One of the earliest Radio Controlled Model cars was a 250LM? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

One of the earliest Radio Controlled Model cars was a 250LM?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by DavidWP, Apr 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ron54

ron54 Rookie

Jul 18, 2012
    #26 ron54, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    I will take mine down to the Post Office tomorrow and get an approximate cost, that will give us a rough idea. A message to the seller could change his mind re. posting to the USA.

2. ron54

ron54 Rookie

Jul 18, 2012
    Hello again David, further to my last ....Tracked & Signed will be £21 GBP which translates to around $26/$27 (at the moment)

3. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Thanks very much, Ron, I appreciate your efforts on my behalf. The shipping price is good and the bidding is still reasonable so far but I am going to pass on this one. The car continues to intrigue me however I am at the age that I am divesting hobby items plus my history search is complete since I have verified the existence of this car and the release date. Auction fever is a strong addiction but my rational side says no.
    Thanks again for your generous offer.
    Regards,
    David

Image Unavailable, Please Login

PS: It was imported in the USA according to this January, 1967 issue of Car Model magazine. Note that we got the 'big block' 275LM version. :D

4. ron54

ron54 Rookie

Jul 18, 2012
    You are welcome David..It would be interesting to know where in the world it will end up...it’s a limited market with it being that age and that scale I would have thought.

5. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    El. GI. elgi Ellegi 1/12 Ferrari 250 lm berlinetta remotely controlled Pocher size

Winning bid:
    EUR 53.62
    Approximately US $58.76

A last second sniper got it very cheap, hope it found a good home!

6. Paul Hancock

Paul Hancock Rookie

Feb 21, 2020
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Paul Stuart Hancock
    I have one do these have any value I am 64 mow had this when I was 10?

7. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Ebay in recent months shows selling prices from US$275 boxed in excellent condition to US$58 for one missing parts and transmitter.

Paul Hancock likes this.
  8. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Score! On Italian eBay, I found the magazine mentioned previously and it is wending its way to The Central Hoosier Flatlands! I tested my plan to scan Italian with my Optical Character Reader, copy and paste into Google translate - Italian to English. It resulted in about 85% readable English so I think I can interpret it from there. Now the long wait for the magazine.

9. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Paul Hancock and Rosey like this.
  10. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
  11. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    I have never tried it because the rear wheels won't turn by hand and I can't figure out the batteries. The manual stipluates 2 9V and 6 '#6' cells?

I'm also looking for more info on a Marcraft Ferrari 308. Supposedly these were sold through Radio Shack in the 70s? I found out they were also available as command prompt toys with buttons on the roof but that's all I know. It does not work.

12. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    By the way I enjoyed reading your web site, you have done a lot of great research.

DavidWP likes this.
  13. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Finally, I scored a running example of the ElGi Ferrari 250LM on eBay tonight! Included with the eBay pictures of the car was this sales receipt. Since the heart of my research has been to determine when the LM was first available, the date on this receipt is of particular interest. The year is clearly 1966 but the day and month are difficult to decipher. Can anyone tell me what the day and month are? Lots more pictures when the car arrives in a week or so, it is coming from New York state to me in the Central Hoosier Flatlands, USA.

14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    14th October 1966

DavidWP likes this.
  15. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    It's here! My very rare, very expensive eBay find arrived in good knick today. It is complete and low miles, I am anxious to get into soon. And thanks to all for your advice and counsel! David

Ryan S., Lusso123 and Rosey like this.
  16. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Now that I have a car, I can answer your question about the batteries - Two 9V, one in the transmitter and one in the car as shown, six "C" cells in the car:

I would be very interested in knowing if you get it running.

Sorry, I am not familiar with the Marcraft Ferrari 308.

Regards,
    David

17. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Bump on this one. Has anyone seen any for sale lately?

18. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    The one I bought in March this year on eBay is missing the windshield wiper and has a broken grille. I have a watch for one on eBay but haven't seen any since March. I am just looking for a junker for parts.

Rosey likes this.
  19. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    For those still interested in this search, I have documented RC cars back to 1954, none others are Ferraris, however. Photo shows a rather unusual, but award winning, 1954 home-built car. I don't think battery life was very long when the headlight was on. Details on my continuing search HERE.

Aardy likes this.