Different Peppers | FerrariChat

Different Peppers

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Jdubbya, Sep 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    A couple years ago Ron (streetsurfer) turned us on to Datil peppers. He had an abundant harvest and offered to send some of us what he couldn't use. I really liked them. I am a fan of spicy and they are spicy. From what I remember they were a different sort of heat, hit the back of the tongue versus more run of the mill peppers like Jalapeno.

This year I was putting in a bigger garden than I have in the past and I found an old farmer not far from me who was selling tomato and pepper starts. I bought a few of each and they have been pretty healthy plants and producing well.

I am growing 11 pepper plants and only three of them are not spicy peppers. I have a few pretty run of the mill type, a couple jalapeno and a habanero. I also have a Helio's habanero, I don't see much difference between it and just a regular one. They both are producing pretty heavily but I don't know if they'll ripen before the weather gets too cold. We'll see.

The ones that have really interested me though are the Fresno chili and one called Bulgarian carrot. The Fresno I've heard of before but never grown and I didn't think they were that hot. I cut up part of one on a salad tonight though and my lips were burning!! They are 2-3x the size of a jalapeno but the plant only produced probably 10 pepper total. The jalapeno plants I've been regularly harvesting 6-8 peppers every few days, much more prolific.

The Bulgarian Carrot reminds me a lot of the Datil pepper except they are bigger. Bright orange with bright green stem (hence the carrot name). They say they are about 10x hotter than a jalapeno but like the Datil pepper I think they are a different sort of heat. Little fruity taste like habanero but maybe a little less hot.

Anyone into growing peppers? I think I found some datil pepper seeds to try next spring and I definitely want to grow more than one Bulgarian carrot plant too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

daviday likes this.
  2. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh, and I also have a Long-hot-thai plant that is loaded but has also been slow to ripen. They'd probably be good dried but I've just been using them fresh. /not near as hot as the others though. They are long skinny ones, probably 6-8 inches.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've been considering it because I eat jalapenos with almost every meal. I actually just ordered a small led grow light to start thinking of a setup for growing. I'd prefer to try to do indoors so I can limit the potential for bugs while learning. I'm thinking of putting it in the front bedroom because I could put the grow light over it but also have sun light hitting it as well. It would give me an excuse to install a fan in there.

What do you use for potting mix and nutrients?

4. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    Very nice. I love peppers... Hard to see but only picture I have. Buddy grew some Italian hots that have been drying. Never cooked with them before but have a bunch I’ll play with. I was sort of hoping that I wouldn’t have needed to chop/crush them but this yielded no flavor from the pepper that I could taste.

Indoor/outdoor growing I would suggest neem oil for organic pest control.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomc likes this.
  5. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I’d love to have a garden but way too many trees, not enough sun, and tons of deer - they’d probably leave the peppers alone. Think I’m stuck getting peppers at Wegman’s or a farmers market.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hot peppers grow well in DFW area. Wife bought some jalapeño seeds and these are bad a$$! So, I've been pickling them and smoked a batch. Have a couple drying out in the backyard shed.

We also tried Calabrian chili peppers this year. No go, but mainly because the cucuzza we planted spread like a weed and pretty much crowded most things out.

In the past, we've had success with banana peppers, but gave up because one of our neighbors grows them by the bushel. Tried pequin peppers last year. Hot little buggers. Dry well.

Bell peppers also do well here...T

7. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    So...to dig up an old thread.....I took ALL my peppers at the end of the season last year and threw them all into a batch of hot-sauce. I have a recipe that is really simple, just basically peppers, whatever kind you like, some vinegar, some water and salt, and I think I threw in a little onion and garlic this time. Throw it all in a pot and just bring it to a nice rolling boil then shut it off. Blend or process the cooked stuff up then toss it in jars and shove it away in a dark cupboard or corner for 3-4 months. Doesn't get much easier than that.

I ended up with about 4 pint jars 3/4 filled with the mixture. I pulled one out a couple weeks ago and finished the process. To finish you just process it up as fine as you want or can then strain if you want a bottled liquid sauce, or you can leave it chunky if you want something more like Sambal consistency. I chose this year to bottle it all up so just ran it through a fine mesh strainer after blending it all up again. I ended up with about six 5-ounce hot sauce bottles full. Oh, and I added just a touch more vinegar to thin it out to how I wanted it.

It is spicy but not overwhelming. I used quite a few of the Bulgarian carrots, a lot of the long hot Thai's, and a bunch of ripe and green Hamabero's. Probably mostly habaneros and long hot Thais. Might have been a few Jalapenos and maybe a couple Fresnos too but I was eating most of those as they ripened. I like it. Brought a bottle in to work to share and everyone has loved it. I only wish I'd have actually kept track of exactly how I did it and what peppers I used.

TexasF355F1, C50 and tomc like this.