzundel Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Southern California
    Looks perfect just like it should! Dave does amazing work and who I plan to use. Curious who did you use to remove/install the parts? How much in labor cost?

17. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    $5K? WOW!! I need to raise my prices, we are no where near that to do refinishing.

18. JPMD

JPMD Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    FL
    Full Name:
    John
    Lucky, a friend of mine & former Porsche tech is quite handy.

I happily handed over $2,650.00 to Dave at StickyRx. The 360CS is a special car. As you know his methods which include factory correct OEM appearing laser etching are superior to your technique. He is always available by either email or by phone and is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to Ferraris.

Big loss to the forum with being banned.

sparetireless, RayJohns and RossoC360 like this.
  19. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Agree that Dave’s work at StickyRx is the best in the business. This forum lost a great advocate and sponsor when they let Dave go. Too bad. He was one of the most knowledgeable car enthusiasts, particularly when it comes to Ferrari, on this forum.

20. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    So keeping the factory lettering, without the use of decals and laser etching is superior to my technique? Hhhhmm interesting that you know so much about our process.... We can strip the sticky goo off the parts and retain the FACTORY lettering in most cases, no need to redo what Ferrari has already done. So how can anything else be superior to that? Anything other then that is an aftermarket finish, not the original Ferrari finish, correct?

21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    What alarms me most is this statement from your website:

• StickyNoMore coated parts look fantastic while matching the interior factory color. NOTE: The thick sticky coating covering factory interior parts often hides manufacturing defects in the underlying plastic. We strive to make all refinished parts look better than new, however in some cases small defects in the factory plastic may become visible.
    StickyRX's process involves stripping everything back to bare plastic, then putting down a better than original finish and laser etching the logos back on. Dave is a perfectionist, so I doubt very much if he would ever let any part go back to a customer that isn't 100% perfect.

I think to suggest that reusing the original factory base coat somehow makes your process "superior" is a bit of a stretch - if not just flat out absurd. Let's not forget that it was the original factory finish which failed in the first place and left these parts needing to be refinished.

Ray

338Lapua likes this.
  22. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I was not going to intervene but I've seen parts refinished by you with decals on them. Replacing the clear top coat is one thing but in many cases whats beneath it has to be repaired and you shown and stated on your website "small defects in the factory plastic may become visible" that you're simply not capable of properly doing that. :eek:

23. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    It is obvious you have no clue as to what lies beneath the sticky coating or how that coating its applied from the factory. Please explain to all of us how the coatings are applied from the factory and what is involved in the stripping process, you realize there are several layers, right? The TOP COATING is what fails, NOT the first layer or even second layer. Call your buddy Dave and he will confirm that....

24. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yea, the 65 dealers from all over the world we do work for daily obviously use us because we aren't capable...LOL - - Funny how everyone always knows how to do someones else's job. I'm guessing you tell the dentist how to properly do your root canal also, or the police how much force to use upon an arrest. LOL - - Last post in this thread, you guys can talk about how you know exactly what refinishing parts involves, but we all know what is really going on. Call Dave back, I'm sure he will tell you what to say next....LMAO....