How invasive is ADAS on new 2020 812 Superfast? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How invasive is ADAS on new 2020 812 Superfast?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Eilig, Sep 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You can always journey back in time. There are so many great cars out there. Or you can go forward, understanding the reasons why things are. As crummy as some of these forced things are, when these are your choices, life is pretty great!

sampelligrino, Bundy, stavura and 4 others like this.
  2. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Never "new" again, only from the past. This is a "generational change" on many levels and there is no excitement in having a car continuously remind you how stupid it thinks you are....

And, be mindful that more and more new cars are being designed to also continuously spy on you and report back to the manufacturer and others (Alex'a now partnering with several majors) that certainly has nothing to do with being a "safe" driver...

Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    With all this unnecessary/unwanted garbage on new cars, my days of buying new are done - regardless of brand.

Bundy likes this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For now apparently in Europe ADAS is optional, which is good news for me.

5. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    US dealer telling me they are REQUIRED to order it on new 812's.

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Is that a legal requirement or a Ferrari policy? what I was told this morning in France is that it's definitely only optional for now (the salesman telling it was in Italy this week).

350MH83 likes this.
  7. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    My MY2020 812 ADAS only has

Lane departure warning- which can be turned off

Traffic sign recognition- which can be turned off

HELE-which has be turned off each time you start car

None of the other stuff yet. Maybe in year 2020 production model the other braking stuff will show up.

All of the above is not a big deal. I think if you can securely a 812 production year 2019 you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350MH83 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. JMJ

JMJ Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey J
  9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) is REGULATION starting calendar year 2020 for nearly every country outside USA, China and India:

https://www.fleetbusiness.com/news/40-countries-agree-to-mandatory-auto-emergency-braking-by-2020

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-trends/40-car-markets-agree-to-make-automatic-brakes-mandatory

I expect AEB to be standard on all Ferraris regardless of market despite the obvious dangers:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-automatic-brakes-become-common-so-do-driver-complaints-11566898205

(even more reason than ever to maintain safe following distances to the car ahead of you so you have time to stop when one of these "robot cars" decides to panic for no reason, most definitely a disadvantage for Ferrari)

Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Not sure how fast it's actually moving forward, all the reports I read (from Feb / March 2019) mention a planned vote of approval by the various countries in June 2019 but I could not find any report of such a vote.

11. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    At least they will work on sunny day driving only Ferraris. They become inoperable in conditions where they are more likely needed. It's all brilliant.

12. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Well that's new, or maybe specific to some markets. The HELE in my 2018 Lusso stays OFF when I set it OFF (and yes, it's always set to OFF).

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    My May delivery 2019 Lusso, HELE has to be turned off with every start, and I have to turn on the cruise control, mash the shock button (usually in Sort mode am I), mash the Auto button, and optionally mash REV if I'm backing out. I'm used to that now though. The worst of all is the sound system when volume is fully quiet, upon restart it is bumped up a little. My wife's Porsche does that too and I hated it, still do.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  14. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    usually in Sport mode :)

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Rick how was the paint on your new Lusso; did Todd work on it?
    Do you miss your FF?

16. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Todd did the work. The paint needed some correction. He put a three layer Kamikaze ceramic coating on it which is amazing!!!

The FF was great but the Lusso is significantly better. The compression is 13.5:1 but in Auto mode it will happily go to 7th gear at 35 mph, perfectly smooth! Once cruise control is engaged it goes to 7th by 35 but takes quite a bit of time to get frisky when pushed so when I make a turn I usually disable Auto, then do my own downshifting to 1st or 2nd gear and make the turn, then it is VERY responsive. It seems a bit better planted although the FF was great there. The infotainment system has some quirky defaults. The sign recognition is a waste. The adaptive cruise is near perfect. They did something with the padding in the seats making it much more comfortable without making the seats soft. Mirrors are far better even though the rear window is much smaller. It is not as loud when starting but my guys in the office say when I get on it leaving the office the sound is far more impressive with the Lusso, and inside the car I agree. Just a bit different, and quite possibly louder :). Aerodynamics are far different, front and rear, I love it.

ScottS and Caeruleus11 like this.
  17. Shamus

Shamus Rookie

Mar 29, 2019
    I took delivery of my 2020 812 Superfast yesterday. It doesn’t have the square blob on the front grill someone mentioned earlier and only FCAM was a mandatory option when I ordered it. The FCAM has the features in Rick’s post but none of the braking options. Also if you want a front parking camera my understanding is that you now must order the surround view system but beware that it adds cameras to the side mirrors which or orbs attached to the bottom of the mirrors which in my opinion don’t complement the aesthetic of the car well.

ScottS and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. Shamus

Shamus Rookie

Mar 29, 2019
    Sorry should have said horsin’ around post!

19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations!

20. TheBlueCarbon36

May 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Blue Carbon
    What optional cause the car to have that squared hole? The Adas pack or the 360 cam? Are the new one going to have this aswell or was it only on the early ones with the new systems?

21. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #46 Napoli, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    The square hole is for front radar/cruise control. Optional in USA.

22. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    The 812 sound system volume can be permanently turned down (but, not off) in settings so it doesn't blare upon every startup. Maybe this can be done in the Lusso. too.