Clear Bra and Ceramic Coating Compatability? | FerrariChat

Clear Bra and Ceramic Coating Compatability?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ncjetskier, Sep 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I purchased a car wrapped in clear bra (I have no idea what kind). I did a search and there were numerous posts about either waxing or putting Ceramic Coating on the clear bra to protect the clear bra.

My question is "has there been any studies on how the ceramic coating chemically reacts to the clear bra - either in a good way or bad"? Clear bra (chemically) is much different than paint.

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I do not know of any studies. I know from experience that if you clear bra a car and ceramic coat it that it will always look amazing and you'll drive it in the rain and not care one bit. i highly recommend it.

3. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

At worst you would ceramic coat up to the clear bra but not over it.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    dont ceramic the paint....ceramic over the ppf

obbob likes this.
  5. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I intent do ceramic coat over the clear bra, but my concern is how the coating reacts with the clear bra over time. Will it brittle -tize the clear bra, will it make yellow over time. So my question is, does anybody know how a ceramic coating chemically reacts with clear bra vs. paint?

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    To me the answer is pretty simple… Ceramic needs to be wet sanded to get it off the paint… Put the ceramic on the plastic and don’t risk it

7. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Not all ceramics need to be sanded off. I’ve removed them from paint with compounding.
    To the OP, I don’t know the chemistry behind it but depending on what brand of film and coating you go with, I’ve seen coatings last years on ppf with no I’ll effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Jkuz

Jkuz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    John K
    I have XPEL clear bra on the front spoiler of my 308 and was just looking up the ceramic coating the installer recommended. They make one (XPEL.com) that is made to go over their clear bra, and maybe others? I haven't tried yet, but it seems like this would be a good bet.

9. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
  10. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I have ceramic coating on all my F cars. Works great if you think it through and be carful about a installer selling only what he has access to.

Here is the stress point. If you want to remove a ceramic coating you need to polish it off. Coatings last 1 to 3 years in the real world not the marketing world. Polishing PPF is a high risk task. You can try re coating but that can also be problematic after a few years due to chemist.

I use car pro cquartz skin. One of the very, maybe only product designed to go over PPF. It can be chemically removed, no polishing needed. Now the trade off is a bit shorter life. But looks great.

Just food for thought.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    how is polishing ppf high risk - way easier to polish that than paint. and ppf needs to be replaced every few years anyway. burning paint is bad. burning ppf (if even possible) is a whatever, just replace it.

BOKE likes this.
  12. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I don’t know I just hear that on a number of detail forums. I understand you might have a different view or information than me. That happens often too me!

I know of only one polish designed for PPF, but I’m sure more will be coming.

I thought good PPF’s on the market now last 5+ year. With ceramic coatings in real life lasting 1-3. I only have a year on my expel PPF, so no views. But my M5 with 3M made it 6 years or so. But I have never had a ceramic coating go much more than 2 years based upon my gloss meter and beading test.

My guess would be compounds and polishes are designed but their manufacturers either for clear coat paint or single stage paint that is applied to a hard surface such as metal or CF.

PPF is a plastic and depending on the manufacturer having different hardness and stretchable (like self healing)

Using my logic, which may be wrong, it seem like polishes designed for one type of materials might not work best for a second type.. Such as using a metal polish on glass would not be my personal first choice.

But like I said, just what I have read, and my version of logic... which my wife says is questionable many times !

Thoughts?

Solid State likes this.
  13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    My detail guy says you can't polish PPF nearly as aggressive as paint and you need to be more aggressive to polish ceramic so I agree with your logic. I had my PPF replaced after 6 years and held my breath that the paint did not pull. Considered it very lucky it did not. Hated putting it back on but need the protection. You raise a good point about ceramic over self healing film which is why I chose not to. It won't last as long as the film and you can't really take it off. I do wonder the impact of hard glass coatings on the stretchy self-healing qualities of the better PPFs. Would need a chemist to answer I suppose.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MobileJay likes this.
  14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Theres no reason to ever polish ppf. It shld last as long as the ceramic

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

BOKE likes this.
  15. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    I’ve tested the self healing ppf when coated with a ceramic and it didn’t have any I’ll effects to the seals healing.

Solid State likes this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    No one else has ever reported issues either but to me it doesn't make sense. A hard glass coating shouldn't allow the plastic to reseal dents or scratches but hated chemistry. :)

17. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Haha same here. I don’t understand it that’s why I just go for things I can see and not try to understand the chemistry behind it.