Know anyone who gave up on owning exciting cars and went full boring cars? | FerrariChat

Know anyone who gave up on owning exciting cars and went full boring cars?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by TeamF1Jr, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I had a distant friend that passed away recently in his early 90s. In his younger days he was a rebel. Owned Maserati SM, Ferrari Daytona, Miura, Alfa Romeo Montreal and others. Just seemed ahead of his time, a true playboy, then when he hit his 60s he just didn't care anymore. Went full Lexus and never turned back. Never had the chance to ask him what changed, but he was healthy physically and financially.

Do you know anyone like that?

vraa likes this.
  2. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Even the boring stuff can be pretty exciting these days ...

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    My dad.

Mercedes 190SL, MGA. His last real sports car was his 1981 308 GTSi that he bought in ‘85.

Then he bought three Honda Accords, one after another.

Matt

4. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    My 87' year old Father as well! He had a 50' Olds with the Rocket V-8, 59' MGA, 68' 427 Vette, 70' 455 Toro, 73' Pontiac GP SJ
    with a 455' and the last was a new 85' Vette he kept for several years. He did buy a 57' T-bird after the Vette, but since then it's
    been four door full size Caddy's with a few mini-vans and Suburbans thrown in for Mom to drive....go figure?

Smiles likes this.
  5. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    life changes, priorities change, bucket lists get fulfilled, people change, simple

6. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Uh....me. Just a car guy who drove for fun, 'needed' to get home from vacation to drive, F1 fan for too many years...............now, dislike wasted time in a car, racing is getting stale, etc. Life changes....still getting used to it. 68 soon(gulp).....still getting used to it. :)

DGPF likes this.
  7. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I have wondered about this myself. When I retire I know I will have a lot less disposable income. I'm thinking of going one car - 911. I've never owned a Porsche let alone a 911. In fact I have only sat in a 911.

Probably not what we're talking about here but only having one car scares me, even if it is a 911.

8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I went full circle. In my younger days, I always had at least one "fun" car, usually just what I could afford. Started with Camaro's, Fiat 124, Spitfire, and finally, a 15 year love/hate relationship with an enhanced '73 911-T. After getting rid of the 911, I went years with boring cars and SUV's. I started back with a very nice SL63, but that car was just too computerized and automated. I felt I couldn't keep it past the end of the warranty. Now I have a 360.

I'm still in the honeymoon stage when everything seems to be never ending and hopefully, this new romance will blossom into a long term comfortable affair.

9. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ahhhh.....so true.

technom3 likes this.
  10. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    #10 mclaudio, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019

True for me. Car guy since formative years. Raced in 90s/00s/early 10s. Still enjoy visceral drives of motorsport-heritage cars. But much less interested in racing.

Not into hyper/supercars unless raced. A handful of cars left that I would own. Quality not quantity; two hobby cars max. Interested in other pursuits.

19633500GT and plastique999 like this.
  11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Sort of me. I have a 911 but I don't really enjoy it here in Illinois. So flat. So straight. So many potholes. So many cops. So many minivans. So much snow and rain.

I will revisit when I get the hell out of this forsaken state to some place a bit more hilly and dry. Hoping to pick up a Diablo that will make me sweat.

12. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

The age thing can cause it for sure. My dad is going from a 911 cab to an SL mercedes for a softer ride and a car to put more miles on. I do have a funny story about a high school kid I knew in the early 2000s. He is still known for this move to this day. Gets the keys to a 2 year old 911 turbo porsche as a gift from his grandparents. He then proceeds to drive to the Lexus dealer to trade it in for a (then new) Sc430 convertible. When asked why he would do something so ridiculous he stated "I didn't want to have to learn to drive stick" LOL!! Every time we see him today somebody always drops the "this guy makes horrible decisions in life" line to him.

True story.

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It happens. My dad and my father in law were both car guys when young. Now, they couldn't care less.

I'm in my 50's and I still dig cars, but not with the same passion as when I was young. It might be a little like the movie "10" - I wanted a Ferrari for so long, now I have it. It's been great and it's fun to drive, but all the little quirks and lack of time - I start to see what it really is...work.

In any event, I don't think my passion will ever be gone, but it may wane a bit.

greg328 likes this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well once u have kids it changes too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg328 and technom3 like this.
  15. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    It's a mindset man, can't let kids change that TOO much.

Sure we had more free time, more income, and less responsibility, but you find different ways to "make it count"

VAF84 likes this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I have more money with kids than before. It’s just time and practicality of the said car. I got a FF amongst other cars but with twins it’s a van u need;) the g wagon and Escalade still don’t fit enough stuff;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vraa and bart12 like this.
  17. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    #17 bart12, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    I am in the midroad to this. Priority changed. Started to buy cars when I had no kids. NO I have 3 small kids, who loves to go on rides with the special cars and do long trips, dont have time to ride the 2 seaters.

And also, I dont feel I enjoy it more then when I only had 1-2 special cars and 2 DD. I had 10 cars and no time to drive it. There is something wrong with that I think.

So right now, I rather have a luxury SUV and keep 1 or 2 cars for special occasions.

I sold my RS, turbo S. I am still wanting to sell more cars but thinking about it carefully. I dont want any sellers remorse which has happened a number of times already.

But I am sure of one thing, my scud stays.

18. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo

I totally feel yah. I sold my Turbo S to buy my wife an Escallade ESV. I thought it was big enough, then we bought 2 german sheperds which we bring on trips.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Im getting there. The only fun car I have is the ML63 and when thats ready to go I will probably just get a 'normal' SUV

I drive as little as possible these days. People on the road are too irritating.

Just today I had a guy who looked 1050 years old pull out in front of me from his home driveway while my dog was in the car and I had to slam on the brakes and catch her

Its just no fun any more.

20. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Maybe someone already said this, but I think a big part of this scenario is that all the nicer classic cars became too expensive. And not even expensive as “cars” but expensive as “investment grade art”. It’s such a turn off. On the other side of the cool car spectrum. Modern super car prices have more than doubled in 15 years and that certainly isn’t all inflation in that time. I know there are other factors at work here, but this costs me a lot of enthusiasm.

21. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    A few days ago, I took a nice long drive to nowhere in my 360 gated Spider with the top down. The roads were dry, the temp was around 62F and all the lights were green. I saw a bunch of other nice cars and a guy with a brand new Corvette told me he loved my car. Sure, there are times when driving is a hassle but there are also times when it is cathartic and like nothing else. Live for those days and forget the rat race.

albkid, bball16 and anunakki like this.
  22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have slowed down a bit in the last few years, when it comes to buying cars. My reasons are different though, I just don't find that many cars that interesting. I went car shopping with my neighbor (also a forum member who owns a Ferrari), and his wife yesterday. I was amazed by the fact that nothing caught my interest, but I do want to test drive a new MB E53 convertible, which they did not have. The weather has been pretty nice here for December and I took the AMG GTS out of storage last week. I had it out yesterday, It is not a car for the faint of heart, or larger body sizes, but it is the type of car that I find appealing, lets you know you are still alive.

boxerman and plastique999 like this.
  23. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Being in the mid 30s, this thread makes me depressed! I hope I never lose that passion and love.

Take care all

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

bball16, MalcQV and vraa like this.
  24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    still passionate.

although my father just got a carrera 4s cabrio and was going to flip it but decided to keep it because it actually works.....

25. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I love my FF but sometimes I just prefer my moms RX450h, talk about soccer momobile