355 - Vanished $ Hope | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Vanished $ Hope

Discussion in '348/355' started by watkinsgt, Sep 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I think I will stick with my 355 ;)
    Racking up the miles, and driving down the value.
    Life is good, and it’s short.

2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Corvette is he poor man’s Ferrari. Not even in the same league.

Kind of like the difference between blue collar and white collar.

Robb likes this.
  3. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Driving the 355 is like dating the bank manager while driving the corvette is like dating a teller. Lots of tellers at every bank.....only one manager.

Skippr1999 and Robb like this.
  4. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Interesting question: what will new Corvette do to our car's values? I suspect not much because let's face it, you have to be a little insane to own a 355/348: $$$$ for parts, $$$$$$ for " major " every 5 years...we do it for the mystique, the heritage, the passion, the sound...and a stick shift.
    I really wonder more about the C8 vs the competition of new cars. If I was shopping for a brand new high performance car I think the decision becomes more intriguing. I would have a hard time coughing up the dough for a new Porsche 911 variant vs the new 'Vette. Porsche may have the heritage, but they are everywhere. When I'm driving, if I see a Ferrari driving down the street, it raises my pulse. Porsche? Lost in the clutter. How about the new NSX? Poor sales anyway. This could kill that one off. McLaren? Lambo? All these cars offer spectacular performance with tons of power and electronic nannies that make everyone look like Senna, but not a lot of soul, which I personally think the 348/355 have in abundance. It will be interesting to see what happens. If someone starts making body kits to improve the rear end of the C8 and maybe change the front to give one's car more individuality, it could be a tough choice.

Sent from my VS990 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    The only people I see in Corvettes have grey hair or no hair and Hawaiian shirts. Nuff said.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Skippr1999 likes this.
  7. jebones

jebones Karting

May 13, 2015
    NEOhio
    Vette and Ferrari buyers are two completely different car people looking for two completely different cars. Personally I don't know of any collector who has a Vette and Ferrari (of the vintage we are discussing). If there is one, I bet he/she would be the first to say there is no comparison. Each car has it own unique characteristics, some good and some bad, both with their own cliches. I don't think the value or availability of one has any affect on the other. Personally I always said I'd have to wear glasses and a fake nose to be seen in a Vette of any vintage. I'll stick with my 348 regardless of price, market value and minimal appreciation in value.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    There are many..if not hundreds or thousands of car collectors out there who have both corvettes, ferraris, and what ever else (think Jay Leno). I hate to say it but you have a very narrow minded view of the car enthusiast world.

Shark01 likes this.
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hope this does not turn into a Vette VS Ferrari thread, speculating about 355 values, anyone?

10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Corvettes are ugly. I can't tell them apart from a Camaro. GM sucked on this one.

FLORIDAsnakeEyes likes this.
  11. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    All I know is I've had Corvette drivers give me a thumbs up while out in the 355.

PhilB likes this.
  12. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Have you considered glasses?

[​IMG]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I agree. Skip over the next two models which are not the best looking to the 458 Italia which is very nice.

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The Vette has sweet rear wheel gap, in that picture above at least, I did not realize it was a crossover.

The Outcast likes this.
  15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I noticed that too. I dont like the exaggerated rake, looks a bit cheesy.

16. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Corvettes have been faster than the 355 pretty much since its inception.

I have nothing against Corvettes, in fact I wouldn't mind one...but it's not a replacement for the 355 or other classic cars in my opinion.

If we're going that far...the 2019 ZR1 would mop the floor with an Enzo let alone an F50/F40 etc. I don't think the same people interested in the latter are running to their nearest Chevy dealership with a fist full of cash.

PhilB and Robb like this.
  17. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    They'll make more C8s in a month than Ferrari did in the production run of 355s.

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The 308/328/348/355 is the poor mans Ferrari. :)

Yep, and they will both screw you. One with your pants on. :)

What about all the 308 owners who think they are Magnum PI? :)

I've had a lot of Corvette owners wave or give me thumbs up. I used to just laugh. But lately I've given then a wave as well. They are still enthusiasts. I like the C8, best vett since the C5 and before that the C1 and C2.

And sell them all too. :)

Who here has actually seen the C8 up close and personal? I have. About the only issue I had was the rear end, which doesn't look as bad in person as it does in pictures. I'm not likely to ever buy one because I'm not a Corvette guy, but I said that about Porsches too. And now I'm on my second Porsche in 7 years and contemplating a 3rd. Ferrari? I could see a 488 if I could ever afford one, but it's not a car you can DIY much on. That the problem with all these newer cars, C8 included, too much electronics.

jimmym likes this.
  19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^Agreed, though the F355 has pretty similar performance numbers to the at the time "king of the hill" ZR1 with it's DOHC V8 and nearly twice the displacement. Not too shabby.

As for the C8 having an influence on F355 values, I don't see the relevance but don't care either way.

jimmym, F355Bob and Robb like this.
  20. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I always thought that the 308 was the poor man’s Ferrari. :cool:
    :D

21. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    usually the teller is hotter and younger

GTO Joe and Pangea like this.
  22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    We have a customer with 2019 z06. Very wealthy fellow. Over the past few months, we have installed approx 60k in upgrades to this car..40k in carbon fiber alone, just installed a complete Ackropovic exhaust system on Friday..10k just for that.

I asked him why he won't buy a Ferrari or some other exotic, he just doesn't want one. Plain and simple, he is a Corvette guy, and likes to customize to his taste.

Similar upgrades done to an F-car would be triple the price, and at the end of the day he would be further underwater with the Ferrari then he is now with the Vette.

Point is, not everybody wants a ferrari, or even has the desire for one regardless of how much money they have.

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    A look at all the $200k 1932-1972ish resto mods out there with $30k paint jobs will tell you that's true. A certain generation out there tends to favor American muscle and will spend dearly on them. Very. Different strokes for different folks.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

bernardo66 likes this.
  24. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Don't know how this turned into a C8 bashing thread having started as a musing about 355 values and desirability. Two different concepts. The C8 is by far the best Corvette ever made and continues to develop as GM intended - America's premier sports car. Of course, it is likely America's only sports car, but still.

The 355 is a limited production Italian exotic. For some it is a timeless design; for others a significant historical mark in exotic car design. One could never compare it to anything around today or in the future. It stands on its own merits and idiosyncrasies - and we know it certainly has its share of those. :D

Do newer sports and exotic cars affect the appeal and collectability of cars like the 355? Not a chance. Maybe to those who only want the fastest most current alternative out there. But that is not what these older Ferrari's are. These are for people who actually want to drive the car themselves and feel responsible for the good and bad maneuvers while testing a stretch of road or track. No computers, no fancy tech, no excuses. Visceral. Seat of the pants. Connected to the chassis. Feeling the car. Not terms you hear about anything modern.

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Your so right, no one disagrees with you. I sure dont I bought a 348 for all those reasons except they ware more true for a 348. :)

But lets be honest, your talking to your base here. The number of people who get it (your base) is less than the number imported into the US and given there is unsold inventory out there, what about 10,000? Few outside this forum care about the cars, understand the cars or get what they are about and that includes all the previous owners who sold them for greener pastures presumably. The only thing people want to do these days is measure their HP wieners. This is why the hell cat and similar brood exist.

The FIRST question I get from people after the explain how gorgeous it is is "how much horse power does it have" and they wait with baited breath to be really impressed. When I tell them and explain its a sports car not a super car they say "ohh that's it" and walk away. A Toyota Camry has 300 hp available now I mean geez no wonder. There is WAY more to a car than hp as you outline and I completely agree, we all do, but I/we all get it. By far and large other people don't get it or simply don't care.

Better, cheaper and faster cars will continue take their tool on these cars until they hit the bygone era becoming desirable once again like the Dino/365 did. No guarantees there.

In the mean time I enjoy mine for me. Let Vette buyers buy, mustang buyers buy, M2 buyers buy, who cares, good for them. Apples and oranges. A 355 by being a Ferrari has zero to prove, its beyond reproach as far as I am concerned. I just smile because I see a corner coming up and they will not experience it the same as I do. I know, they don't and they don't have to. Never do I feel the need to race someone or prove how awesome it is when I am out, I don't have to, ITS A FERRARI. A red one no less.;)

vdettore, bernardo66 and tatry68 like this.